NEWS

Sybil virus: Clues and wild speculations

• 626 Replies

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #45 on: <05-22-13/1150:08> »
"Threats" isn't the term for "Epic Tier", or anything - it's things like bug spirits, shedim, toxics and twisted...

Crimsondude:  That is AWESOME.  Of course, from the Dissonant angle...  Is there any reason that couldn't use Pryon as an infection vector?  Think about it - guy goes around making incidental contact with a bunch of people (shaking their hand, brushing past them, "accidentally" reaching for something at the same time as they do...); there's a lot of things you could do with a bunch of people going berserk on command.

That is a possibility. It could definitely work that way if Frenzy evolved or was modified.

Boomstick

• Chummer
  • Jack of all trades
« Reply #46 on: <05-22-13/1628:52> »
Well, nothing says that nanites have to be "permanent", and some nanotech has transient uses.
I second the fact that nanotech is used in leonization and for bridging the connexions to neural system.
It was in shadowtech, and told again in man and machine and augmentations.

One guess is that simsense, in a broad sense, could be used.
Since simsense is stimulating the would neural system, it is the perfect way to
remodel neural connexions. Cause in the end, when taken in simsense, you never
know if it is real or not, so it should have the same effect than real experience
(at least, with all failsafe removed, like in BTL and personachips).

I guess that development of nanotech neural amplifiers was a step toward this.

Maybe there could be a relationship to something that came from above,
but maybe there are also sequels from the beginning of the new matrix.
After all, we never knew what became the AI and the Jormugand.
Since spontaneously AI appeared, then, it means that somehow the X
factor that made AI what they are disseminated, and I guess the Jormugand had a role to play
into this.
And then, there would be some signal or semi autonomous foreign tech.
And it would become sentient, by the grace of meeting this.
Since spontaneous AI are said to be related to their original programming,
maybe this foreign tech was meant to collect infos about us, as a spy, or an arbiter.
Or had to evaluate if our tech could handle digital minds to save from extinction.
And then, it ran south.

Other possibilities, more down to earth, are psychotropic IC embarking knowbots
becoming sentients, and insanely powerful by inheriting both large chunks of the most
powerful AI on earth code, and dissonant power, with the knowledge of Deus to level the thing
(after all, it included some kind of mental programmation of the nodes of its network, if I remember well).

What I am fearing about is all the possibilities it opens for unwired critters becoming something
more too. Like being reprogrammed to run havok or act like an army, with an hive mind.
And what about weaponized biodrones (largely developed using nanotech).
And that is not even considering unwired critters gone "shapeshifters", in matrix, what would it be like?

At last, that is just the tip of the iceberg. The wolf's killer was stupid enough to show off.
But what about the ones who would retain most memories of their victims, blending in the masses,
running their strange agenda, maybe without even being conscious of it in surface.
Hope the possibility does not exists and that somehow, they have to take the whole personality and
be acting in design. That would make them, even with memories and skills, a lot more obvious
and previsible opponents, that could be tracked by personality tests, "lie detectors" and mind probing.
"A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally."
Oscar Wilde

Great Dragon: "Oh, look, he has a grenade belt. I guess it is time to retire quickly".
The more it changes, the more it is not the same  any more...:P

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #47 on: <05-22-13/1913:16> »
The interesting part to me is the whole Society of the Phoenix Arisen when one of the possessing entities is "summoned".
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

Warmachinez

• Chummer
« Reply #48 on: <05-23-13/2125:33> »
I would rather use the term "Called"...

Either way, what really frightens me is the fact that they were able to cast magic by controlling their hosts, which means if they control people with exceptional skills, then they become exceptionaly dangerous.
Chaos? Lack of protection? Enemies lurking in the shadows? Sounds
to me like the fun’s just beginning. Sorry you’ll miss it, omae.
> Kane

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #49 on: <05-23-13/2127:49> »
The interesting part to me is the whole Society of the Phoenix Arisen when one of the possessing entities is "summoned".

It was a little like saying "Can I talk to (name) now?" - both are in one body, and they were trying to bring the one forward.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #50 on: <05-23-13/2138:29> »
It was a little like saying "Can I talk to (name) now?" - both are in one body, and they were trying to bring the one forward.
"There is no Dana, ONLY ZUUL!"
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #51 on: <05-23-13/2356:21> »
How many Ghostbusters references are we at in this thread...?
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #52 on: <05-24-13/0012:21> »
Not enough?
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #53 on: <05-24-13/0026:28> »
The number you have dialled has been lame since 1989.
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!

Hellion

• Omae
« Reply #54 on: <05-24-13/0205:14> »
Hey RHat, did you ever see this? The Frenzy Dissonant virus: http://crimsondude.tumblr.com/post/13382267276/non-canon-bonus-artifacts-unbound-material

Oh, this reply post to my linking to it earlier is delightful: http://forums.shadowrun4.com/index.php?topic=9067.msg161002#msg161002
I love "Frenzy" gonna have to use it in a game :D

And i have to say i love the idea of it being a Dissonant disease or something similar.... The concept of someone who can do as much as a technomancer can and do it to be evil just seems like a great plot hook to me.
Its not the victors who write the history books, its the suvivors

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #55 on: <05-24-13/0329:52> »
Hey RHat, did you ever see this? The Frenzy Dissonant virus: http://crimsondude.tumblr.com/post/13382267276/non-canon-bonus-artifacts-unbound-material

Oh, this reply post to my linking to it earlier is delightful: http://forums.shadowrun4.com/index.php?topic=9067.msg161002#msg161002
I love "Frenzy" gonna have to use it in a game :D

And i have to say i love the idea of it being a Dissonant disease or something similar.... The concept of someone who can do as much as a technomancer can and do it to be evil just seems like a great plot hook to me.

Dissonants can do MORE.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Hellion

• Omae
« Reply #56 on: <05-24-13/0545:53> »
Hmmm me thinks I got to go look at my books tonight and get more details I skimmed that section of Unwired!!!
Its not the victors who write the history books, its the suvivors

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #57 on: <05-24-13/0624:30> »
Highlights are basically additional Echoes and the ability to have malware complex forms - but that's actually pretty huge right there.  Dissonant viruses are pretty much at the GM fiat level of capability, and some of those echoes do things like inflict actual physiological diseases on people through the dissonomancers bioelectric field.

And every last one, no matter how high functioning they are, is psychotic - and for the most part, due to how high TM mental stats trend towards for good reason, they're going to be VERY high functioning.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #58 on: <05-24-13/0929:04> »
They are the TM equivalent of toxic shamans, only they have the ability to hide their nature. You find one in the 'trix, hit them as hard as you can, or log out immediately, and go find their meat body.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #59 on: <05-24-13/1037:05> »
How many Ghostbusters references are we at in this thread...?
Yeah, sorry, been on a Ghostbusters kick for some reason recently.

In other news, I finally found my Ghostbusters DVDs!  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11