NEWS

New person looking for some starter tips and questions answered...

• 5 Replies

archamedius

• Newb
« on: <02-20-14/0850:25> »
So I am new to this whole Living Shadowrun thing, but would really like to get involved.  I live in Cincinnati, so it seems like there are a number of cons around me throughout the year where I could get the opportunity to play.  However I seem to fail at figuring out how to get started, and how far behind the curve of others I would be (perhaps to the point of being a liability).

I checked out the Shadowrun Missions section on the shadowrun website, but the rules and character generation stuff seems to be all SR4A and nothing for SR5.  Are missions still run as SR4A?  If missions have moved to SR5 then does anyone have a link to where I can get the rules, etc. for creating a character?

Do I have to get a character approved ahead of time through some channel?

Is there an organization like RPGNET or Camarila that I must belong to before I can play?

If I started this summer (say at Origins) would I be able to get in a group where a fresh character could contribute?  Or would I be so far behind the curve that I might as well stay home?

Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Timothy M. Patrick

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <02-20-14/0906:37> »
Welcome,

You do not need to get a character pre-approved but you need to make sure you follow the guides for making it a missions legal character. You can find the guidelines here http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/119272/Shadowrun-Missions-Season-5-Prep-Files? another option is at the conventions we often do what we call Welcome to the 6th World events where we will help you make a character. You can also choose to take a pre-gen and just jump in then transfer the earned Karma and Nuyen to a character you create.

I have a detailed list of conventions that have Shadowrun missions games at them you can find it here http://criticalglitch.com/?page_id=197

You don't have to join anything you can just show up to play we are not nearly that rigged, and yes the missions are written that any one can jump in at any time. We are in the early phases of Season 5 and we do have a lot of those missions scheduled for CincyCon
Co-Host of CriticalGlitch a Shadowrun podcast Criticalglitch.com

archamedius

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <02-20-14/0930:51> »
o.O!  I will be at CincyCon playing in the Warhammer Fantasy Tournament on Saturday.  Are you running events on friday or sunday?  I was looking over the cincycon schedule and I don't see the RPG events up yet.

Timothy M. Patrick

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <02-20-14/1055:54> »
We are running events Friday night, all day Saturday, and Sunday morning I don't know the exact time slots but we have scheduled season 5 missions 1-4 with some over lap and Welcome events. All of the GM's there are seasoned GM's and able to run other games if we need to pick up extra coverage.
Co-Host of CriticalGlitch a Shadowrun podcast Criticalglitch.com

archamedius

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <02-21-14/1404:08> »
And I somehow missed my manners in my excitement for shadowrun at CincyCon.  Thanks so much for your reply and help!  I found most of what I was looking for and am working on my character.  Thanks again for all your help!

csbrademeyer

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <03-07-14/1541:13> »
Are you only interested in running at cons?  I live in Cinci and am looking for a group to run with weekly or bi-weekly in an ongoing campaign.  If you know of any local group or want to create one email me csbrademeyer@yahoo.com