NEWS

[6e] High Pain Tolerance

• 4 Replies

ammulder

• Newb
« on: <05-11-21/2202:32> »
Can you take the High Pain Tolerance quality "more than once" or "at a level higher than 1"?  Its writeup doesn't say you can, but one of the Archetypes did (for what little that might be worth) and I think you could take several levels of it in prior editions.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <05-12-21/0202:42> »
With a strict reading of the text as written it doesn't seem like it have levels anymore

Compare the title of the quality with titles that have levels, such as:
- Built Tough (1 to 4)
- Focused Concentration (1 to 3)
- Will to Live (1-3)
- Addiction (Substance, 1 to 6)
- Dependents (1 to 3)

...but for many many rules in SR6 I would suggest that you should read the rules as intended rather than as written.

The intention might be that Pain Tolerance still have 3 levels (like it did in previous edition).
High Pain Tolerance
Cost: 7 Karma per rating (max rating 3)

The intention might also be that this is a conscious change from previous edition and that it now only have one level.
High Pain Tolerance
Cost: 7 Karma

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <05-12-21/0911:21> »
I do believe that in this case, the RAW and RAI are in alignment.  It's the pregen that's out of whack.  Although, would it actually be problematic if it were purchaseable in levels? I don' t think so, so long as there were a cap on how many levels you could take.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

ammulder

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <05-12-21/0941:41> »
Yeah, I think it was only seeing it in that archetype that threw me.  Every other reading seems to be that you can only have it once in 6e.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #4 on: <05-12-21/1027:19> »
Yeah, unfortunately Archetypes are usually made before rule-finalization and not always updated.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!