NEWS

[Work in progress] [Resource] PC Dice Roller

• 4 Replies

vukovinski

• Newb
  • tools developer
« on: <12-04-13/0557:34> »
Hi guys!

I'm currently working on a Shadowrun SR5 Dice Roller for GM's. The roller currently supports normal rolls (5d6, 1d6, etc.), pushing the limits, macros such as skill tests, skill tests with edge, attribute + atribute tests (composure, memory, judge inten., etc.). The roller works with character files, and loads the characters attributes and skills from a file. It has a built in character creator (only for writing att's and skills!).

Its still work in progress, so I'm only posting some screens for now, latter on, when I write the documentation, I'll release a public beta version. And finally, when I finish the GUI I'll make an official release.

All suggestions are welcome!

EDIT: Documentation written, public beta released!

DOWNLOAD:
DiceRoller-SR5-free
Documentation (Also in the above link)

Screens:

« Last Edit: <12-06-13/0546:14> by vukovinski »

Rainslicker

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <12-04-13/0730:44> »
Well to be honest its hard to give suggestions on something thats not done.
In the console it looks just fine and I will be interested to see how you work out the GUI.
I got a few questions.
What language are you writing it in?
Would it be possible to add a character creator to it as well, so that you have like a full suite?
Best Regards
Rainslicker

"Why waste negative entropy on comments, when you could use the same entropy to create bugs instead?"
Your mode of life will be changed to EBCDIC.
ASCII stupid questions and get EBCDIC answers.

vukovinski

• Newb
  • tools developer
« Reply #2 on: <12-04-13/0747:21> »
@Rainslicker
Firstly, thanks for the comment!  ;)
I'm writing this in Python 2.7, as I believe Python  is the most rewarding language for this problem, because of its syntax, and because of its deployment options. I'm considering creating a Django powered web application, or a C#/C++ powered desktop GUI. (Thought both of these will require major code rewriting.)
Regarding the character creator, I think it really is possible, tough the biggest problem would be scripting gear, just because the sheer amount of it. If I commit to implement a character creator, I'll also add sprites/spirits, and spells/complex forms, and AI's as objects/classes.

P.S. Also regarding desktop GUI, I kinda think a split console-gui window would be a perfect solution, because the console can be used to quickly perform many rolls just by typing, and there would be a fallback UI for users not confident enough with console applications, and possibly, as a character creator/editor.

vukovinski

Rainslicker

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <12-04-13/0854:56> »
Aright cool.
If you need help with coding or just throwing some ideas I am more then willing to do such.
I know quite a bit of programming... since thats kinda what I work with.
I like the thought of the split console UI since I prefer console applications at times and for such a thing I believe that console is easier to work with.
I am not sure if I would go with a desktop version, maybe do a html version rather so you can put it out on a site... but thats just me.
It all depends on how far you want to take this.
Best Regards
Rainslicker

"Why waste negative entropy on comments, when you could use the same entropy to create bugs instead?"
Your mode of life will be changed to EBCDIC.
ASCII stupid questions and get EBCDIC answers.

vukovinski

• Newb
  • tools developer
« Reply #4 on: <12-06-13/0540:26> »
Released a public beta version, check the first post!  ;D