NEWS

Ghost in the Shell - Sliding Scale of Black Trenchcoat to Pink Mohawk

• 6 Replies

blackshade10

• Newb
  • Elfie Technomancer
« on: <07-01-18/0731:25> »
I just finished watching the first Arise GotS movie, and it got me thinking, where do you think that show falls on the typical Shadowrun playstyles?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #1 on: <07-01-18/1241:02> »
Black Trenchcoat, pretty solidly, and you see more of that in the Stand Alone Complex series. Most of their jobs are infiltration, datasteals, and sometimes wetwork, but they always try to be as discrete as possible. They are prepared to 'go loud' if that is the mission profile, but they are a group of tactical operators, not a bunch of rowdy gangers. Quick, clean, and methodical is their typical MO.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

SpellBinder

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <07-01-18/2350:18> »
On a scale of 0 to 10, where 0 is black and 10 is pink, I'd place GitS Arise and SAC at a 0.5.  As Mirikon said, the main characters are professionals, discrete, direct, and ready to go big if the situation calls for it.  In Shadowrun terminology they're all Prime runners or better.

Streetsam_Crunch

• Newb
  • Grumpy Old Ork
« Reply #3 on: <07-03-18/0305:36> »
I might be persuaded to go to a 1 or so (if just for the funny bits with the AI Tachikoma in Arise- or was that the names of them in SAC... or both?) but basically, I pretty much agree. Some of the stuff they have fought may fall into 'pink mohawk' more than themselves, like armies of crazy AI's from Arise.

However, the group themselves are definitely in the realm of 'black trenchcoat' professionals, with storylines that (generally) reflect that level of seriousness.

Crunch~

Lorebane24

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <07-12-18/1840:43> »
I'd put them closer to 3 or 4.  They often prefer stealth and discretion, but not to the degree that they never fire a shot and never get spotted.  It seems to me that when they go in, they develop a plan of attack, pick all the right gear, coordinate, and then hit their target hard and fast and get out.  The right gear for the job usually involves weapons and milspec gear, though, they get into fights (that they pick) pretty routinely, and they possess skill sets that ensure they're always ready for plan B.  I would almost think of them as "black mohawk" in that combat is their forte, but they always approach it professionally and with a plan.
The power of the Tri-Horse!

adzling

« Reply #5 on: <07-12-18/1846:33> »
i think you mean "mirror shades" playstyle lorebane ;-)

Lorebane24

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <07-13-18/2003:21> »
I have usually heard Mirrorshades to describes a playstyle that was even blacktrenchoatier, where you've basically been failed if you've even been seen and you need to scrub your matrix trail after every run, but I guess when I think about it, the way we're talking about would be more Molly Millions' MO.
The power of the Tri-Horse!