NEWS

SR Fiction - Shaken: No Job Too Small

• 52 Replies

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <07-12-15/2150:09> »
Indeed...even though I got my print copy about a month ago, do read anything until the digital comes out. Expect it will make sound great reading got next week ;)

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <07-13-15/0108:34> »
My copy should be arriving tomorrow. I had to special order it, as the closest B&N store hadn't been scheduled to receive any copies. It's a bit weird though, as they did have a copy of Borrowed Time Available in the store. I will probably start reading it Wednesday night, and have it finished Thursday or Friday at the latest.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #17 on: <07-13-15/0315:34> »
My love for Mentor Spirits just doubled. I really need to spend more time on using player's mentor spirits in my games. Nicely done, Mr.Zimmerman.
« Last Edit: <07-13-15/0321:13> by PiXeL01 »
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #18 on: <07-13-15/0330:27> »
My love for Mentor Spirits just doubled. I really need to spend more time on using player's mentor spirits in my games. Nicely done, Mr.Zimmerman.
*thumbs up*

I think I know what chapter you just finished.   ;D

Sterling

• Omae
  • Dragged in by the credstick
« Reply #19 on: <07-13-15/1125:30> »
Just finished after 6+ hours of solid reading.

Anyone who has any concerns about the quality of current Shadowrun fiction can put those fears to rest.  It was a brilliant read, with great characterisation and wonderfully descriptive.  At times I could almost hear a saxophone playing softly in the background as Jimmy Kincaid, P.I. reviewed a situation through his optic filters.

The problem with some novels is that minor characters can come across as two-dimensional stereotypes, but that doesn't happen here.  I really want to go into details but will not go into spoilers.

Okay.  Just one spoiler.  Critias hit the nail on the head with the description of Sterling, both in looks and deeds.  Sterling is a badass!

One quick question for the author; is WhiteBrite Betel gumTM as addictive as the normal type of Betel gum that stains your teeth?
« Last Edit: <07-14-15/0517:08> by Sterling »
"His name is Sterling. He’s an ex-pat Brit making a living as a fixer and a hacker in Metropole. He’s a rare blend of upstanding and fun...(so) listen to his experience."
>>Data Trails, p.82

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #20 on: <07-13-15/1248:48> »
I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it, Sterling, and thanks for the comments.  Spoiler-free (or mostly ;) ) comments are always welcome, I dig feedback, y'all know that.  Feel free to toss up reviews and stuff where ever you bought it, too, dudes and dudettes!

And yeah, WhiteBrite is his favorite brand of Betel gum;  every bit as addictive, does the normal Betel stuff as far as in-game effects, but is also crazy minty and tooth-whitening (because by the 2070s the technology is there to make some things APPEAR fine and healthy, even if they're not). 

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <07-14-15/0438:55> »
Any new pieces of crunch in this? It's a nice little bonus seeing the odd bit of interesting gear or something crop up from these...
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #22 on: <07-14-15/0447:15> »
Any new pieces of crunch in this? It's a nice little bonus seeing the odd bit of interesting gear or something crop up from these...
It's a novel, not a book from the enhanced fiction line, sorry. 

I've got stats for Kincaid and his supporting characters all locked down in my head (well, locked down but changing as the stories do), but I haven't done anything for the e-fiction guys, so I have yet to publish that particular mixture of fluff and crunch.

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #23 on: <07-14-15/0744:23> »
*Chuckles* All good mate, can be hard to tell at times what stories will and won't have crunch.
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #24 on: <07-14-15/0822:28> »
I was hungering for stats on particularly Sideways throughout the whole affair ^^

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #25 on: <07-14-15/1617:48> »
None for SR5 yet, I'm afraid.  Jimmy's just been rolling by with the SR4A stuff for a while now.  ;)

adzling

« Reply #26 on: <07-14-15/1634:22> »
the first book was good...waiting for this one to come out on kindle.....
wait i just noticed on the amazon store and picked it up!
oooh

deville

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
« Reply #27 on: <07-14-15/1708:20> »
I started reading this yesterday afternoon after I got it off of Amazon and did not want to put it down for anything. The thing I love most about this book is that all the characters were treated like real people with real reasons to do what they did and act the way they did. There was plenty of Sixth World background and flavor, another plus in my opinion. Very much a great hard boiled detective story, too. All in all a great "Shadowrun" novel and great detective story as well.

So, how soon will the next book be out . . .   I'm ready for more . . .  :)

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #28 on: <07-14-15/1750:20> »
I started reading this yesterday afternoon after I got it off of Amazon and did not want to put it down for anything. The thing I love most about this book is that all the characters were treated like real people with real reasons to do what they did and act the way they did. There was plenty of Sixth World background and flavor, another plus in my opinion. Very much a great hard boiled detective story, too. All in all a great "Shadowrun" novel and great detective story as well.
Glad you enjoyed it!  One of the toughest parts of writing for Kincaid is trying to balance all that, and it's great to hear it hit the spot for you.  Feel free to post a review somewhere!  Additional feedback's always welcome.
So, how soon will the next book be out . . .   I'm ready for more . . .  :)
Gimme a little bit.  I'm workin' on it!

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #29 on: <07-14-15/1845:53> »
Another thing I liked about the book was that the protagonist did not seem to have too much plot armor. It was always documented why he made it through, yet still he almost bled out a few times. Those are the kind of heroes you want to read about, the bloodied, the scarred, the relentless. Not those who reflect Thor shots with their chrome eyebrow.
Kincaid is close to reaching Dirk Montgomery levels here!
Aside from Neat are there other works featuring him?