NEWS

[5e OOC] Black Trenchcoat

• 314 Replies

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #120 on: <07-02-18/1009:29> »
Ok a couple things, then your two points over the limit with sensitive system, which I don't know if Red cares about, but those stupid math details always draws my concern, and I'm guessing you just wanted the karma? It's simply that there are so many good magic qualities in FA, that you might want to consider. 

I'm going to just assume tenets of the chosen of Morrigan is between you and the GM.

Next if you are determined to have astral combat, it's something that almost never used, but if you want it I would suggest switching it with Arcane. Arcane is what you roll for initiation. In the long run you really won't want to spend karma to raise rather then spending that karma to initiate more or quicken or a long list of other things.

Next you don't have the improved Reflexes Spell or heal spell, both of which are critically important to the role.

Sensitive system is also a complicating factor when spellcasting. As a new spellcaster I would recommend swapping it out for something else. Adding a roll to the process simply makes something that's critically important to your character which is already complex more complex then it needs to be.

Roll20 is cool with me.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

blackshade10

• Newb
  • Elfie Technomancer
« Reply #121 on: <07-02-18/1015:00> »
What's Sensitive System?

Any recommendations on qualities?

If Redwulfe can confirm that I won't be kneecapping myself by removing arcana and astral combat, I'll happily ditch it. Other stuff I could get.

blackshade10

• Newb
  • Elfie Technomancer
« Reply #122 on: <07-02-18/1023:41> »
Ohhh, looked it up.  I took Weak Immune System, not Sensitive System.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #123 on: <07-02-18/1027:47> »
My bad. I misread that.
Thinking
com
speaking

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #124 on: <07-02-18/1038:28> »
Not removing arcane!

Swapping it with astral combat. So you have a 4 in arcana!
Thinking
com
speaking

blackshade10

• Newb
  • Elfie Technomancer
« Reply #125 on: <07-02-18/1043:39> »
Ahh, and what does that change?

And what qualities do you recommend?

adzling

« Reply #126 on: <07-02-18/1054:37> »
roll 20 is good for me

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #127 on: <07-02-18/1113:32> »
I concur, don't remove arcana. Astral combat isn't absolutely necessary as you can make up for the lack of it in numerous ways such as just banishing the spirit, not being detected by it, summoning another spirit to do the dirty work for you, or simply pointing avalanche in its direction. :)

Cool on the roll20 I will try to get that set up this week. As far as game goes I am on the boards sporadically throughout the day as I own a game store and have weird amounts of free time that being said I sometimes have trouble getting on the boards like this weekend when my employee asked for family time off and I was overrun with work to do, not complaining mind you just trying to say I will post once a day but it may not be at the same time each day.

Please be patient with me and I truly appreciate all of the help that you guys are doing to get characters ready and the game up and running.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't

Red

Thinking
com
speaking

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #128 on: <07-02-18/1156:36> »
OK so Blessed of the Morrigan as a code of honor is something that I have been thinking of a lot. Morrigan the nightmare or phantom queen was  a triple aspected goddess and strongly associated with war and fate. In the The Cattle Raid of Regamain and the Cattle Raid of Cooley we see bits of her personality when she and Cu Chulainn interact. In this tales she predicts the future often and when Cu Chulainn spurs her she becomes somewhat vendictive and tries to subvert him in many subtle ways. She seemed to love to try and prove him wrong. In Battle of Mag Tuired she is somewhat different though and is a fierce warrior magician of the Tuatha de Danann helping them defeat the king of the Fomoraig. And of course her most famous portreyals is that of the evil hag of the Arthurian legends as she is linked to Morgan le fe which puts her personality more in line with the ulster's cattle raid cycle rather than the battle of mag Tuired's mythilogical cycle.

That all being said she is always associated with war and fate and is often referee to as a goodness of war. As a war goddess she is tied to Crows and in many stories took on the form of a crow but due to the ulster cycle she is also associated with livestock.

For the purpose of code of honor we should look at her flaws as following a code is a flaw even when it is in the guise of a strength. I can see two things with this flaw. As the Morrigan always seems to be in the "know" when it come to upcoming battles or struggles and crows are associated with curiosity and battle we could say that you are driven to find out every aspect of a job before attempting it. You like to have all of the details and explore the job from several avenues. Though this is a compulsion it is a very useful one as you will want your leg work done and this is very helpful in avoiding pitfalls on the run. So now on to the flaw part, I also feel their is a drawback to this, if you feel slighted or hindered in any of your endeavors you will undermine the person that slighted you to the point of trying to get them killed in a subtle way. This can cause you no end of trouble as it does not stop at enemies but can also target friends. You must make a Composure(3) test to not follow through with actions that will harm those who you feel have slighted you.

Sound good?
« Last Edit: <07-02-18/1210:01> by Redwulfe »
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't

Red

Thinking
com
speaking

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #129 on: <07-02-18/1225:35> »
Not used roll 20 before, used rollz.org and invisible castle though. Fine with anything so long as its free lol
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

blackshade10

• Newb
  • Elfie Technomancer
« Reply #130 on: <07-02-18/1226:24> »
Er, I'm afraid that's a hard line.  I will not participate in any active effort to see another PC killed or injured. Nothing kills games faster than pvp.  The rest is fine.   

As an alternative, the Morrigan is also a guardian deity, due to get connections with sovereignty.  Tailor his need for legwork also with a need to be protective.  When he perceives threats to his team, or those close to him, it takes extreme willpower to not respond in a highly vindictive and unnecessarily disproportionate way.

blackshade10

• Newb
  • Elfie Technomancer
« Reply #131 on: <07-02-18/1301:24> »
I don't mind picking irrational fights with npcs.  Just not pcs

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #132 on: <07-02-18/1357:56> »
I guess I should have made this understood from the beginning as well, that is totally my fault, I sometimes assume that everyones interpretation of Black Trechcoat is the same as mine which is completely my bad. You may play your character as you like and that can include not going against another character but this game will focus on a more realistic approach to gaming. PVP is allowed. This is a pvp server.

Combat is deadly, subtlety is needed. If a Character can not kill another character then the game has an underlying falseness to its realistic nature. That is not me saying that I encourage character on character violence, but I will not stop it. In my experience most of the time, like 90% of the time this is a non issue. Especially since we design characters by committee and look at each others characters ahead of time to make sure there will be less of these types of problems in the game.

Characters will die, sometimes at the hands of other characters. I have had numerous deaths in these style of games by the hands of other characters, have ruthlessly killed other characters in these style games, and I have seen many a standoff between characters, it can happen. But in the end we as players shook hands and continued to play, drank and laughed over characters lost and missions survived. I have been playing since 1990 so I have played a lot of shadowrun and for one two year period of 2nd edition we played every night strait. I was young. -shrug-

Now I get it, that is not for everyone, but I don't want to have to pull punches and I don't want my players to have to either. That being said I do ask expert players to take it a bit easier on the newer ones as they get the feet wet and get their legs under them. we are here to help each other out and teach those who have not played as much as we have. That is what OOC section is for discuss actions ahead of time before you make them. But if you ask OOC if showing up to a paranoid characters house will get you killed and that player says "yea, my character would kill someone for that" and you decide to show up anyway; you should expect to be shot and dumped in a vat of etching acid. That was a true story. other player laughed and said I guess I should have listened, we saluted each others glasses and he made a new character. We are still great friends today and I have lost at least three characters that I loved to the guy. Who knew he drew the line at selling pregnant women to the Tanomous. -shrug- I guess my character should have. Its not like I didn't have any warnings "please don't loot the cyberware they desire a proper burial." he said. Guess that was a clue. :) I stopped playing characters that had very hard to deal with morals at that point also, which helped the game as a whole.

This game is for mature audiences, those that can lose a character, maybe at the hands of another character and be mature enough to shake hands and buy that player a beer later on, symbolically of course. Remember characters are not the Players. This game will explore themes of violence and morals and moral dilemmas will occur that may put characters at odds on occasion. This does not happen often, if players talk about things before acting, but if anyone in the game is a person that is easily offended or can not detach from things that happen to your character then maybe it is best to watch from the sidelines.

I am not trying to be mean or off putting nor do I wish to put anyone down but this is the style of game I enjoy and I know it is not for everyone. It is hard core Black Trenchcoat. I just want to be upfront about that.

As far as the Morrigan as a protector, yes she is also the mother in the triple goddess as well as the maiden and crone though that side of her was not as pronounced in the Ulster cycle or the Arthurian legends, except in her protection of the land and its creatures. So I can see this, but I do not agree with some interpretations of the texts and believe she cared more for the land and its livestock than for the people that inhabited it. When those two aligned and one became threatening to the other she would rise to defend the land and all of its inhabitance. As a compromise since I know that both sides of that debate have been arguing over it for a while, I will allow that if your character forms a bound with another character, NPC or otherwise that they will be protected from her more pronounced murderous tendencies. The Character will not try to kill them but will still try to teach them their lesson through non violent subtle means.

Red

Thinking
com
speaking

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #133 on: <07-02-18/1554:18> »
I don't have any issue with that. I'm perfectly happy with even high character death. Part of running the shadows is risk, and someone making primary combatant I'm totally good with that. Every GM and game is different and takes time to adjust to their style. I'm perfectly happy to make more characters.  Morrigan is very complex deity. I would put forward she is a certainly a war goddess, an eater of the dead.  One of my favorite characters from heroes system, was the The Ravenson, he was the God of luck in battle. A war god with total prohibition against killing. It was  very fun concept to play.

If you guys don't mind me butting in, on the topic of CoH in SR I have a little experience, consider these three tenets? Protect Your Brethren. Must not Harm Ravens, or other animals sacred to Morrigan. Nurture through Conflict. Conflict creates strength. When faced with a battle must complete will(3) test to retreat.  Hospitality is Sacrosanct. Must obey the laws of Hospitality.

« Last Edit: <07-02-18/1558:20> by Marcus »
Thinking
com
speaking

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #134 on: <07-02-18/1610:14> »
I don't have any issue with that. I'm perfectly happy with even high character death. Part of running the shadows is risk, and someone making primary combatant I'm totally good with that. Every GM and game is different and takes time to adjust to their style. I'm perfectly happy to make more characters.  Morrigan is very complex deity. I would put forward she is a certainly a war goddess, an eater of the dead.  One of my favorite characters from heroes system, was the The Ravenson, he was the God of luck in battle. A war god with total prohibition against killing. It was  very fun concept to play.

If you guys don't mind me butting in, on the topic of CoH in SR I have a little experience, consider these three tenets? Protect Your Brethren. Must not Harm Ravens, or other animals sacred to Morrigan. Nurture through Conflict. Conflict creates strength. When faced with a battle must complete will(3) test to retreat.  Hospitality is Sacrosanct. Must obey the laws of Hospitality.

I was kinda hoping you would butt in specifically because of your study of current CoH in Shadowrun. :) I would change the will test to composure instead, so that the character gets two attributes to make the test with since a single attribute would make it more difficult. Though I don't mind Character on character violence I don't want to help a character along to their death, maybe even Willx2. Conflict does seem to be a better middle ground between vengeful and nurturing. I would be good with this with the change to make it a two attribute test to resist the urge.

Red

Thinking
com
speaking