NEWS

More questions from a new DM don't you love us?

• 134 Replies

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #105 on: <08-17-11/0729:12> »
I got a question about explosives. It's a thing I've been using on the fly. I've looked at the grenade section and it shows a 1 2 3 4 5 6 spread. Is that the way the explosion goes out? If so is it totally possible not to get hit by a grenade that lands near you? Also does the damage fade with distance?

Reading further into the book, i'm curious does everyone do the award karma on those things? I've noticed if you play with a smaller group More Karma per character tends to be given out, than a larger group. Thoughts? I remember reading somewhere for 2,500 credits per karma equation somewhere in this topic. I'm afraid I may have been giving my guys dirt cheap jobs, though in truth. I'm not sure they've faced anything overtly challenging like breaking into a security building. Though this mission they are currently where Wyoming State used to be. The Sioux Territory in a city with an outbreak virus that they delievered. (>.> they crashed their plane xD) anyways think RE Racoon City and you get the picture) Not sure how they are going to make money out of this one but it should be interesting to say the least.

I wonder if Ghouls look like zombies... if so i could add that in, and they'd probably shoot first and ask questions later until it talks to them. xD
A) The 1 2 3 4 5 6 is for Scatter (not spread). Grenades rarely explode exactly where you want them to, especially for new PC's. Very few PC's take the skills and adjustments necessary to get pinpoint accuracy on grenades right out of the gate ;)

B) Yes, damage fades with distance. All grenades (and other explosives) have a rating per meter, which is how much LESS damage they do the further you are away. For example a Grenade that does (10P, -2/m) will do 10P damage if at your feet, 8P damage if 1meter away, 6P at 2meters, 4P at 3meters, 2P at 4meters, and Zero damage if 5meters or further from the target.

C) Karma and cash are not equivalent. There are guidelines, and the book provides these. In SR4, I've been on runs which gave 50k and 5 Karma, and others where cash was 10K but gave 8 karma.... there's no direct scale between the two...

D) Ghouls can look like Zombies... but not necessarily. They can be as weird, or as normal-looking as the GM desires.... and as with every other metahuman race, they can have dramatic variance between them ranging the full spectrum of appearances...
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #106 on: <08-17-11/1136:10> »
I got a question about explosives. It's a thing I've been using on the fly. I've looked at the grenade section and it shows a 1 2 3 4 5 6 spread. Is that the way the explosion goes out? If so is it totally possible not to get hit by a grenade that lands near you? Also does the damage fade with distance?

The Scatter rules are...sub-optimal.

The roll determines the direction the 'nade bounces, and another roll, modified by net hits, determines the distance. Each grenade has a fade listed on the table along with damage. So if it has "-2/4m" it would lose 2 damage every 4m away from the point of detonation.

Not ALL grenades reduce that way - Flashbangs, for instance - but most do.

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

kirk

• Omae
« Reply #107 on: <08-17-11/1143:41> »

You're being nice. Who are you, and when did you hack Joe's account?  ;D

FWIW it's worth it makes a mediocre compromise between Miss+scatter accuracy and simplicity for an AoE attack. It could be worse.

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #108 on: <08-17-11/1347:01> »

The roll determines the direction the 'nade bounces, and another roll, modified by net hits, determines the distance. Each grenade has a fade listed on the table along with damage. So if it has "-2/4m" it would lose 2 damage every 4m away from the point of detonation.

Not ALL grenades reduce that way - Flashbangs, for instance - but most do.

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

Ok I think I get part of what you guys are saying now. When you throw a grenade It only makes sence that it would bounce. (heh, even though I would have never concluded that without someone reminding me.)

So that 123456 is which way it bounces from where you threw it. and the net his are how far it bounces? If so why would you WANT net hits? Wouldn't that make it further away from your target? Or can you choose to count net hits to it land's where you want it to land? o.O'

I'm asking because my group seems to like using grenades. (flash has been used the most and flare compensation has made it pretty easy to ignore them) However I want to start using them tactically against my shadowrunner PC's to show them how you do it. (heh, that should be interesting *grins*)
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #109 on: <08-17-11/1359:28> »
I'm always nice...

...by my standards.  :P

(I would think that my sig lines would be warning enough.)

Scatter - the net hits are subtracted from the Scatter roll, not added. The Scatter roll is calculated based on what is Scattering...I think 'nades are 2D6? Some would suggest that the safest person is the target.

Also, the fuse on the grenade is based on how fast the thrower is - it detonates on his next Initiative Pass, so if you're a speed demon, throw your grenades later in the round.

Like I said...the rules are a bit quirky in this area.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist
« Last Edit: <08-17-11/1402:23> by JoeNapalm »

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #110 on: <08-17-11/1428:34> »
I'm always nice...

...by my standards.  :P

(I would think that my sig lines would be warning enough.)

Scatter - the net hits are subtracted from the Scatter roll, not added. The Scatter roll is calculated based on what is Scattering...I think 'nades are 2D6? Some would suggest that the safest person is the target.

Also, the fuse on the grenade is based on how fast the thrower is - it detonates on his next Initiative Pass, so if you're a speed demon, throw your grenades later in the round.

Like I said...the rules are a bit quirky in this area.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

*static appears on the screen behind me showing what I'm thinking*

So besides looking at that and being like a dwarf in the headlights of a speeding hovercraft.

Does scatter determine the way the explosion goes outward? If so why would you want net hits to reduce scatter?
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #111 on: <08-17-11/1438:28> »

The explosion from a grenade is spherical. It goes outward in all directions.

The Scatter direction determines the direction of the bounce. A second roll determines the distance of the Scatter, which for grenades I believe is (2D6 - Net Hits). Damage is reduced by calculating the distance from the blast and applying damage reduction as per the specific type of grenade.

So the more Net Hits, the closer the 'nade lands, and therefore the less fade is applied to the damage.

I think you're seeing the word "Scatter" and thinking about fragments. Fragmentation is a function of the blast radius.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #112 on: <08-17-11/1450:34> »

The explosion from a grenade is spherical. It goes outward in all directions.

The Scatter direction determines the direction of the bounce. A second roll determines the distance of the Scatter, which for grenades I believe is (2D6 - Net Hits). Damage is reduced by calculating the distance from the blast and applying damage reduction as per the specific type of grenade.

So the more Net Hits, the closer the 'nade lands, and therefore the less fade is applied to the damage.

I think you're seeing the word "Scatter" and thinking about fragments. Fragmentation is a function of the blast radius.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

That is exactly what I was thinking yes.

Shango

• Newb
« Reply #113 on: <08-22-11/2300:13> »
Hey Zilfer,
I've been reading through the thread here and I noticed something about your payer's troll.
That adrenal pump he's using?
That is one very dangerous piece of gear.
Sure, it gives some great bonuses and makes you imune to stunning, but, once it is activated you can not turn it off.

The pump works for Rating x 1D6 turns; this duration cannot be ended prematurely. SR4A pg 345. (emphasis mine)

Also, on the same page:
When the duration ends, the user crashes, immediately taking one box of unresisted Stun damage for every turn the pump was active.

That means that he will take the damage and he can't even try to resist it.
In short, this is a useful piece of bioware (which, incidently, means that the hacker can't control it. It has no electronic components), but should never be a go to option, more of a "Wholly crap, we're gonna die if I don't use this!!!" option.
Also keep in mind that if you are feeling particularly evil you can call for a composure roll under stressfull conditions (like combat), if he fails the pump activates whether he wants it to or not.

Just my 2 NewYen worth.
-Erich

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #114 on: <08-23-11/1058:53> »
Hey Zilfer,
I've been reading through the thread here and I noticed something about your payer's troll.
That adrenal pump he's using?
That is one very dangerous piece of gear.
Sure, it gives some great bonuses and makes you imune to stunning, but, once it is activated you can not turn it off.

The pump works for Rating x 1D6 turns; this duration cannot be ended prematurely. SR4A pg 345. (emphasis mine)

Also, on the same page:
When the duration ends, the user crashes, immediately taking one box of unresisted Stun damage for every turn the pump was active.

That means that he will take the damage and he can't even try to resist it.
In short, this is a useful piece of bioware (which, incidently, means that the hacker can't control it. It has no electronic components), but should never be a go to option, more of a "Wholly crap, we're gonna die if I don't use this!!!" option.
Also keep in mind that if you are feeling particularly evil you can call for a composure roll under stressfull conditions (like combat), if he fails the pump activates whether he wants it to or not.

Just my 2 NewYen worth.
-Erich

O.o' interesting, was this in the main book or supplement?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #115 on: <08-23-11/1100:22> »
Erich quoted book and page.  SR4A (Shadowrun 4th Edition, 20th Anniversary Printing), Page 345.

So, yes, main rule book.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #116 on: <08-23-11/1128:46> »
Erich quoted book and page.  SR4A (Shadowrun 4th Edition, 20th Anniversary Printing), Page 345.

So, yes, main rule book.

"Hi, my name is Roy, and I'm in a super amount of pain, right now."
-- Mystery Men

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #117 on: <08-23-11/1135:13> »
I'm sorry, are my Tech Support scars showing?

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #118 on: <08-23-11/1306:44> »
I understand the frustration.

I'm sure you also understand some people go onto the internet to check up on things while working at work. I skimmed the post and my eyes naturally block out sources from reading papers with sources spilled everywhere through it. xD

Anyways it helps when your the only IT guy at work. :D

Though really i'm more half receptionist half IT. (xD well you gotta get a job where you can sometimes. xD)

Thanks for pointing out the obvious for me however.

I had a question about combat spells. Does each hit increase the DV? I saw it was optional in the direct but way down at the bottom of that page i also saw a section where it acted like it was a rule. <.< so..... oppinions?

If it's per hit than that makes spells a whole lot more deadly!!!!

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #119 on: <08-23-11/1714:17> »
I can't be arsed to go through the book, but that's how I always ran it.

It can get upsetting when you overflow stun damage into physical, however.

"Damn, that man fell asleep so hard he got a nose bleed.  And blood coming out of his ears.  And eyes.  ...  Oh, that's not good."

#ThisTaserGoesTo11