NEWS

Knight Errant Standard Officer Loadouts

• 48 Replies

Ympulse

• Omae
« Reply #30 on: <07-28-12/0625:49> »
Upon further thought, the initially mentioned History Channel special thing could very well have been a "wish List" -type of thing, vice actual deployment of gear, since I know LAPD has been asking for dragonskin for a while.

FlyDog

• Newb
  • Hail to the King, baby!
« Reply #31 on: <07-28-12/1144:11> »
For your average beat cop here's the loadout I'd suggest.  Based on what the RCMP gave my old man.

-Ares Predator IV loaded with hollow points, two spare magazines.
-1 or 2 sets of plasteel restriants.
-I can of Pepper Punch
-Standard old Armour Vest from the main book.  Maybe some extra plating if the accountants are feeling generous.
-Mid tier commlink for all purpose evidence documentation and communication.
-Plastic gloves.
-Stun baton or collapsible baton.
-All important handcuff keys!
-Defiance Super Shocker for the odd person who needs to tase a bro.
-MAGLITE style flashlight, works great as a backup baton.
-DocWagon monitoring tied to commlink PAN.
-1 or 2 puffers of Jazz.

Then slap a mid-grade shotgun in the car (Remington 990 or Defiance T-250) and maybe have an Ares Alpha with the patrol supervisor's car for those times where you need some dakka and can't wait for SWAT.  I'm guessing the only grenades for the Alpha are CS or flashbangs.  Anything else wouldn't exactly safe for law-enforcement use, eh?
"Haven't met a problem yet that can't be solved with my Super Warhawk.  This includes long division."

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #32 on: <07-28-12/1304:16> »
Times like this, I really miss Lone Star being the Seattle cops instead of KE. They're better established and we had loadouts for everything already.

Should KE be more heavily armed than the Star? Less? More or less corrupt? More or les racist? How prepared are they?

If you just file off "Lone Star" from all the badges and Sharpie in "Knight Errant" and otherwise see no change, why do it?

(Sorry, an old bug for me ... change for change's sake is stupid. Nobody wants it. GROWTH, people want, change that's tied in with the world and what characters go through, sure, but just "Today, Batman will wear orange, whee!" is just silly.)

Admitedly, quite a few officers *did* just change the owner of their uniform and call it a day, but, it'd be nice to see different proceedures and the like laid out.

The old Lone Star loadout was:

Armored Jacket
Helmet
Heavy Pistol (The Thunderbolt, which had a BF mode in addition to SA)
2 spare clips
Taser
Club
Radio (Which would be a Commlink today, rating 3 most likely)

The car had the computer system (Which would be a stronger commlink with a MUCH higher signal (Say, Comm 4, signal 5), an SMG, riot shield, and some grenades (Flashbang, Smoke, and Defensive, two of each I think. I should grab the book.)

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #33 on: <07-28-12/1315:25> »
Alright, here we go Lone Star Sourcebook, Page 126 has officer loads for different troopers. The Auto Trooper (The 'default' officer) has:

Armored Vest with Plates (4/3), Helmet, Commlink (Radio back then), Ruger Super Warhawk w/ laser sight and 24 extra rounds (But no speed loader. Wonder if they existed in the rules then?), Stun Baton.

Foot Patrol officers have the same gear.

Fast Response Teams include a Smartlink and Wired 1 as standard augmentations, Full Heavy Armor with Helmet and Helmet COmmlink, Colt Manhunter Smartgun with 2 extra clips, HK227-S with smartlink and 2 extra clips, shock gloves, stun baton,  OR (Doesn't say what gets replaced, but) AUG-CSL Assault Rifle (Internal smartlink, thermo scope, 2 clips) OR CMDT/SM combat shotgun with internal smartlink and 3 spare clips OR MA 2100 Sniping Rifle with thermographic magnification scope.

(Yikes!)

It's noted that Lone Star invented Jazz to give troopers a chance against Cyber crooks, but no officer has it as a standard load back in '54. It's also noted that Lone Star's decker R&D invented the Black Hammer program, with Fastjack called out for helping create it.

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #34 on: <07-29-12/0539:15> »
(But no speed loader. Wonder if they existed in the rules then?)
They didn't. Not until 4th edition.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #35 on: <07-29-12/0801:32> »
(But no speed loader. Wonder if they existed in the rules then?)
They didn't. Not until 4th edition.

Call it yet another case of the guys writing the material having no real-world experience with the stuff they're writing about.

Speed loaders existed way before the 1980s "divergence point" when SR1 was published. Late 19th century, in fact, if memory serves. They just didn't know about them to put them in, or didn't think they'd be "useful".
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #36 on: <07-29-12/0942:43> »
Blame Hollywood for not showing them often enough. Shadowrun is far more movies' reality than our reality.

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #37 on: <07-29-12/1001:24> »
Blame Hollywood for not showing them often enough. Shadowrun is far more movies' reality than our reality.

Easy way to tell that: Clips are those things that you use on most modern pistols, SMGs, and automatic rifles,
 Magazines are those tubes for a Shotgun or an old repeating rifle. I know that what they call "clips" are
actually called "magazines"..I wonder what the shotgun/repeater thing is called?

Ympulse

• Omae
« Reply #38 on: <07-29-12/1021:08> »
.I wonder what the shotgun/repeater thing is called?
We just referred to it as "the tube" when we were issued Mossbergs in Iraq. "I've got 3 shots left in the tube"

(Edit) Upon minor Google-fu, it's apparently called a Magazine. Whee generic terms

http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/shotgun-parts.gif
« Last Edit: <07-29-12/1023:15> by Ympulse »

Mantis

• Omae
« Reply #39 on: <07-29-12/1503:07> »
Box magazine for the "clip " you would put in a pistol and internal magazine for the "tube" in a shotgun or repeater. Wikipedia has an article on it. A clip in proper use is actual a metal retaining clip used to insert rounds into a box magazine.

FlyDog

• Newb
« Reply #40 on: <07-29-12/1518:47> »
MAGAZINE-The place where the ammo hangs out until it gets to have a high speed sexy party.   
CLIP-Something that hold bullets together for certain firearms that makes reloading quicker.  Like a party bus, for bullets. (Moon clips for revolvers, stripper clips for drek like the M1 Garand.)
"Haven't met a problem yet that can't be solved with my Super Warhawk.  This includes long division."

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #41 on: <07-29-12/1522:39> »
MAGAZINE-The place where the ammo hangs out until it gets to have a high speed sexy party.   
CLIP-Something that hold bullets together for certain firearms that makes reloading quicker.  Like a party bus, for bullets. (Moon clips for revolvers, stripper clips for drek like the M1 Garand.)

Don't start this argument again... It serves no purpose.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

FlyDog

• Newb
« Reply #42 on: <07-29-12/1554:36> »
Oh frag....

Didn't know I was starting anything.  I'll give myself 40 whacks with the wet noodle, then.

Besides we're not here to talk gun terminology, we're here to establish the KE standard loadouts!

Simagal

• Chummer
  • Credo Quia Absurdum
« Reply #43 on: <07-29-12/1631:38> »
Putting six cops in one vehicle does not make business or law enforcement sense. They will have a limited number for a set district and assign them to cars or even foot patrol as needed. The main job is to give the SINners the the illusion of security. APCs show that trouble is coming.
Most of the Southern California law enforcement agencies have a list of approved firearms that they may purchase and carry on duty. Most of my LAPD friends would have mentioned the antitank rocket training. They have to get certification in any weapon they carry or might use (things like flash lights).
Andrew Grim

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #44 on: <07-30-12/0221:11> »
They have to get certification in any weapon they carry or might use (things like flash lights).

Ah, the 6D Maglite... so much "self-defense" potential, and it's not even legally considered a weapon. ;D
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me