NEWS

G I Billl problems.

• 23 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #15 on: <10-08-11/1344:03> »
Canadian Customs is notorious for being ridiculous about paperwork and holding things at the border if they're not EXACTLY labelled in the way THEY want it.

A prime example that my FLGS/Army Surplus Store had was a Tent from the US that was laid up in Customs for months (Because it was listed as "Military", I assume) while Kukri Blades from Nepal fly through like drek through a goose.  They've also had books held at the border for inspectors to investigate fully.  It's gotten so insane that, at times, it was cheaper to drive down and pick them up from...  Well, just south of the border.  Raising petrol prices killed that possibility, however.

EDIT:  This is why a lot of Canadians refuse to order *ANYTHING* online, even from Canadian sites.  And doesn't even take into consideration US Sites that will flat-out tell you, "I'm sorry, sir, but we don't ship overseas.", no, I'm not joking.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

kirk

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <10-08-11/1353:43> »
heh.

For a short period of time, the relativistic rock t-shirt got tagged as weapon related. A lot of the shirts got tied up in various customs when that happened. As I recall, Canada took the longest to clear up.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #17 on: <10-08-11/1411:08> »
Why am I not surprised.

So many shiny things I want that I can't get.

BTW:  I've mentioned this a time or two before, but under Canadian Law, the license to import Airsoft is also the same license to store Weapons-Grade Nuclear Material.  And, yes, my FLGS/Army Surplus Store does indeed have that license.  (It took them a long, long time to get it, mind you.).

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <10-11-11/1326:13> »
Why am I not surprised.

So many shiny things I want that I can't get.

BTW:  I've mentioned this a time or two before, but under Canadian Law, the license to import Airsoft is also the same license to store Weapons-Grade Nuclear Material.  And, yes, my FLGS/Army Surplus Store does indeed have that license.  (It took them a long, long time to get it, mind you.).

He just wanted to gear up for the zombie apocalypse. Don't lie! lol

that is pretty funny though.
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #19 on: <10-11-11/1715:32> »
He just wanted to gear up for the zombie apocalypse. Don't lie! lol

that is pretty funny though.
Actually, a number of DVDs that aren't available in Canada, mostly.  (I was being honest about "Shiny".  :P ).  Luckily, I have a cousin that owns an import business that specializes in getting things that normally isn't available in Canada (Although he is usually trying to get stuff from India, Eastern Europe, and Africa.  In that order, IIRC.).

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Deliverator

• Chummer
« Reply #20 on: <10-15-11/2331:08> »
CanRay are we talking about firearms?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #21 on: <10-15-11/2339:55> »
No, DVDs.  He's been dragged around the world by his Father who worked on various projects as a troubleshooter (Not the type that carries a firearm, either.  His expertise is transportation, especially rail lines.).  He's been to Bollywood, I believe.

I'm the only gun nut in my family as far as I know.  Although, there are a few hunters.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Deliverator

• Chummer
« Reply #22 on: <10-15-11/2344:35> »
Yeah only thing I could think of that India, Eastern Europe and Africa have in common would be access to massive amounts of surplus firearms... MASSIVE... As in enough to arm every person in China TWICE.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #23 on: <10-15-11/2356:44> »
Yeah, well, Canada also has a lot of Immigrants/Refugees from India, Eastern Europe (Although, most came here during the Cold War, but they're still trickling in), and Africa.  Quite a number are here in Winnipeg, in fact.  Maybe I should see about helping him out with local contacts if he needs someone...  Something to think about for the future.

Anyhow, I can get Kukris from Nepal from my FLGS/Army Surplus Store.  Good grade steel, too.  ;D

And the types of firearms we'd get from those countries (Save India, which probably still has a good supply of old SMLEs) aren't the type you can sell at a Canadian Tire.  No, he'd most likely be trying to sell those to the US, if he were so inclined to do things like that (Which he certainly isn't.).

#ThisTaserGoesTo11