NEWS

Street Lethal - New toys, few gems

• 99 Replies

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« on: <06-18-18/1640:50> »
Browsing the newly released Street Lethal source book, I find some very high strung SciFi stuff like (Anti-)Grav Drives (Not for runners to purchase), some nice additions for Small Unit Tactics maneuvers and lots and lots of vendor trash weapons that come with one gimmick that isn't really worth it or awesome but impractical.

That said, there are a few real gems in it:

The Winchester Airbow is a gun that shoots arrows - and therefore an ideal weapon for alchemists who aren't trolls.

LONE STAR’S BATES-BROWN TACTICAL COMBAT BOOTS have insane AP -4 with STR+2, are legal and down't occupy your hands. The ACC of 4 is bad, but once you turn them into a weapon focus and add the correct bond, that limit is no longer an issue.

Finally, there is the red dot sight, giving you +1 ACC and +1 dice at short range without needing to be wireless.

Honorable Mention to the PSG Enforcer Sniper Rifle that's just a bit more expensive than the Cavalier Arms Crockett EBR, doesn't have BF, but has -4 AP, making it a prime candidate for SA Bull's Eye Burst.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Prime Mover

• Omae
  • Prime Runners need Prime Fixers
« Reply #1 on: <06-18-18/1921:33> »
Just gave it once over, lots of stuff to take in.  I like some of more outlandish tech stuff, great fodder for deepest darkest Corp labs. Got some supression rules for HV weapons.  Another mention of cyber Zombies but still no rules for them.  New fab tech even though still missing some of fab rules.

Like info on security and mercs and some merc haven info without feeling like reading travelouge like some previous editions.

All in all a lot to take in and even with just quick once over found myself drawn into several sections.  Enjoying writing and the creativity.
Why do things happen the way they happen? For
all I know the world Is Just one big game and all of
our actions are determined by the roll of a die.
-  Dunkelzahn,  Great-Dragon

adzling

« Reply #2 on: <06-18-18/1931:19> »
the anti-grav stuff is nutso imho.
especially the idea of sticking it in a grenade?!
it makes zero sense, really.

the boots are quite a bit OP imho.

otherwise some ok stuff in the book.

Browsing the newly released Street Lethal source book, I find some very high strung SciFi stuff like (Anti-)Grav Drives (Not for runners to purchase), some nice additions for Small Unit Tactics maneuvers and lots and lots of vendor trash weapons that come with one gimmick that isn't really worth it or awesome but impractical.

That said, there are a few real gems in it:

The Winchester Airbow is a gun that shoots arrows - and therefore an ideal weapon for alchemists who aren't trolls.

LONE STAR’S BATES-BROWN TACTICAL COMBAT BOOTS have insane AP -4 with STR+2, are legal and down't occupy your hands. The ACC of 4 is bad, but once you turn them into a weapon focus and add the correct bond, that limit is no longer an issue.

Finally, there is the red dot sight, giving you +1 ACC and +1 dice at short range without needing to be wireless.

Honorable Mention to the PSG Enforcer Sniper Rifle that's just a bit more expensive than the Cavalier Arms Crockett EBR, doesn't have BF, but has -4 AP, making it a prime candidate for SA Bull's Eye Burst.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #3 on: <06-18-18/1940:33> »
So a troll/orc melee adept formerly of Hard Corps with the moniker Stumper? In the making!
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #4 on: <06-18-18/2031:04> »

I really enjoyed the meta update, it looks like the perfect time to make that Ex-Fire Watch Character as far the meta goes.

Getting the weapons for NT was also nice. Also some very solid NPC stats, that prof 5 combat mage was a cool read.

The thing that jumped out at me was the Blood Drinker Combat Axe, P-Limit Accuracy, legal starting, a very nice piece of hardware, and not even the cheesiest weapon in there.

Some interesting qualities, and of course Small unit Tactics I think is the overall winner for me, I felt like we hadn't been getting good use out of leadership rules in 5th.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #5 on: <06-21-18/1119:26> »
Yeah I'm liking it! Nice to see underused categories like holdouts getting some love as well
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <06-21-18/1131:05> »
I really like the heavy pistol taser. We are lucky it's a gun so we can actually get meaningful to it's accuracy.
Thinking
com
speaking

Checkmate

• Newb
  • -]|[-
« Reply #7 on: <06-21-18/1223:54> »
Some of the stuff in the experimental tech chapter is interesting form a metaplot perspective. Lots of stuff that's currently high tier would be vulnerable. A unit of mundanes armed with plasma rifles would actually be capable of presenting a serious threat threat to insect spirits, dragons, etc. since The DV and AP on those are high enough to rip right through ITNW and Hardened Armor. It's not enough by itself, since mundanes are obviously still hella vulnerable to a variety of spells, but it's interesting none the less... Of 'course that only applies if that stuff winds up showing up more in the future metaplots (which it very well may not.)

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <06-21-18/1255:06> »
I really like the heavy pistol taser. We are lucky it's a gun so we can actually get meaningful to it's accuracy.

At first look I thought so too, but if you get closer into the blurb you realize that the thing is nothing to write home about:
It's direct competition is the Defiance Ex-Shocker:
The Tingler has one more DV but one worse ACC. With higher dp that means the Tingler will do equal damage on a hit but hit less often. It only has two shots and is SS, so it can't benefit from Double Tap or SA Burst. Finally, it's harder to conceal than the other tasers, while costing only 10 Nuyen less than the Defiance. Also you don't get the neat Bio-Monitor effect of the Defiance or it's ability to be used as a melee weapon.
talk think matrix

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #9 on: <06-21-18/1426:33> »

At first look I thought so too, but if you get closer into the blurb you realize that the thing is nothing to write home about:
It's direct competition is the Defiance Ex-Shocker:
The Tingler has one more DV but one worse ACC. With higher dp that means the Tingler will do equal damage on a hit but hit less often. It only has two shots and is SS, so it can't benefit from Double Tap or SA Burst. Finally, it's harder to conceal than the other tasers, while costing only 10 Nuyen less than the Defiance. Also you don't get the neat Bio-Monitor effect of the Defiance or it's ability to be used as a melee weapon.

Does it allow full heavy pistol range?  If it does, that could give it an interesting niche.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <06-21-18/1454:33> »
One more damage?  I have the Tingler's DV as 11S(e) in my notes.  (At work and away from my book.)  Was that changed?
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <06-21-18/1457:31> »
It's 10S(e) in the book. And I'm sure it's taser range as it doesn't say anything else about it.
Your points are legit Jack, I still think it's fun. But it would be nicer if it was 11S(e)
Thinking
com
speaking

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <06-21-18/1502:10> »
Hmm.  Well, all the math I did to balance it with the available tasers was done at 11DV.   :o
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <06-21-18/1503:02> »
Good to know, that would indeed have given it a competitive edge.
talk think matrix

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <06-21-18/1505:09> »
I guess that one for the errata team then?
Thinking
com
speaking