NEWS

white wolf games..

• 38 Replies

trea5on

• Newb
« on: <06-29-11/0214:38> »
way back in the late mid to late 90's i used to play a lot of vampire the masquerade and other white wolf games. i even got into the live action gaming, was really kinda neat. i really really liked the way they made there supernaturals have realistic idea's of how they'd fit in with society.

anyone here play any white wolf games currently or know if they're still continuing there storylines? i heard somewhere that in vampire cain woke up and killed everyone cuz the authors were mad about the underworld movies ripping them off, lol.

on a side-note, i have heard that there CCG is still very popular and still doing well? it was one i really liked too as it was more of a thinkers game, much like chess. only difference was, the more players, the more interesting and enjoyable it got.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <06-29-11/0730:31> »
The original storyline was ended, but WW made a new World of Darkness (called nWoD sometimes) that is still being produced.

Also, there is a hardcore social original WoD MMO being produced by the folks who made EVE online.  Since EVE is a hardcore space game, I think they can do WoD justice.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <06-29-11/1114:09> »
Since EVE is a hardcore space game, I think they can do WoD justice.
Assuming of course they survive this latest PR debacle..
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

Rascal

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <06-29-11/1146:08> »
nWoD is a great world to explore. Itīs a coherent game these days, not a shitload of different, barely-interlocking systems.
Itīs also placed on a lower level, you donīt have to worry about millennia-old vampires and the such.

But alas, if itīs the storyline/metaplot youīre after White Wolf donīt do that anymore.
"If you donīt stop driving through walls Iīm going to start rolling for the van to explode - this is an American game!"

trea5on

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <06-29-11/1319:54> »
hmm.. it'd be very interesting to read about this nwod.

i sorta fell off the ww after my live action stint. people were just wayyyy toooo serious about it, really took the fun out of it for me.

Blond Goth Girl

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <06-29-11/1721:46> »
Loved oWoD - been dying to get into it again.  The system was well rounded and flexible.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <06-30-11/0437:29> »
Also utterly without anything resembling game balance.  The powers listed made for great storytelling potential, but unless everyone at the table adheres very closely to the overall story consensus (only possible with people giving up any and all narrative control over their characters to the ST), then someone abuses* their powers and everyone else's character gets stomped on and hurt feelings sweep the table.

*i.e. uses their powers as listed.
There is no overkill.

trea5on

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <06-30-11/1445:48> »
Also utterly without anything resembling game balance.  The powers listed made for great storytelling potential, but unless everyone at the table adheres very closely to the overall story consensus (only possible with people giving up any and all narrative control over their characters to the ST), then someone abuses* their powers and everyone else's character gets stomped on and hurt feelings sweep the table.

*i.e. uses their powers as listed.

huh!??

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <06-30-11/1611:39> »
Their first outing with VtM yielded a vampire who could kill anyone on his turn with 30+ attacks, all doing aggravated damage.  With no chance of botching the roll.

The next edition fixed that, but introduced some rather...odd things (I drain the blood of anyone I want at range with no drawbacks? Jawsome!).

The final edition yielded someone (my Giovanni) who could suck the soul from anyone he desired and replace that with a willing slave.  Also, mosquito ghouls (errated, but still).  Also, someone in our group made a hammer that could drop 30+ aggravated damage in a single strike.  Someone else (me, sorry world) had a bevy of spectres floating around him at all times waiting to devour the soul of whomever the master drew out.

My character had a "revolving door" policy on PC death.  Meaning, if their character died, I would suck the soul out of someone nifty, they would inhabit said body and be reborn, again, as a human, then again as a vampire.

Stuff like that.
There is no overkill.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #9 on: <06-30-11/1925:05> »
I had a multi-genre game of WoD where my character's car had the highest intimidation ability of the entire group.

'Course, that was a reward for the extensive background I wrote for my character, as well as everything else I wrote up in preparation of the game.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

SirDelta

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <07-01-11/1521:34> »
I like Exalted.....

The only WoD game I looked at in any depth was the new Hunter.  The Vigil, I believe it was called.  That looked like it could be a very interesting horror or "normal people stepping up to face the supernatural" type game.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <07-01-11/2042:01> »
It is.

One of the things I like best about it is the section that deals with how the world deals with hunters of the supernatural, i.e. crazy quasi-terrorist people running around burning down stuff.  And how to avoid getting on the radar.
There is no overkill.

baronspam

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <07-08-11/2252:49> »

PR Debacle?  I haven't played Eve in a couple of years.  Did the boys at CCP do something dumb?

Also, is the World of Darkness MMO actually going forward?  It was announced years ago but CCP has had it in a holding pattern for a loooong time.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <07-09-11/1101:03> »
I saw some gameplay footage several months ago, don't know anything else, though.
There is no overkill.

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <07-09-11/1137:29> »

PR Debacle?  I haven't played Eve in a couple of years.  Did the boys at CCP do something dumb?

Also, is the World of Darkness MMO actually going forward?  It was announced years ago but CCP has had it in a holding pattern for a loooong time.

I'll dig up the articles later, but basically they started selling in game items for ridiculous prices in real world money (65 dollars for a t shirt your avatar could wear) but what got folks riled and started protests in Jita was a leaked internal memo that said CCP was planning to sell ships, ammo,weapons and other game affecting items for real world cash.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/07/04/eve-online-emergency-incarna-meeting-ccp-vs-the-csm/

http://www.diedagain.com/eves-pr-nightmare-could-cost-ccp-1-million

http://www.wraithwerks.net/blog/2011/06/my-thoughts-on-the-recent-ccp-.html
« Last Edit: <07-09-11/1139:25> by Digital_Viking »
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."