NEWS

[SR5] Ares Alpha w/o Grenade Launcher legality

• 8 Replies

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« on: <06-27-15/1950:06> »
How would you rate an Ares Alpha without the underbarrel greande launcher in terms of legality and availability?

The way I see it, an underbarrel grenade launcher is 10F, while most assault rifles without one are in the 4R (AK-97) to 11R (Colt Inception), with a few exceptions (Shiawase Arms Monsoon at 10F, Yamaha Raiden at 14F, and HK XM30 weapons platform at 15F). The Ares Alpha is a powerful assault rifle only matched in terms of DV by the Yamaha Raiden (higher magazine capacity, 14F) and the Ultimax Rain Forest Carbine (no full-auto and smaller magazine capacity, 8R).

I would personally keep the availability at 12 since it would be a niche product, likely after-market modified, but make it Restricted instead of Forbidden as it no longer possesses a grenade launcher, but I'd like to hear other people's thoughts.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #1 on: <06-27-15/2208:45> »
First of all I would not call the rifle Alpha if the launcher was removed. I seem to recall a Beta with an underbarrel shotgun back in SR3 but that might simply have been a fan production. Maybe called it Omicron or simply zero (whatever the Greek word for zero or basic is)

But other than that then yes, I would keep the availability at 12 because it is such a powerful weapon.
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <06-27-15/2216:17> »
Gonna be a broken record here but SR4th edition did it better also

Ares Basic
A stripped down version of the classic Ares Alpha design, the Ares Basic does not contain the integral grenade launcher that accompanies the Alpha. It has become a staple weapon in the security industry and is often issued to guards in restricted or high threat areas. It includes an internal smartgun system and makes use of the special chambering design (RC 2) that has kept the Alpha at the top of the pack for a decade. Due to licensing issues, the Ares Basic is not available for civilian purchase, but a high number of them fall into shadowy hands every year.
Ares Basic   Damage    AP    Mode    RC    Ammo    Availability    Cost
6P   -1   SA/BF/FA   2   42(c)   10F   1,400¥
Plus there an Ares Bravo which has a vibro bayonette and a Sierra from War! that has a stun baton

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <06-27-15/2226:21> »
What book featured the Basic? War?

Prætus

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <06-28-15/0136:48> »
First of all I would not call the rifle Alpha if the launcher was removed. I seem to recall a Beta with an underbarrel shotgun back in SR3 but that might simply have been a fan production. Maybe called it Omicron or simply zero (whatever the Greek word for zero or basic is)

But other than that then yes, I would keep the availability at 12 because it is such a powerful weapon.

The Ares Beta was mentioned in Canon Companion, iirc, but it never had a stat line provided for the underbarrel shotgun.  My group used to treat it as equivalent to the Defiance T-250, but only capable of SS.

As to the idea behind the Ares Basic, that's not a bad solution.  I really wish they would acknowledge the Sporting Rifles beyond just Gun H(e)aven 3, and introduce Battle Rifles back into the SR5 sources.  Also, I would really like to see a "working" Ares Excalibur (from Sacrificial Limb) make it into updated materials.  Until then, I get to house rule all sorts of stuff.
« Last Edit: <06-28-15/0218:19> by Prætus »

Hibiki54

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <06-28-15/0224:14> »
I would still classify the Ares Alpha without launcher as a "F" rating with lower availability. It is still a weapon mostly associated with security forces and HTR. The Yamaha is 14F and the only thing special about it is its high accuracy limit and big magazine. Same damage and native AP as the Alpha.
« Last Edit: <06-28-15/0226:05> by Hibiki54 »

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <06-28-15/0228:42> »
Neither it was from a previous posts http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=5360.0 http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=5360.msg86620#msg86620

So no official sources then. Yes, SR4 truly did it better ... Still it is a nice gun.

Prætus

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <06-28-15/0257:47> »
I would still classify the Ares Alpha without launcher as a "F" rating with lower availability. It is still a weapon mostly associated with security forces and HTR. The Yamaha is 14F and the only thing special about it is its high accuracy limit and big magazine. Same damage and native AP as the Alpha.

Also, F availability is more common for weapons when they have full-auto capability.