NEWS

Shadowrun 5th Edition at Origins in Columbus

• 7 Replies

Sperl

• Newb
« on: <05-13-13/1343:57> »
Hello,
At Origins this year in June, there is a group of Shadowrun games scheduled. They are SRM5A-01 thru -04, and a 4 hour session called "Welcome to the 6th World" which, as far as I can tell, is an introduction where you make your character and learn about the game. Is the "Welcome to the 6th World" session required before playing in any of the modules? I do not having a pre-existing living campaign character.

Thanks for any replies.
Brian

StarManta

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <05-13-13/1427:10> »
It's not required, but it's recommended. You have three basic options:

1) Play in a Wtt6W session. You'll create a character and get up to speed on the rules/world in one swoop.

2) Use a pregen character.

3) Create a character on your own. There's not yet any guarantee that the 5E book will be available before Origins, so with this option, you may be rolling the dice that you'll be able to have your character made before your first scheduled session.

I recommend option 1. Even with option 3, the only way you can be sure to have time to make your character is to not schedule a game in the first session or two's timeframe; why not schedule a Wtt6W session then and get a guided tour?
« Last Edit: <05-13-13/1433:07> by StarManta »

Sperl

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <05-14-13/0903:11> »
I'd love to play Welcome to the Sixth World, but it filled up in less than 20 minutes on the Origins site, and I got a ticket for every game but that one. There are only 6 seats available for Welcome to the 6th world. It doesn't seem very important if they are only willing to handle 6 people making characters and learning the rules in a 4 hour session. Either way. thank you for the reply.

Sperl

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <05-14-13/0921:17> »
I did, however, manage to get a seat on the SRM-5A1 "Chasin the Wind" at the exact same time they are running the first "Welcome to the 6th World", noon on Wednesday. If this is the first time 5th edition is being run, who is playing in this game if the first session of making characters and learning the game is at the same time at another table? I'm confused and frustrated by this. I have played in living campaigns before and wish to start my own character versus playing some pregenerated one.

Tsuzua

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <05-14-13/1203:23> »
I did, however, manage to get a seat on the SRM-5A1 "Chasin the Wind" at the exact same time they are running the first "Welcome to the 6th World", noon on Wednesday. If this is the first time 5th edition is being run, who is playing in this game if the first session of making characters and learning the game is at the same time at another table? I'm confused and frustrated by this. I have played in living campaigns before and wish to start my own character versus playing some pregenerated one.
I noticed that as well. Assuming they're at least selling the book at Origins, you can always play one session with a pregen, buy the book, make a new character, and transfer the cash and karma over.

Timothy M. Patrick

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <05-14-13/1421:20> »
The Welcome to the 6th world is by no means a requirement it will help you build your own character as stated in this thread. You will get a simple run and some Karma and Nuyen to boot.

At regular mission play we will have pre generated characters available for those who do not yet have their own character. You can always take the gains from that pre gen and apply it to a character of your own creation as long as it is done before you play it a second time.

Have no fear on the tickets come down with Generics we always can take more people especially for welcomes and have extra GM’s on site if the total grows too large for any of the games.
Co-Host of CriticalGlitch a Shadowrun podcast Criticalglitch.com

Teutonic Overlord

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #6 on: <05-15-13/2136:31> »
Good evening everyone!

Thanks to the CDT Agents that have responded with excellent answers!

To shed a little light on why I scheduled the events the way they are has to do with previous attendance numbers for each day.  In addition, there will be some players that want to jump straight into SR5 with pre-gens, so to satisfy our varied fanbase, I scheduled Welcomes and SRMs/CMPs concurrently.  Not to forget, this is the first time that Origins has seen Welcome events; we started at GenCon 2012 and have continued running them through each subsequent convention of which I've had a part in planning.  They have been a huge success.

Our GMs may (and usually do) accept a 7th player with generic tickets as long as they are comfortable doing so.  An 8th player is only accepted under very specific conditions.

Each time slot (except Wed at 1400) has what we call a Floating GM in the event we have a large number of players show up with generic tickets.  Depending on the players' desires (and previous/planned events), the Floating GM might run another Welcome, an SRM, or a CMP.  Some of the GMs are so accomodating, that, even if they are not the scheduled Floating GM, they will run a pick up game for players...those are truly the superstar CDT Agents!

A note as to why only 6 players instead of more at a Welcome event...well, there's only one GM to assist the players in creating characters for a brand new edition...that is a lot of work...but as I mentioned before, the GM can (and probably will) accept more.  We want to make sure that all our fans receive the attention and quality they deserve from our team!

We will do what we can to accomodate you and try to make your experience the best possible.  If you have problems, please try to work it out with your CDT Agent, if that fails, come to the Room Captain (at the CDT RPG HQ table in the room), or please find me!
Ray Rigel
Former Shadowrun Missions Developer and Event Coordinator
Catalyst Demo Team

DireRadiant

• SRM FAQ Committee
  • Omae
  • The Dragon Never Sleeps
« Reply #7 on: <05-20-13/2022:49> »
Origins ... woo woo. I'm looking forward to it.