NEWS

Where to start with lore?

• 9 Replies

BlMage

• Newb
« on: <10-03-19/1254:29> »
New DM going to start a 6th ed game and oh man, that's a lot of lore. Like, a lot a lot. I've found entire timelines chalked full of info, but my question is until the metaplot book comes out is there a kind of high level overview of what happened in 5th ed?

We're getting together in 3 weeks to start playing so I'm just going to do some generic self contained runs with no background meat on them, but I would like to have an idea of what's going on. Thanks for the help!

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <10-03-19/1303:25> »
If you're willing to shell out for a book, the Streetpdia is a book equally applicable to both editions- it's pure plot with no rules.

It's presented as basically a hard copy of a fictional, in-universe Shadowrunner wiki.  Pure gold for 5e/6we lore.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

The Tekwych

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <10-03-19/1555:03> »
What city do you want to play in? That will help limit the need to know from the want to know.

cantrip

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <10-03-19/2031:29> »
Second the Streetpedia
No Future has a lot of good info and flavor as well.
If you are going to playing Seattle, the various Seattle source books are good.
Stormfront was the lead in to 5th, but it could prove useful as well.

Welcome and good luck!  :)

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #4 on: <10-03-19/2049:05> »
Seconding all of the above.  Also, if you are up for some matrix search tests, the shadowrunner primer by Harebrained Schemes (I think) was a pretty extensive overview of the setting around the start of fourth or so.  A good catch up on things up until then.  The thing is it is not on the original site anymore, but I know I have found it elsewhere on the web in the past with some digging.

Also seconding: tell us where you are playing / nature of the game, and we can focus the advice more.

BlMage

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <10-04-19/1816:13> »
Thanks for the replies! I actually just picked up Streetpedia but haven't had a chance to sit down with it yet.

I know I'm taking on a challenge, but we're going to run in Chicago because, well, we're from Chicago. I've checked the wiki and I've found Opti's map. The wiki leaves Chicago as "it's hosed", but the streetpedia give a more optimistic outlook on the future of Chicago. I've seen Truman Tech is a thing. I think what I'm going to do is run a few season 5 missions ( got the first 3 off drive through) to start and see where we go.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <10-04-19/1847:54> »
You'll have a good deal of fun if you run through the Chicago missions for SRM.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

cantrip

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <10-06-19/0025:50> »

I know I'm taking on a challenge, but we're going to run in Chicago because, well, we're from Chicago. I've checked the wiki and I've found Opti's map. The wiki leaves Chicago as "it's hosed", but the streetpedia give a more optimistic outlook on the future of Chicago. I've seen Truman Tech is a thing. I think what I'm going to do is run a few season 5 missions ( got the first 3 off drive through) to start and see where we go.

If your going to be in Chicago, definitely pick up Bug City just for the background.
Oh, and the novel Burning Bright is great! One of my favorites. ;D

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #8 on: <10-07-19/1517:30> »
Picking up Chicago missions is a pretty decent way to go.  Just know that the final four (from season 8 ) have not been published -- at this point I have my doubts that they will, what with the focus on 6th Edition.

What you might find helpful -- to see the missing adventures and to see the broader story arc in one place -- is to pick up the Anarchy book Chicago Chaos.  Anarchy was designed as a rules-lite version of SR, and they re-packaged Chicago history, (most of?) the Chicago missions (and maybe a few extras?) and some other material for Anarchy. 

A few caveats:
- Chicago Chaos gives a very summarized version of what is in missions (a page or less per mission)
- Obviously you can't use the character and critter stats from the Chicago Chaos book, as different rule systems.  But it should give you a general idea
- some details are changed in Anarchy (they cut out most of the fixers and have characters contacted directly by the Johnsons, for example)

But personally, after having run some missions in my home game, I have found Chicago Chaos to be very helpful.
« Last Edit: <10-07-19/1622:58> by Beta »

ZeroSum

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <10-07-19/1621:50> »
Any chance of getting Catalyst to comment on the record about publishing the final four SRM Chicago missions? Anyone on here have that kind of pull?