NEWS

Little things that bug me about SR legendary Runners

• 58 Replies

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #45 on: <06-08-19/2027:55> »
As memory serves Slamm-O showed up in several 4e mods I had a character play in and we talked all kinds of shit to him. Nothing came of it.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #46 on: <06-08-19/2331:50> »
I honestly think there should not be a “cast”. Instead it should just be random users. The setting doesn’t need sitcom level drama, especially not without consequences.

JackPoint shouldn’t knit them together at impossible levels. Keep this sort of fiction to the novels :/
Except no one buys the novels.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #47 on: <06-09-19/0037:33> »
JackPoint shouldn’t knit them together at impossible levels. Keep this sort of fiction to the novels :/

That is a sad truth.

I feel like that really, really needs to change. My thought would be Audiobook up the old library while farming out for a new series? I think the best option would be follow the example of the industry, make up Iconic archetype examples, and give each one a novel and have them run together, link it up with a cool meta plot, and  if it is successful expand out from there. Make sure to make them go like your default SR home game, have meeting up initial run, some tense scenes from each iconics example, then everyone share the best life style in the party.
Best of friends, or at least Frienemies.

Don't connect them to a data-heaven directly.
Thinking
com
speaking

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #48 on: <06-09-19/0044:18> »

That is a sad truth.

I feel like that really, really needs to change. My thought would be Audiobook up the old library while farming out for a new series? I think the best option would be follow the example of the industry, make up Iconic archetype examples, and give each one a novel and have them run together, link it up with a cool meta plot, and  if it is successful expand out from there. Make sure to make them go like your default SR home game, have meeting up initial run, some tense scenes from each iconics example, then everyone share the best life style in the party.
Best of friends, or at least Frienemies.

Don't connect them to a data-heaven directly.

They tried that in 3E with the Kellan Colt novels and it didn't work. They've been publishing e-books more than print nowadays to get people interested and keep the cost low, and no one is interested.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #49 on: <06-09-19/0240:26> »
Still, the sourcebooks should be more the game setting and rules than straight up fiction. While fiction is good it’s mostly glanced over once while rules and general crunch is revisited again and again.
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #50 on: <06-09-19/0257:48> »
Eh, I actually like it. But I understand some don't, and there needs to be a proper balance, and more side-characters.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #51 on: <06-09-19/0831:14> »
They made audiobooks in 3e? Also it’s been awhile sense 3e maybe try again?
Thinking
com
speaking

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #52 on: <06-09-19/0928:05> »
As memory serves Slamm-O showed up in several 4e mods I had a character play in and we talked all kinds of shit to him. Nothing came of it.
But did you threaten his child while implying that you know where he lives? I don't think you did.
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #53 on: <06-09-19/1000:15> »
I think we were in his apartment. But he was single at the time.
Thinking
com
speaking

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #54 on: <06-09-19/1007:19> »
Still, the sourcebooks should be more the game setting and rules than straight up fiction. While fiction is good it’s mostly glanced over once while rules and general crunch is revisited again and again.
See, I'm the opposite. I look up rules when I need to, but I consistently go back to the books for the dialogues. It's the thing I look forward to with each book and the reason I buy them.

BeCareful

• Chummer
« Reply #55 on: <06-10-19/1055:52> »
RE: Clockwork

Thinking about it, I can understand reasons why the writers would keep him around: in case of a Devil's Advocate perspective, to show that Jackpointers aren't entirely Nice/Good Guys, and as an easy go-to source of internal conflict. Then, for occasional catharsis, he'll get temporarily banned and/or dumpshocked. From a rules mechanics standpoint, hasn't the guy been around for an edition or two? Plus, he's the sort to happily take "Low Karma/High Money" runs, so, sure, he's good at two of the most expensive niches at once.
Even still, the fact that this guy has harassed mods and their family on multiple occasions and has never been lethally double-crossed in a run strains credulity at times.

Also, looking back, JackPoint has invited new people on at certain points of most rulebooks, even if it is just to introduce new rules sections. So I don't really mind how it's gone.
"Welcome to Shadowrun, where the biggest obstacle is you!"

Voran

• Newb
  • Voran from Dumpshock. Making the move.
« Reply #56 on: <06-12-19/0622:28> »
Heh, man the novels.  I'm pretty sure I had all the ones up to around mid-90s.  Anyhoo I feel like maybe I should apologize for bringing the 'mary sue' stuff in, it kinda went on a tangent :)

I don't mind named runners and stuff, tho as I get older and the game gets older you start realizing how old some of the chars are getting :P  And they can't all be immortal :)

That said, I dunno, how do you guys feel about the jackpointer type voice stuff? I find it useful as inserts between all the crunch of systems, its kind of a tried/true formula at this point, I don't really have any suggestions on what might be a better approach.  I know other systems use other means, but ever since the shadowland BBS style from the SR1 days its just seemed a natural progression.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #57 on: <06-12-19/0826:19> »
No worries Voran, most players just don't like that there are characters that could beat up their characters without breaking a sweat and somehow feels that lessens the game as a whole.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #58 on: <06-12-19/0926:27> »
I have occasionally unleashed Valkyrie Knights on runners creating a mess at open events (as the runs were planned to, incidentally) and they enjoy it. =) My players from my home campaign are still scared by both Kalanyr ('huh, a fast human using Movement, let's play tag') and the elite HTR units that Knight Errant had available, despite their own 400+ karma. Is great. ;D
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!