NEWS

Underbarrel grenade launcher

• 65 Replies

Thefurmonger

• Newb
« on: <01-13-15/0615:48> »
Hey all,

So quick question.
My character recently bought a underbarrel grenade launcher (run&gun) but I had a few questions.

Do they use normal grenades? minis?
what is the range? (i could not find a "stat" line for the weapon mod, tho I may just be blind)
does it only hold 1 at a time? (i assume, but you never know...)

Thanks all, I'm sure I'm just missing something here :)

psycho835

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <01-13-15/0648:36> »
Last time I checked, all launchers use minis.
Range table is on page 476 of the core book, use the range for standard GL, I'm sure it will be wiz.
No idea about capacity though. The integrated launchers in Ares Alpha and AK-98 both have capacity of 6 (clip and internal magazine, respectively). So it could very well be anything up to and including six.

Thefurmonger

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <01-13-15/0718:31> »
Thanks for the info, you would think the capacity would be listed somewhere..

psycho835

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <01-13-15/1023:08> »
Yeah, "Run & Gun" has a LOT of such oversights - the organization and missing details are simply maddening. Not to mention all the goodies from "Arsenal" that suddenly disappeared.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <01-13-15/1049:39> »
The SR4A Underbarrel Grenadelauncher (Ares Antioch ) has a capacity of 8 avail 8F ,costs 800 ¥ and the range for underbarrel GL has always beeen the same as a GL ( 5-50/100/150/500 )

Hough!
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #5 on: <01-13-15/1143:03> »
The Ares Antioch isn't an Underbarrel Grenade Launcher.  It's a 'classic grenade launcher design', costs 600¥, 8 (m) for ammo.  The only 'classic' grenade launcher design I could see them referring to is a style like the MGL-32: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1f/M-32_Grenade_Launcher.jpg
Basically, a revolver on steroids. 

Honestly, an underbarrel grenade launcher holding that much ammo is a little crazy; even 'micro-grenades' need a good bit of space if you want them to have any appreciable effect.  There's also the matter of the firing mechanism/ammo feed.  It's why the M203 is a single-shot breech-loader.  Weight, balance, etc. all get affected.  I'd expect the Ares Alpha model to be some kind of proprietary thing, with others having lower capacities. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

psycho835

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <01-13-15/1304:50> »
Honestly, an underbarrel grenade launcher holding that much ammo is a little crazy; even 'micro-grenades' need a good bit of space if you want them to have any appreciable effect.  There's also the matter of the firing mechanism/ammo feed.  It's why the M203 is a single-shot breech-loader.  Weight, balance, etc. all get affected.  I'd expect the Ares Alpha model to be some kind of proprietary thing, with others having lower capacities. 
Gotta agree with MijRai. Have you seen AK-98's pic in "Run & Gun"? Where, exactly, is that internal magazine? In the stock?

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <01-13-15/1318:21> »
@ MijRai

I'm quite certain that the Underbarrel GL uses the same rules like the Antioch
and Yes 8 Minigrenades is a Ludicrous amount but thats the official Rules as I know them (just look at the Ares Alpha Combatgun ;) )
 I'd houserule it and tone it down  to 4 or 5 maximum (I still remember from SR3 an Urban series SMG with a underbarrell Grenny with 8 Micro grenades ( made by Fanpro IIRC) thats even more ludicrous ImO ;) )

Gotta agree with MijRai. Have you seen AK-98's pic in "Run & Gun"? Where, exactly, is that internal magazine? In the stock?

Ohhh Yeah , ;D ::) that one too
The Izom Aphrodite (from 4the ed ) with its 1 shot GL is quite ok though

with an underbelly Dance
Medicineman
« Last Edit: <01-13-15/1320:50> by Medicineman »
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Shaidar

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <01-14-15/1227:32> »
FYI, the MGL-32 & M-302 use 40mm non-mini-grenades, while 20mm mini-grenades are similar diameter to a 12 gauge shotgun shell.

40mm grenade

20mm grenade

Dylants

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <01-21-16/1443:14> »
Ok, question so if the GL is attached to an automatic, does it use the automatic skill or another skill entirely?

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <01-21-16/1456:36> »
Ok, question so if the GL is attached to an automatic, does it use the automatic skill or another skill entirely?
Underbarrel Grenade Launcher uses the Heavy Weapons skill.
Quote from: SR5 p. 430
Use the Heavy Weapons skill when firing assault cannons and grenade and missile launchers.

ZombieAcePilot

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <01-22-16/0128:20> »
An explosive magazine only reduces your capacity by 2 and you get half the effect of a grenade. Double the space requirements and you have a very rough estimation of grenades per bullet in a magazine at 4 to 1. Assume a smaller mag size since it is an underbarrel design, maybe 16 normal rounds. At 4 to 1 we have a 4 mini grenade capacity. Ares alpha has 6, which is 50% off my estimation. I'd call that close enough.

All that said, I don't feel like a 6 shot grenade launcher is needed or even wanted. Breach loading has the benefit of allowing you to swap in the round you need. About to breach? Pop in a flash bang or gas grenade. Pinned down under cover by suppressive fire? Slot in a frag grenade to return fire.

Ravensong

• Newb
  • Maxim 13 - Do unto others.
« Reply #12 on: <01-27-16/0309:14> »
It may be overkill, but I like the underbarrel GL on sniper rifles and auto-shotguns. Non-lethal gas, like neural x, or pepper, makes for a great tactical crowd control tool; And high-explosive make for a perfect deterrent to following vehicles.
Brad: We're gonna be bodyguards for teen rock-stars.
Schlock: Wouldn't the cause of freedom be better served if we killed them instead?

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #13 on: <01-27-16/1303:11> »
A six-shot grenade launcher is useful in some situations, Zombie.  I had a 'noncombat' 'runner who loaded up plenty of gas, stun and smoke grenades; he'd hose down areas with 'safe' grenades while his buddies did the precision work. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

falar

• Omae
  • The Fourth Jesse
« Reply #14 on: <01-27-16/1314:41> »
Ares Alpha + Mounted Crossbow + Underbarrel Laser Shotgun = Yes?