NEWS

Keeping track of ammo

• 66 Replies

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #60 on: <04-17-12/1519:22> »
I have a simple clip system I use:

I know what weapons my players are carrying into a run (cause I ask for a load out from each player before they "go out") and I write down the ammo cap per mag per player. Then I ask how many mags they are packing PER weapon/ammo load (ie: 1 mag gel, 2 mags APDS, 2 mags reg. for Faden's Manhunter)

Then, on their initiative pass, if they shoot, I add a tick next to their name, when they are out off ammo (and they don't notice it themselves!) after they roll their attack, I announce that their weapon goes "click"... And watch their eyes bulge!

....How bad that Smartlink is such a Spoilsport ;)
most of my Chars use Smartlinked Weapons that tell them in Advance when to change Mags

with a forewarned Dance
Medicineman

Alot is going in combat, shooting, rolling, tracking a target, trying to follow what is happening around you, etc... Easy to miss that little flashing number next to "bullets remaining"....

In short, if that are to lazy to double check their own expenditures of ammo (cause hey, I do make mistakes, only human after all!)  then their character was too lazy (occupied,etc) to notice what the ammo counter said :D
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #61 on: <04-24-12/1358:19> »
I have a simple clip system I use:

I know what weapons my players are carrying into a run (cause I ask for a load out from each player before they "go out") and I write down the ammo cap per mag per player. Then I ask how many mags they are packing PER weapon/ammo load (ie: 1 mag gel, 2 mags APDS, 2 mags reg. for Faden's Manhunter)

Then, on their initiative pass, if they shoot, I add a tick next to their name, when they are out off ammo (and they don't notice it themselves!) after they roll their attack, I announce that their weapon goes "click"... And watch their eyes bulge!

....How bad that Smartlink is such a Spoilsport ;)
most of my Chars use Smartlinked Weapons that tell them in Advance when to change Mags

with a forewarned Dance
Medicineman

Alot is going in combat, shooting, rolling, tracking a target, trying to follow what is happening around you, etc... Easy to miss that little flashing number next to "bullets remaining"....

In short, if that are to lazy to double check their own expenditures of ammo (cause hey, I do make mistakes, only human after all!)  then their character was too lazy (occupied,etc) to notice what the ammo counter said :D

Or a smartlink could flash an image of "Reload" across your screen when your out just like in the arcade. <.<
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #62 on: <04-24-12/1629:50> »
Or a smartlink could flash an image of "Reload" across your screen when your out just like in the arcade. <.<
What makes you think they don't?  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #63 on: <04-25-12/1159:06> »
That was my intended point at the poster above. It doesn't have to be a "small counter in the corner of your eye that you didn't notice." It could be any number of things to remind them to reload. If they can't keep track of their ammo that "RELOAD" comes accross their screen is you reminding them they need to reload.

if they Continually do that then i could see maybe penalizing them but not much, it' s just a game afterall.

You know it's awesome Canray I can see you within the next few sessions mentioning something like that. xD
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

Crash_00

« Reply #64 on: <04-25-12/1226:25> »
Depending on the setup it doesn't even have to be a visual cue. With a simrig or wired DNI, you could have an audible cue (anything from simple chime to a short "What's with all these MFing empty mags in my MFing magwell"), a tactile cue (back of the support hand hot for low ammo and burning for empty), or even smell/taste for the weird people out there (when my gun's empty I smell lilacs and taste pepper). Any number of which should give a very very non-subtle clue that you're running out of ammo like a jackass.

Then again, I wish we had more official rules on the smartlink and settings for it. I think their should be optional settings for things like auto-ejecting spent clips, auto-switching ammunition (useful for blowing out glass with an Ex-Ex followed by an APDS called shot to target 8 holding that hostage), or even auto-changing fire modes in certain situations. Setting up parameters for the computer processes shouldn't be too hard, but then again that would go against the streamlining of the game.

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #65 on: <04-25-12/1310:16> »
That sounds badass, can someone say homebrew prototype? ^

Crash_00

« Reply #66 on: <04-25-12/1340:30> »
I working on it slowly but surely.