NEWS

Faraday Dermal Weave

• 23 Replies

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <02-27-13/2346:11> »
Change it to "cuts off their wireless access, while leaving their ability to connect through skinlink or DNI" and it seems fine to me. I'd think that clothing with wireless inhibition woven in would be cheaper and easier, but hey, there's probably somebody both cybered and paranoid enough for this.

Valashar

• Omae
  • I'm always angry, but I usually hide it well.
« Reply #16 on: <02-28-13/0245:27> »
I'll avoid dipping my feet into the points already made, but only state that in order to completely block any signals from passing through its borders a Faraday Cage needs two things: It must be grounded and a live current must be passing through it.

Because an implant cannot be grounded (and being inside a living person seriously limits the level of live current you could run through it), this could not be used to block technomancers from the matrix entirely. At best it would warp signals around them to a degree, acting as a hinderance to access not a full barrier. I agree with the remarks about this possibly being a way for those with AIPS or similar conditions to gain come measure of relief, but unless you're going to nail them down in one spot to allow for them to remain grounded (in which case just shoving them into a normal Faraday cage would be more efficient) it can't be used as a blanket 'block all wireless access' but rather as something equivalent to low-rating wireless-baffling items already on the gear lists.
Shadowrun Missions: GenCon 2013

We groped the cat, and tazed the baby.

Anarkitty

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <03-04-13/1654:30> »
Aww, I knew the real science would come back to bite me.

The live current is the easier one to handle.  There's lots of implants that have higher requirements than a Faraday cage.  That tech already exists in 2070 (even if it is handwaved a little).

The hard part is grounding the cage.  Maybe it only works if you're barefoot? 
Or what about Microwave power transmission?  If you can transmit power wirelessly, can you ground yourself wirelessly?  What would be the range?
Or maybe you have to actually ground yourself to make your cage work.  What if you have to actually touch something grounded to make it work?  Would that make it more balanced?

Ideas from the audience?

Falconer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <03-05-13/0106:25> »
Speaking as an electrical engineer and a physicist.

The faraday cage does not need to be grounded to function as a shield.   That said... it's probably impractical to consider it as a skin implant as a full faraday cage...
Though something  more like wifi-blocking wallpaper or paint which will do just as well since it will block weak signals from getting out which is your goal.

That said there are electrical reasons to ground the cage.  But they're not for shielding reasons.

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #19 on: <03-05-13/1922:19> »
Huh, thinking about it, the Eurocopter Tigre can diffuse EMPs like a faraday cage, but it's made of mostly non ferris composites to accomplish that, which augmentations already are. But yeah, it flies, so not grounded.
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!

Shaidar

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <03-06-13/0655:33> »
Combine it with a new (Handwavium intended) pair of Grid-Link Boots.

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <03-06-13/1141:43> »
But the question is, can you grind rails with it?
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Anarkitty

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <03-07-13/1830:06> »
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
Meh, old technology. ;)

KainFirethorn

• Newb
« Reply #23 on: <04-17-13/1651:04> »
just wear leather shoes, or shoes with hidden leather soles, electrical currents can go nicely through them, its only rubber an such that actualy stops it.