• 29 Replies

theKernel

• Omae
  • I believe you like it served cold -Matador
« Reply #15 on: <01-16-12/1518:03> »
He died first game in a pool of his own excrement  :-[
HACK THE PLANET
Theres no place like 127.0.0.1
Always start and end character creation by asking yourself "why is this character not an ork." If you don't have a good answer you should be an ork. -UmaroVI
"Stay at least one lie ahead of everyone else"-Vitriol
SR4+++hbB?!Wdk++o+++++M+P-

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #16 on: <01-16-12/1531:05> »
Could be worse. I had a guy jump into a Rifts Phase World game after it had run about a year. His first RPG character was a Kreeghor Ley Line Walker.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <01-16-12/1532:39> »
*sighs*

So a character that's KoS throughout most of the Three Galaxies. That's definitely going for broke.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #18 on: <01-16-12/1535:23> »
Definitely ended up being a pro-Kreeghor party. Only way to not get geeked.

Red Canti

• Omae
  • Hybrid Rainbow
« Reply #19 on: <01-17-12/0015:10> »
She's ten, you need something...simpler than Shadowrun or DnD. I recommend Wu Shu Open, http://wiki.saberpunk.net/Wushu/WushuOpenRules. You're on your own for setting info I'm afraid, as there isn't really a WSO setting, just various rules. the GM is expected to take up that part.
"Always Trust Mr. Johnson, always. Just make sure he knows he'd regret betraying that trust."

Smileinbob

• Newb
« Reply #20 on: <01-17-12/0751:48> »
TBH Just find a mechanic system that you like and your comfortable with and build a setting with it that she will enjoy around it.
Way before i found out about shadowrun or even any other rpg other and ADnD, Me and my friend used the rules sets for 2nd ed to play way more than fantasy style games.
I had picked up the core books from a regular book store at the mall when i was a kid and there weren't any game stores local so i didn't even know other rpgs existed at the time. I can remember the name of it be we all saw this cheesy western in space movie with a lizard man with a ruby eyepatch and we just stripped the setting down and re worked some stuff to RP that style game with the old ADnD THAC0  system...

Like many others have said just make sure she gets its all about the story, and has fun. I have an 8 yo daughter who has been at games on and off sense she was born right now shes still about playing with dolls but im sure ill get her over to the dark side in a couple more years >:D

PS if anyone can remember the name of that movie pls let me know.. thats gonna kill me now :P

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #21 on: <01-17-12/0815:33> »
You're wrong, Canti. Ten doesn't mean they're incapable of doing SR or D&D. Have you ever heard a kid rattle off the stats of their pokemon? How many kids can use their smartphones better than their parents can use their computers? Give them cheat sheets, and help them learn the system while you make the game interesting for them, and they'll learn. And they'll probably get the system faster than an adult would.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #22 on: <01-17-12/0959:57> »
Most games can be boiled down to simple actions on the part of players.

Why the reasons and math behind the game rules can get complex, the majority of in-game activities can be either roleplayed out, or expressed as "What do you want to do? Roll these dice."

Detailed mechanics can come later. Whatever the game, the key is to get her to start playing a role.

-k

Red Canti

• Omae
  • Hybrid Rainbow
« Reply #23 on: <01-17-12/1357:58> »
You're wrong, Canti. Ten doesn't mean they're incapable of doing SR or D&D. Have you ever heard a kid rattle off the stats of their pokemon? How many kids can use their smartphones better than their parents can use their computers? Give them cheat sheets, and help them learn the system while you make the game interesting for them, and they'll learn. And they'll probably get the system faster than an adult would.
Regardless of their intelligence and aptitude for math (which I wasn't even talking about), the simpler the rules of a system are, the quicker the player can learn them and get through CharGen to actually get to the Role playing part. And the less likely they'll get bored in the middle of CharGen, give up and go play videogames. Start with something simple to hook them in, then you start bringing out the more complex stuff, later.
"Always Trust Mr. Johnson, always. Just make sure he knows he'd regret betraying that trust."

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #24 on: <01-17-12/1506:29> »
Bah. If you want to get someone involved in a game, you help them through chargen, or even give them pregens that they can play as they learn. Then, when they know a bit, you help them design their own character.

My Characters

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #25 on: <01-18-12/0155:15> »
Yeah, you never sit down with a new-to-RPGs player and just start going line by line through character creation.

Best thing to do at start is discuss the setting in non-rules terms. Where the game takes place, what kinda of people live there and what can they do, that sort of stuff.

Then ask what kind of character they want to try. Again, general non-rules-based discussion. Do they want to shoot guns? Do they want to be a good talker? Perhaps they might have some signature item or weapon they're known for?

Then you move on to the character's background. Where is he or she from? What family do they have? Social class? Significant events from their childhood? How do they tie into the setting?

By this time, they should either be engaged with the setting, or they don't like it and perhaps another game should be considered.

All this and we still haven't gotten into any rules yet.

Even when you get into the rules, there is no need to immediately go full-hog into the system. Nearly every modern roleplaying game has basic mechanics they revolve around. D&D like many RPGs has a "die roll plus modifiers versus a variable target number" primary mechanic. Shadowrun has dice pools against a static target number, and varies the number of successful rolls required it's main means of varying the difficulty. Other games compare die rolls to charts, or use poker cards instead of dice. And so on.

Some game systems are very complex when looked at in their entirety but even those, like just about every other game, can be boiled down to perhaps only half a dozen important mechanics that a player needs to regularly remember. Pretty much everything else is situational and can be ignored unless that specific situation comes up.

Even in character creation, you can generally simplify it down to "pick the main attributes, pick the main skills, get some gear and equipment, and you're good to go." Don't just have the player read through every skill and ability entry, use that discussion you had earlier to suggest a handful of selections based on what kind of character they were looking to make. There's no point in discussing ability set A too much if their expressed desire is to play a character that will probably best use ability set B.

Secondary stats and abilities can be left off til the player gets a better handle on game play, and it's advisable to allow the new player to adjust the character as they learn the system.

About the only game I can think of that can't easily be simplified down is perhaps Rolemaster and it's siblings. So many damn charts. Oh, and FATAL. Nobody should ever play that, no matter how experienced you are at gaming.

-k

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <01-18-12/0209:04> »
Yeah, you never sit down with a new-to-RPGs player and just start going line by line through character creation.

Best thing to do at start is discuss the setting in non-rules terms. Where the game takes place, what kinda of people live there and what can they do, that sort of stuff.

Then ask what kind of character they want to try. Again, general non-rules-based discussion. Do they want to shoot guns? Do they want to be a good talker? Perhaps they might have some signature item or weapon they're known for?

Then you move on to the character's background. Where is he or she from? What family do they have? Social class? Significant events from their childhood? How do they tie into the setting?

By this time, they should either be engaged with the setting, or they don't like it and perhaps another game should be considered.

Even when you get into the rules, there is no need to immediately go full-hog into the system. Nearly every modern roleplaying game has basic mechanics they revolve around. D&D like many RPGs has a "die roll plus modifiers versus a variable target number" primary mechanic. Shadowrun has dice pools against a static target number, and varies the number of successful rolls required it's main means of varying the difficulty. Other games compare die rolls to charts, or use poker cards instead of dice. And so on.

Some game systems are very complex when looked at in their entirety but even those, like just about every other game, can be boiled down to perhaps only half a dozen important mechanics that a player needs to regularly remember. Pretty much everything else is situational and can be ignored unless that specific situation comes up.

Even in character creation, you can generally simplify it down to "pick the main attributes, pick the main skills, get some gear and equipment, and you're good to go." Don't just have the player read through every skill and ability entry, use that discussion you had earlier to suggest a handful of selections based on what kind of character they were looking to make. There's no point in discussing ability set A too much if their expressed desire is to play a character that will probably best use ability set B.

Secondary stats and abilities can be left off til the player gets a better handle on game play, and it's advisable to allow the new player to adjust the character as they learn the system.

About the only game I can think of that can't easily be simplified down is perhaps Rolemaster and it's siblings. So many damn charts. Oh, and FATAL. Nobody should ever play that, no matter how experienced you are at gaming.

-k

I'd like to add one to the list of "not for new gamers".  I wouldn't advise starting a new gamer with any of the Palladium systems. I personally love Rifts as a game, but the system is definitely not for complete newbies to the hobby.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #27 on: <01-18-12/0210:42> »
The old Star Wars D6 system was what I suggested to new players.  Now?  I don't know.  :(
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #28 on: <01-18-12/0722:57> »
FATAL, known elsewhere on the net as "the Game Which Shall Not Be Named".

My Characters

Slazarith

• Newb
  • Meh
« Reply #29 on: <01-18-12/1030:46> »
*snip*

*snip*

This. Took the word right out of my mouth. Hell, I find myself doing this even with experienced players when introducing them to a new system. It's a hell of a lot easier to introduce the world than a string of numbers. :D