NEWS

GM Dilema, Weapon range table

• 23 Replies

Agonar

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <08-18-14/2159:22> »
The only thing I like from this, is the minimum range for some weapons.  I have been thinking of implementing a minimum range for weapons like sniper rifles, sporting rifles, and the like.  This is mainly because of a personal pet peeve with longarms being just as accurate and mobile as pistols in tight/close quarters situations.
GM of the Relative Dimension, Actual Play Podcast
www.relativedimension.com

MrGray

• Newb
« Reply #16 on: <09-20-14/1212:54> »
hey its me again
lolaf okay I have in my old days had gone shooting a few time and even had IRA cert for rifle out to 50m
any way  when one of my friends wanted  to start shooting I went along and showed him what I had learned in training class for shooting
so he puts up the target and sends it on its way to the far end (like you see in  the moves and  quick draw and fires his new 9m pistol at the  6' man silo
happy as he can be brings in the target from 100m and boom not a sing hole in the paper
so I then tell him their is no way to hit with pistol that far out just you heart rate will move the bullet more the a foot by the time  the bullet gets there
so then he puts the paper back out only this time stops at about 10m at this point first time shooter is hitting the paper out side  selo here, the  edge of paper there,  and one to the inside at waist ( hold privates and cringes)
ouch . in physics a pistol  can  send a ball way  more then 10m but your not going to hit anything.
at this point my friend mabe owns more guns the Chalely Hesston and has worked for a couple gun ranges

on the other hand he  is right with rifle if you are not holding it and using as a shotgun at close range  the target moves out of field of vision to fast
I when was in my shooting class I got my cert for  rifle iron sites 50m (think is 50) was 98% in 2 stances never had time to finish the others to get sharpshooter
by the way that 10 shots inside or at the edge of the center ring on 10 diff  targets on the test sheet in prone and sitting . for practice I shot 1hour a day 3 days a week for 6 weeks which is way more then

on the submissions anyone hit no I am a troll

There is no black and white only Mr.Gray

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #17 on: <09-20-14/1546:30> »
hey its me again
lolaf okay I have in my old days had gone shooting a few time and even had IRA cert for rifle out to 50m
any way  when one of my friends wanted  to start shooting I went along and showed him what I had learned in training class for shooting
so he puts up the target and sends it on its way to the far end (like you see in  the moves and  quick draw and fires his new 9m pistol at the  6' man silo
happy as he can be brings in the target from 100m and boom not a sing hole in the paper
so I then tell him their is no way to hit with pistol that far out just you heart rate will move the bullet more the a foot by the time  the bullet gets there
so then he puts the paper back out only this time stops at about 10m at this point first time shooter is hitting the paper out side  selo here, the  edge of paper there,  and one to the inside at waist ( hold privates and cringes)
ouch . in physics a pistol  can  send a ball way  more then 10m but your not going to hit anything.
at this point my friend mabe owns more guns the Chalely Hesston and has worked for a couple gun ranges

on the other hand he  is right with rifle if you are not holding it and using as a shotgun at close range  the target moves out of field of vision to fast
I when was in my shooting class I got my cert for  rifle iron sites 50m (think is 50) was 98% in 2 stances never had time to finish the others to get sharpshooter
by the way that 10 shots inside or at the edge of the center ring on 10 diff  targets on the test sheet in prone and sitting . for practice I shot 1hour a day 3 days a week for 6 weeks which is way more then

on the submissions anyone hit no I am a troll

That depends on your skill.  I can hit a stationary man-sized target with a pistol at fifty yards, myself.  It'll be aimed at center mass, and odds are it's not hitting the center of said mass, but I can still do it (and that's with standing, not braced against anything to provide support).  It helps a bit that the pistol I'm doing with that is designed more for competition shooting; it has a slightly longer barrel, adjusted trigger, etc. to help with that.  My father, who's been qualified to train people to shoot firearms as long as I've been alive, can hit a target further out.  EDIT: As it turns out, just the other day he was shooting a pistol and hitting center mass on a man-sized target at 100 yards.  It's completely possible, especially if you have aids (like the ones in Shadowrun, such as magic, cybernetic limbs, smartgun systems, etc.). 

When it comes to a rifle, I can hit a man-sized target at 500 yards with iron sights, using 5.56mm.  That's generally acknowledged as near the maximum effectively aimed range of 5.56 rounds (depends on the individual rifle at that point, including factors like barrel length, rifling, the grain and powder load of the round, etc.), although I've seen experts hit a target 1,000 yards out, with iron sights.  The people I was training with at the time, many of which had never held a firearm before, did pretty well as well, with 1 week of stance practice and lessons, and 1 week of live fire (after firing... 500 rounds in total?  I haven't done the math in a while). 
« Last Edit: <09-20-14/1958:22> by MijRai »
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

enderci

• Newb
« Reply #18 on: <10-07-14/0318:03> »
Experience aside, what does the player really want? Why not let him fudge it and buy an assault rifle, use the automatics skills, and rule of cool it as being the size of a pistol?

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <10-07-14/1236:16> »
When it comes to Small Amrs Ranges, I dont see the problem. They are just fine imo - as long as you dont want a less realistic and more hollywood-like experience.

What bugs me more, and not just since 5th, the core concept of basing the range increments and Boni only on the Weapon type. With a Sniper Rifle, you need to be at least 400 Meter away to even feel that there is a Distance between you and your target. You just point the thing on your target and fire without any need to take aim for a shot over almost half a Kilometer, as if you are firing on someone right in front of you. Thats not even realistic for a well prepared sniper in a good, still position and with good sight. And here you can do that while running! If your target is just a little moving spot in the Distance, the length of the barell sholdn´t compensate everything.

I think there should be a general Malus - regardles of the Weapon, and maybe even for targets of LOS Spells and Powers - für Attacks over a Distance of over, lets say, 200 Meters or more. Or maybe a mandatory take Aim Action, especially for small and/or moving targets.

Edit: Trying to work this is out with a new range table, but a different approach.

« Last Edit: <10-07-14/1259:04> by Finstersang »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #20 on: <10-07-14/1333:40> »
You still need to be able to properly see the enemy to target them.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Shaidar

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <10-09-14/0849:45> »
Did anyone else notice that Machine Pistol ranges are closer to Heavy Pistol ranges than Light Pistol ranges.  RAW has it the other way.

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #22 on: <11-26-14/0137:57> »
Since your player put lots of effort into this, I would not just say no. I would say you can use the table for any weapon your character has a skill rating of 10 in. That reflects lots of range practice, which others here have said can make it happen. That gives the player something to work for, and plenty of time to get used to the existing table.
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #23 on: <11-26-14/1428:48> »
Sounds like a bad attitude, 'the player does their best so give them what they want'. If a player wants to steal a Banshee without consequences that doesn't mean they can get it.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!