NEWS

Shadowrun for Xbox 360

• 35 Replies

Krypter

• Newb
« Reply #30 on: <10-03-10/1509:21> »
Theoretically a computer is ideally suited to handle the mind-blowing details of running multi-dimensional operations simultaneously, but in reality the computer is programmed by very-fallible human programmers who have as much a handle on these things as you and I do. Especially when coders are brought to a project on short notice and they've never even played the game before. SR the vidyagame was designed by people who didn't play SR the tabletop and it shows.
"Degrade first the arts if you'd mankind degrade,
Hire idiots to paint with cold light and hot shade."
-WB

Lansdren

• Chummer
« Reply #31 on: <10-07-10/0327:47> »
In defense of the game (which I still jump onto every now and then) I think they were making something other then shadowrun but with similar ideas of magic then got told they were using shadowrun and it all got confused.
"Didnt anyone tell you as security school to geek the mage first?"  "I guess I will just have to educate you with a introduction to my boomstick"

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« Reply #32 on: <10-07-10/0408:58> »
Some of the artwork for the game I feel was pretty damn good....I mean the favelas setting was shadowrun to the core.  I feel they also drew elves a lot better than a lot people tend to draw  them in SR.....made them actually look pretty tough and diabolical....not that super good-looking sexy, giant ears look that so many elf-fetish people are rendering.  Then the street sammy native american black dude with the corn rows totally embodied the feel of SR....they got that right on!  The graphics for some of the magic also looked pretty damn cool, even if the spells are totally impossible by the rules of thaumaturgy in 2072....like teleportation.  I even feel the troll was pretty cool looking, but looked much more like the description Runners Companion gives for Minotaur troll metavariants....but they did a good job depicting the +1 armor bonus trolls get for having calcification deposits......so many drawings of trolls I see make them just look like giant orks with horns....and that's just lame.

There's just not too many good 3d renderings of many purely SR concepts.....most of the ones I have found could be either cyberpunk or SR...i.e. human's and tech....so I feel the Xbox game does contribute in the art department quite well....they found a good esthetic that fuses machine and magic in a way that feels right...not forced like a lot of Shadowrun art i've seen.  

That being said....it's basically the same as most mainstream attempts to market a complex fictional world....there's always some project manager who feels like they have their finger on the pulse of what's cool and what's not....so they feel like they have to "fix" the world so that it sells.  It's like Michael Bay with Transformers.  They really think that the public is too dumb to really handle too many things at once....which is totally false...the public is only dumb in that they flock to anything that is marketed well and will let things which aren't marketed well fly under the radar.  The Sega Genesis and the SNES games prove how cool a faithful SR game would be and the amount of money it made would only depend on how much it was marketed assuming that the story telling was good quality.
« Last Edit: <10-07-10/0411:53> by inca1980 »

hazmat the monstar

• Chummer
  • www.hazmatthemonstar.com
« Reply #33 on: <10-12-10/2201:28> »
That game was abhorrent to the long time shadowrun fan. I rented it and took it back an hour later. Like jack said, it's not even in the shadowrun timeline.

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« Reply #34 on: <10-13-10/0054:26> »
Ok, I just watched the Deus Ex Human Revolution trailer....and it makes me take back everything I said about the artwork for Shadowrun Xbox 360.....  Shadowrun needs the same treatment....same type of photo-realist artwork...same ambiance...not the lame cartoony shit.  I suck at drawing....otherwise i'd get right on it....but I feel that one of the reason's that shadowrun hasn't gotten a decent chance yet is because there's not enough good photo-realist art of shadowrun themes out there.

The Laughing Man

• Newb
« Reply #35 on: <11-11-10/0142:41> »
Too..                     Much...                                       Rage...                                                Over...

Horrible...                Game..           ...Must                          Destroy...            Microsoft....

..Explosives                        ...Plausible