NEWS

[Module] The Bunraku Breakout, my first 4th ed run

• 5 Replies

Zolt

• Newb
« on: <12-25-12/0420:31> »
PDF of this module here
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B9qotGcGmvbpQUdQbFdKdXY2akU

After I finally found a likely group of players in my neck of the woods, I decided to dust off my unused 4th edition core book and start GMing. I had (what I thought was) a cool idea for a simple run to be played in one sitting, as an introductory game. All players save one were new to Shadowrun. The run aims to demonstrate the main principles of Shadowrun, with some investigation and legwork followed by a fairly straightforward extraction. (next up: a practical demonstration of "Conserve ammo, and never deal with a dragon".)

I've cleaned up my notes on this run and I'm posting them here, in part for other GMs to use at their convenience, but mostly because I hope you guys can review it and point out any lore, rules, design or grammar errors I may have made. I am after all still new to 4th ed, and English is not even my native language (it is for my players though, one more reason why I'm self-conscious about this).

It contains a couple excerpts from "Seattle 2072" to use as player handouts, I hope that falls within fair use.

I had them play this in 2072, with a group of pregen characters, consisting of one troll enforcer, one rigger (Smuggler from the book, heavily adapted), one private eye and passable hacker, and one combat mage.

Again, any feedback is more than welcome.

Kat9

« Reply #1 on: <12-26-12/0750:16> »
If no one else is going to jump to comment, I want to say I really liked reading it. The format is good, and the writing is fun. It was almost like you could imagine it as a solo adventure.

GhostWriter

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <12-26-12/0923:17> »
^ Agreed. Mind if I use it?

Zolt

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <12-26-12/1106:05> »
^ Agreed. Mind if I use it?
Not at all.   ;D
Challenge level is fairly low but that should be easy to tweak. It was intended for characters that haven't quite made the leap into the shadows yet. A couple of the pregens even had real SINs. Having the yakuza firebomb their apartment in reprisal was intended as a practical lesson in why having a datatrail sucks.

Reiper

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <01-31-13/1902:38> »
Very nicely done, I may even use this one myself on my rotation

I always love a good Yakuza run (although my characters are often associated with them)
Talk
Thoughts
Astral
Matrix
"Hello, my name is Johnson, I would like to introduce you to my associates, Mr. Johnson, Mr. Johnson, and Mrs. Johnson."

Elektrycerze3

• Omae
  • Russian Decker
« Reply #5 on: <03-19-13/0324:16> »
Looks real nice and interesting =)

By the way, I though that bunraku is illegal, but your parlor is just in plain sight in Downtown. Is there any cover for the thing? Or am I mistaken?(
Speech | Matrix/Communication | Thought | Astral
“Forget hackers, I have my buddies Smith & Wesson: innovators of the point-and-click interface.”