NEWS

[SR4] Help, my drones get one-shotted

• 10 Replies

jerryme

• Newb
  • Power level: over 9000
« on: <09-16-14/1242:51> »
Hi people,

I know this has been discussed all over the internet, but I couldn't find an answer other than "Use them for long range attacks" or "Don't use them in direct combat"

Even with armor 9 which is max for body 3 drones, they go down like nothing and they're bad at dodging as well.

It's impossible to play a rigger character, because he will be cashier at soybucks' faster than he can say "repair costs".

I get it, drones are not tanks, but this ... is ridiculous. Should I tie an armor jacket around my drone?

I don't get it, please help.

I didn't know if I should laugh or cry when I heard it's even worse in SR5.

Thanks for your time, bye.

welldressedgent

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <09-16-14/2256:02> »
Do you own This Old Drone? Ares Air Supply? has body 5 or 6.

SR5 is a pretty bad edition to be a combat rigger that's for sure. Arming your vehicle might be a better move by then.

g
« Last Edit: <09-16-14/2258:15> by welldressedgent »
wdg

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <09-17-14/0247:09> »
Take drones that can be outfitted with additional armor, so something humanoid looking. Don't overdo it though, as your GM might get out the really big guns fast, when your drone with Armor 9 an additional Armor Jacket for +8 needs 18 adjusted DV to be damaged. Remember, drones are immune to stun damage ;)

jerryme

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <09-17-14/0436:01> »
@welldressedgent

Things aren't what they used to be, right? I have the book, but we haven't used it so far. I think the Ares Air Supply is a bit large, but I like the Ares Guardian on the same page. It has Body 4 at least. I'm kind of looking for something that isn't defeated by stairs, though.

I agree with the armed vehicles. I was thinking about modifying an Entertainment Systems Cyclops which is a one-wheeled bike

@Lucean

Are we talking Otomo? I like its body value, but it is my understanding that it requires a human brain in it. I'll probably not be going that far.
How can I outfit something with additional armor? I'd gladly take penalties in speed or something.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. Any other survivability tips? Taking cover obviously. I don't know about shooting while moving. Makes you harder to hit, but also makes it harder for you, to hit. Gyro-link requires a turret that is 14F...

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #4 on: <09-17-14/2308:22> »
Hi people,

I know this has been discussed all over the internet, but I couldn't find an answer other than "Use them for long range attacks" or "Don't use them in direct combat"

there's a reason those are the only answers you found...
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <09-18-14/0449:47> »
Drones are King att alpha strike and ranged support. If they would also be durable then everyone would use them (don't need to be a rigger or having a rcc to instruct the autopilot on a drone).

jerryme

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <09-18-14/0906:20> »
Yes, I'm fine with that, but it's a little extreme that they can't withstand a single attack. Even with good cover the opponent usually hits.
Flyspy and cohorts are awesome, but combat drones are almost useless and unaffordable for a player character.

We're probably going to houserule something. Either we find a way so the drone can at least act once before going down or we're making them cheaper.

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #7 on: <09-18-14/0932:28> »
I understand this is for SR4 and things would work differently, but the house rule I've found pretty worthwhile in SR5 is to set the drone's condition monitor equivalent to Body*3. Microdrones are destroyed on any successful hit, including glancing. It makes the small drones less capable of withstanding attacks but give the security/combat drones more beef. Unless they're being rigged, most drones are rolling (at best) 9 dice to defend; possibly as few as 3 dice.
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #8 on: <09-18-14/1101:03> »
First, drones get less terrible at dodging things when you add defenses on to them. Defense Autosofts, Chameleon Coating, and Armor are the best way to keep your drones alive. Other than that, drones are best at long-range attacks, suppressing fire, and scouting/surveillance. Don't make them a front-line combatant. A Steel Lynx properly up-armored and running defense autosofts is less likely to get one-shotted (unless someone's using a sniper rifle or FA on you, in which case, better the drone than you!), but it is NOT a tank. Don't overreach.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Hibiki54

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <09-21-14/2009:17> »
I think the main concern besides the loss of the drone is the money sink that drones can be in both home campaign and in SR Missions.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #10 on: <09-23-14/0137:39> »
Drones have always been a horrific moneypit. They're moreso now since riggers appear to be second only to Technomancers on 5th edition's "to bone" list. Like I said, until the rigger book comes out and gives you actual options for improving drones and making them less bad, you're best bet is to keep them off the front line.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters