NEWS

[SR4] Bipedal Construction Vehicle (BCV)

• 18 Replies

WrongConcept

• Chummer
  • "This demonstrates my stupidity"
« on: <09-27-13/0040:49> »
Yes i do know the name kind of sucks, i wish to modify it, thing is im cheking arsenal rules because i have a Character in my campaing that wishes to be a Construction Private Contractor (Im not quite sure if thats the term) and he recently played Lost Planet 3 and wishes to have something like the Utility Rig from that universe, after reading trough the books and being a big Mecha Fan (Pat Labor and Evangelion anyone?) i tough why not? but im a bit stuck on a few concepts and of course on the mechanics of the creation of the vehicle (Please help me with the name!)

So this is what i have until now i will use the base vehicle as the Truck GAZ P-179 (I don't wish it to be excessively big its supposed to fit into an Ares Roadmaster Trailer Wich i assume by the description that is humongus!) Also i will give it Walker Mode and Two Full Arms, but im not sure of what else should i give to it... Maybe some "STR" (Body Enhancements) or some tools? Im not quite sure at this point, altough it should be cool but for tonight im spended! Good Night Chummers and Thanks in advance for the help!
"Welcome to the Shadows... We bake cookies on tuesdays and prepare for mass murder on saturdays, we do rest at sundays to start murdering on Monday... WHY?! my thats a stupid question, because mondays suck!" -Mad Gunner Brian

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <09-27-13/0111:26> »
Walker Mode (All, Groundcraft of Body 10 or Less Only):
Unless I'm mistaken, the P-179 doesn't meet that requirement. Why not go for any car with Body: 10, or Toyota Elite / Mercury Oort with Similar Model? (reduce the body by 1, increase anything else)

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #2 on: <09-27-13/0214:26> »
Yes i do know the name kind of sucks, i wish to modify it, thing is im cheking arsenal rules because i have a Character in my campaing that wishes to be a Construction Private Contractor (Im not quite sure if thats the term) and he recently played Lost Planet 3 and wishes to have something like the Utility Rig from that universe, after reading trough the books and being a big Mecha Fan (Pat Labor and Evangelion anyone?) i tough why not? but im a bit stuck on a few concepts and of course on the mechanics of the creation of the vehicle (Please help me with the name!)

So this is what i have until now i will use the base vehicle as the Truck GAZ P-179 (I don't wish it to be excessively big its supposed to fit into an Ares Roadmaster Trailer Wich i assume by the description that is humongus!) Also i will give it Walker Mode and Two Full Arms, but im not sure of what else should i give to it... Maybe some "STR" (Body Enhancements) or some tools? Im not quite sure at this point, altough it should be cool but for tonight im spended! Good Night Chummers and Thanks in advance for the help!

Speaking as someone from the industrial construction trades (Electrician and Industrial Instrumentation Mechanic) Some of the things you might want to consider :p

What is it's General roll on the job site?
Support?
Lifting?
Height?
Access?
Bracing?

All these roles, we currently have equipment for today. And they are all out fitted differently.

Support roles are things like taking fuel to the generators, thermal units, light standards. Removing of waste and a debris. And other housekeeping jobs (of which there is literally thousands on a big site)

Lifting is a job most people don't think about, but happens all the time. Construction supplies are HEAVY! As in the tens to hundreds of tons! Heck, armored Fiber Optic cable (practically the lightest cable used on an industrial site) weighs in at 3 to 5 tons for 4 to 6 KM roll! And don't even try to think about the High Voltage or instrument cabling.... those weight 6 to 15lbs PER FOOT.. and come in lengths of up to 4000 meters!

Some work can only be done up high.... and for that you need 1 of 2 things, a trolley down from the top, or an EWP. Now lifting something up and out is a lot harder then it sounds! (take a big jug of milk.... hold it below the waist, arm straight out. Now raise it slowly to above your shoulder, again keeping your arm straight out... Feel that? yea....) To give you an Idea a Genie z-80/60 can only safely hold about 500lbs at full extension, and weighs in at the tiny weight of.... 57,600 lbs. It's all about counter balancing the load.. the farther out you go, the more back weight you need.

Access is different then height... yet the same. You have to go somewhere that you can't reach any other way. And believe me, there are way too many of these places. Even after over 10 years of being the Foreman and up on industrial jobs, it amazes me that engineers can come up with the most retardedly, idiotic, bass-ackward wiring ideas EVER... and the crazy ass shit we have to pull out of our collective butts to make it happen.

Even with the most well thought out and laid out plans, there are times when REALLY heavy objects have to be held in place until they can be secured. For this we use high pressure "braces".. that usually take 2 to 6 hours to deploy and then hold the object in position until it can be secured.

Once you have a general idea of the machine's function, you'll have a better idea of what you need and what makes sense to add on as extras
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

WrongConcept

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <09-27-13/0950:56> »
Ok so the idea is a multi purpouse High Access Vehicle, ive been in a few construction sites myself (im an engeneer in informatics but sometimes i help with Comunications) the concept being that this vehicle can imitate a human terrain adaptability and still be able to lift the same ammounts a crane could, of course depending on terrain it has to be retrofitted or adapted to carry heavy loads by symply attaching parts or specialized gear, also they could have diferent kinds of "Hands/Arms/Legs" to support different tools, ways of transportation or modify completly their layout to be able to make almost any job, also by being armored it provides more security to its driver. Its as costly as a vehicle and comes in a lot of shapes and sizes, and are ideal for speeding up the job, by having a more maneuvrable Multi Purpouse High Access Construction Vehicle (MPHACV, That sounds awful) that has the same Metahuman capabilytis but on a larger scale... Im not sure if im making much sense right now... Reaver can you give me your oppinion on how useful a vehicle like that would be for construction?

Novacrane that actually sounds good, let me give more tough to it and ill get back to you with a finished stats mode for the vehicle
"Welcome to the Shadows... We bake cookies on tuesdays and prepare for mass murder on saturdays, we do rest at sundays to start murdering on Monday... WHY?! my thats a stupid question, because mondays suck!" -Mad Gunner Brian

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <09-27-13/1217:21> »
Ok so the idea is a multi purpouse High Access Vehicle, ive been in a few construction sites myself (im an engeneer in informatics but sometimes i help with Comunications) the concept being that this vehicle can imitate a human terrain adaptability and still be able to lift the same ammounts a crane could, of course depending on terrain it has to be retrofitted or adapted to carry heavy loads by symply attaching parts or specialized gear, also they could have diferent kinds of "Hands/Arms/Legs" to support different tools, ways of transportation or modify completly their layout to be able to make almost any job, also by being armored it provides more security to its driver. Its as costly as a vehicle and comes in a lot of shapes and sizes, and are ideal for speeding up the job, by having a more maneuvrable Multi Purpouse High Access Construction Vehicle (MPHACV, That sounds awful) that has the same Metahuman capabilytis but on a larger scale... Im not sure if im making much sense right now... Reaver can you give me your oppinion on how useful a vehicle like that would be for construction?

Novacrane that actually sounds good, let me give more tough to it and ill get back to you with a finished stats mode for the vehicle

it is doable. And there would be a demand for such a vehicle. But keep in mind, it would be heavy! As in the tens of thousands of pounds..... which isnt a concern for construction, but might not be the best for a runner.

for add ons, a compression gun, welder, manipulation arms and braces would all be good attachments.

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

WrongConcept

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <09-27-13/1243:28> »
My game for the moment its not a Shadowrun classic game, they are survivors of the Chicago Tactical Nuke Catastrophy when KE destroy the Universal Brotherhood so she is really a legal Private Construction Contractor most of the players are "clean" i will post my campaing idea on the Game Masters board. Also do you think a vehicle that heavy could be transported in a Heavy Cargo Truck?  And transported i mean to acctually serve as a Repair shop for the mech, i was thinking of using the Ares Roadmaster And making it a modification (only for a docking bay for that vehicle) as half the modifications it can take, as in SR4 the Ares Roadmaster has 16 Body that would be 8 Slots, i think is a good number and maybe a cost off bodyx500 of the vehicle to be fitted in, what do you think?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <09-27-13/1401:52> »
My game for the moment its not a Shadowrun classic game, they are survivors of the Chicago Tactical Nuke Catastrophy when KE destroy the Universal Brotherhood so she is really a legal Private Construction Contractor most of the players are "clean" i will post my campaing idea on the Game Masters board. Also do you think a vehicle that heavy could be transported in a Heavy Cargo Truck?  And transported i mean to acctually serve as a Repair shop for the mech, i was thinking of using the Ares Roadmaster And making it a modification (only for a docking bay for that vehicle) as half the modifications it can take, as in SR4 the Ares Roadmaster has 16 Body that would be 8 Slots, i think is a good number and maybe a cost off bodyx500 of the vehicle to be fitted in, what do you think?

not too sure really.

Right now EWPs are generally shipped on a flat bed transport truck.... and a Seacan is shipped seperately for general maintainance.  Any major damage (basically metal to metal contact) results in the lift being pulled out of service, and taken to a service facility for componet stress testing

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #7 on: <09-27-13/1402:26> »
What you need is Beaver drone for the start, then mod i all by yourself...

WrongConcept

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <09-27-13/1552:42> »
Now that is interesting, thats a good sugestion, i could simply modify it a bit (altough i looked the drone section seven times to find it, passed over it six times! i hate my brain) make it of bigger scale, i like what i see! also i have a concept for those construction Mechs i would like to hear opinions

Mechanized All Terrain Assembly Vehicle (MATAV): This vehicles where used from the 20's to the 40's and are still used by a few contractors, however theyve been largely replaced by cheaper more practical drones that actually keep the workers out of the danger zone... The fact that the new drones can work 24/7 non stop is another plus the companys perceived after the security of the workers (Insert laughter here). The MATAV where used in many construction sites, from normal urban sprawl to the most  ridiculous constructions sites like ocean beds and other hazardous places, they can be equipped with several different tools for different functions. The legal licence for this vehicle requires a test for general purpouse construction, one for welding, mining and others, some jurisdictions requiere only the general licence others like megas have a strict licence operating proccedures.

I will post the stats later!

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <09-27-13/1604:56> »
I should have inserted the page reference, well that would mean you wont receive Explorer perk

WrongConcept

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <09-27-13/1621:43> »
Dont worry Sichr just the reference was enought for me to find it, also i have something here we call SDA it should translete to something like Attention Disorder Sindrome or something like that, i will post the results this night!

Edit: Mesametric Beaver (Walker Construction Drone) Pag. 122 Arsenal
« Last Edit: <09-27-13/1623:39> by WrongConcept »

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <09-27-13/1637:43> »
Personally, I wouldn't worry about a "legal License" tests.... the costs of such vehicles themselves (supply and demand) means that they cost way too much for personal use and would be limited to big construction companies that have the assets to purchase and see it as an investment...

Meaning, if the vehicle "should" be in the $100k+ range... and the guy that construction work once in a while wouldn't bother with one.... while a Construction company would buy several as they plan to have them in constant use (and charge the customer for the use!)..... which would work out just fine for your character concept as well..

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <09-27-13/1643:39> »
Dont worry Sichr just the reference was enought for me to find it, also i have something here we call SDA it should translete to something like Attention Disorder Sindrome or something like that, i will post the results this night!

Edit: Mesametric Beaver (Walker Construction Drone) Pag. 122 Arsenal

You know what? Challenge accepted. Initializing Chummer :)

WrongConcept

• Chummer
« Reply #13 on: <09-28-13/0222:31> »
Ok so its 1:20 am im destroyed but i think i came up with something kind of cool first of all Titanfall is more of what i was looking for Los Planet is just to bulky and limited for what i was searching, i have a way of thanking people for participating i hope you like it!

[spoiler=This is the kind of image and size i wished for the Mech][/spoiler]

Reaver Industries MATAV model Sichr

Reaver industries was lifting off to the Mega Shuffle, it was becoming a monster in construction, from design, supervision, materials, machinery and consultory they were quickly becoming one of the best of the best, but not fast enought or so thei CEO's tough at the moment, so they made an all or nothing bet, Introducing the MATAV first model ever the Sichr, the sheer power and versatility of the machine left baffle at many that did not see the potential, and make some corporate seats very very preocupied, for all the success of the Sichr model it was quickly discontinued (it was too good, and a wee bit ilegal but nothing worrysome), the end of the Reaver Industries was set when their installations suffered a massive Attack from an Eco Radical group... Weird thing is that no group publicly acknowledge the attack, Shadowrunners where suspected, but never proven.

There are still rumours that Reaver industries lead engeneer a strange guy called Novacrane is still out there making Machines that will improve lifestyle for everyone... With the toothfairy and probably Santa Claus...

MATAV Sichr Model

Size:
Height: 5 Meters
Width: 2 Meters
Depth: 0.5 Meters (Not so sure on this)
Weight: 20tons

Seats: Only Pilot
Handling: -1
Accel: 5/15
Speed: 15
Pilot: 3
Body: 10
Upgrade Slots: 10/10 (All slots available)
Armor: 8
Sensor: 1 (Camera Suit Package Omnidirectional View)
Avail: R12
Cost: 100.000 Nuyen
Std Upgrades: Mechanical Arms, Walker Mode, Obsolete,  High Grade Manipulation, Improved Lifting, Nuclear Reactor.

Home Rules Upgrades
High Grade Manipulation (1): This Upgrade allows for fine manipulation of a vehicle Mechanical Arms, allowing it to use complex devices such as proper size tools and weapons, this gives a hand with an oposable thumb be it five fingered or the more comon Three fingered.

Unique Home Rules Upgrades
Improved Lifting: This Mech can lift twice its own weight, it checks Body(of the MATAV) + Pilot Antroform, With one hit he is lifting half of his weight, with two hits he is lifting his weight, with three hits he is lifting his weight plus half his weight and with four hits he is lifting double his weight. Any damage taken during this operation cannot be resisted due to the materials being in high tension, also when lifting over two hits (More than his weight) the mech receives one point of unresisted damage each minute while lifting.

Nuclear Reactor: The wee bit ilegal part of the MATAV this nuclear reactor provides "unlimited" power source for the Vehicle the Nuclear reactor requires minimal maintenance and generates almost cero waste, however in the case of critical damage (The moment 8 boxes of damage are filled) the reactor can and will begin to melt in 1d6 minutes, an extended test of Logic + Atomotive Mechanics (I think i will change it later to Nuclear Engeneering but im not sure) Target 16 Interval 1 minute or the reactor will melt down and will incur in a small explosion of 80P -1/m with lingering damaging effects)

Basic Gear

Oversiced Construction Tools Cost5000 Nuyen Avail14: Just as the name implies, also any other appropiate tool kit can be created for this or any other model of MATAV

Rewiring Cost25.000 Nuyen Avail25: Removes the obsolete Vehicle Trait and allows for moder use, including if desired a rigger module and a mandatory increase of sensor to 12 withouth any cost for upgrades

Combat Retrofitting 100.000 Nuyen or more F25: Adds more armor, an appropiate weapon, and a speed and accel improvement, painted cammo, and any other upgrade must be bought at x10 the price including weapons (except vehicle mounted weapons wich he can accept with a minor modification increasing the cost by only 5% base price).
« Last Edit: <09-28-13/0245:25> by WrongConcept »

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <09-28-13/0234:34> »
Only thing I am seeing is the depth of the unit.
Lifting is done by hydrolics, that requires fluid.... which requires space. the depth would be more like 2 or 3 meters... and yes that would make it deeper then wide, it still works for the realism, due the need for counter weight, and the fact that EWPS are actually wider at body then the base in some positions. And this is especially true if this a vehicle and NOT a drone!