NEWS

Deus still out there?

• 101 Replies

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #90 on: <05-16-15/1910:38> »
Well, it was clearly a someone, and not just 'they spontaneously did so'.  That, at least, is canon.

For some reason, I always assumed the Otaku were the result of Dr. Halberstam's creepy experiments ^^
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #91 on: <05-17-15/1009:09> »
Not quite. His work DID, I believe, lead to new ground in cyborg research, but as far as I know, the closest Halberstam got to the otaku was when Mitsuhama got him (under the name Shalbermat) to cut up Technomancers in Hong Kong.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Sengir

• Omae
« Reply #92 on: <05-17-15/1641:24> »
Well, it was clearly a someone, and not just 'they spontaneously did so'.  That, at least, is canon.
The canon (as of 3rd Ed's Matrix) was "nobody knows what the Deep Resonance is"
« Last Edit: <05-17-15/1645:49> by Sengir »

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #93 on: <05-17-15/2314:29> »
The canon from even earlier - 2nd Edition - is:

Quote from: Denver Boxed Set, p. 87
>>>>>(I'll ask nicely one more time -- who taught you the channels?)<<<<<
           -- Shiva (**:**:**/**-**-**)

>>>>>( We needed not to be taught, only shown the truth and all was made clear.)<<<<<
           -- Anthony ANSI (**:**:**/**-**-**)

>>>>>( Can you show me? )<<<<<
           -- Shiva (**:**:**/**-**-**)

>>>>>( Ask he who showed us to show you. He is among us now. )<<<<<
           -- Bitter Edge (**:**:**/**-**-**)

>>>>>( WHAT!?!)<<<<<
           -- Bash           (**:**:**/(*&!@#*(&!W@#) ...
It gets scrambled after that, source code failure, terminal file corruption, etc., but you get the idea.  And this is well before the AEP had woken up into Deus.  So while nobody may officially know what 'the Deep Resonance is', we all have our pet theories, and at least a certain amount of knowledge about how the first otaku came to be.

And the closest Halberstam came really was the Matrix Born project(s), aka 'Halberstam's Babies' - which did bupkis to connect them to the Deep Resonance, but which DID make them pretty damn good hackers.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Marzhin

• Omae
« Reply #94 on: <05-18-15/1704:41> »
And the closest Halberstam came really was the Matrix Born project(s), aka 'Halberstam's Babies' - which did bupkis to connect them to the Deep Resonance, but which DID make them pretty damn good hackers.

Yes that's what I was thinking about. It's been a long time since I've read the first Threats book, so some plots got a bit blurry in my memory ^^
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #95 on: <05-18-15/2354:23> »
Well, I may not be an old vet... but I did just recently finish up SR: Chronicles so will add my  Ĩ2 from that perspective.

When you start looking at confronting the AI directly there's two things that sprang to y mind here. One, it was trying to break free, to ensure it could never be "imprisoned again", also when you confront someone it has taken over completely it accuses you of betraying it.

Combine this with the fact that the nanites where augmented with enhanced obsidian, allowing them to connect to the Resonance... a join project between a professor of Thaumaturgy at MIT&T, specializing in Alchemy, and a technomancer student attempting to create technomancer foci.

To me, from what I read about the history and personalities of the big three AIs here... it seems that whatever else came through is, or at least was, Dues. it hitched a ride on nanites that could connect to Resonance, it's primary goal is to gain freedom and ensure it can never be imprisoned again, and it accuses of betrayal when directly confronted.
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #96 on: <05-19-15/1047:10> »
*nods* The key to understanding Deus is that if his story were applied to a metahuman instead of an AI, he'd sound a lot like some shadowrunners. He woke up to the equivalent of a kink bomb in his head, put there by people he was conditioned to be loyal to. Everything that followed after, from the Shutdown, to all the experiments, even to his trying to take over the ECSE, were all done so that he could escape the megacorp that had betrayed him and put himself beyond the reach of the people who wanted him dead. That's basically Shadowrunner Origin Story #4. The only difference is the scale. Getting the OS of an Arcology, which has been hardwired into the building, out is a lot different from a manager arranging his own extraction.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Marzhin

• Omae
« Reply #97 on: <05-19-15/1057:36> »
Now, with CFD, that would make for a great background for a n actual shadowrunner. Some poor chap from Boston that has been infected and rewritten by Deus' persona... not the more megalomaniac or paranoid bits, but the burning desire to hurt megacorps and stick it to the Man.
(Groucho Marx)

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #98 on: <05-19-15/1103:36> »
Deus: taking OCD to an entirely new level ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Sengir

• Omae
« Reply #99 on: <05-20-15/1647:23> »
The canon from even earlier - 2nd Edition - is:
Well, in-character sections could still be completely wrong, but the OOC sections were also very explicit in stating that it's objectively a mystery.

Tethra

• Newb
« Reply #100 on: <09-21-15/1025:42> »
Hi everyone,

I remember clearly from my days with the 3rd edition that the Otaku Deus "created" were only able to use their abilities inside the SCIRE host. He tried to make "real" Otaku worship him, though, by trying to convince them he created them, to ensure their loyalty and worship, which is probably why PAX still hates him. Nothing I remember ever gave me the idea that Otaku were created by the big AIs.

In the 5th edition, there seem to be ancient technomancer artefacts. Something with obsidian? Iīm currently GMing "humaniarian aid". I think itīs save to say that technomancers arenīt AI creations, either.

I personally think the big AIs are still around. First of all, Dodger seemed "happy" in "the artful Dodger", though thatīs only the vibe reading it gave me, maybe combined with the artwork. He knows Megaira/Morgana is there. Thatīs why the Matrix was responding so well to him. Second, in the Foundation chapter of "Data Trails", the decription of one paradigm reminded me of the paradigm of Morganaīs UV-host. Just a hunch, but whoīs dreams model the Foundationīs paradigms? I think itīs not just the code of the three big AIs went into the foundation, but also their consciousness. But thatīs just my oppinion based on conjecture at the moment.

Have fun, everyone! :)

P.S. Please excuse my bad English, itīs not my native language.

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #101 on: <11-30-15/1544:10> »
Shadowrun Lockdown, Page 201 "Resistance isn't Futile"

The bulk of the new strain head cases come in three
varieties. The first are those who somehow came cleanly
through the infection with a solid personality in place.
The personalities can be either pure Cerberus or Deus
or any point on the spectrum in between, but whatever
the personality, the host mind was strong enough to
adapt to and accept the massively alien intellect of the
dragon or AI in such a short period.

Whelp, plain as day there...
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor