NEWS

Knight Errant Standard Officer Loadouts

• 48 Replies

TheWanderingJewels

• Omae
« on: <07-23-12/0703:45> »
Looks like I'm going to be Running a Cop Shop campaign here soon and I need ideas or the standard kit that KE officers will be carrying. any feed back would be appreciated
Tech dreams of organic toys
And I'm runnin' out on the edge
Soft screams of the rockerboys
Echoing through my head

--Miracle Of Sound, City Of Night

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <07-23-12/0751:17> »
KE officers go heavier than Lone Star, as a general rule. SMG instead of pistol, armored jacket + helmet instead of vest, beatsticks (natch), backup sidearm, rating 4 comm, tricked-out helmet (Low light, flare comp, micro-tranceiver) ... They also travel in packs of six, rather than pairs. The truck (They always go in Citymasters, not Patrol Cars) also have riot shields and combat shotguns.

Much rougher, but also less common due to grouping, so easier to avoid.

(Edit)
Here we go. This is the pic I have in my head for KE officer troupes.

« Last Edit: <07-23-12/0753:17> by Wakshaani »

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #2 on: <07-23-12/0930:31> »
And if you don't have 6 players, the empty squad slots can be story ideas: maybe they lost some teammates and resist every attempt at replacing them; or maybe fill those spots with NPC drivers or IAB babysitters.

Make sure that gear loadout is all built my Ares or a subsidiary. Talk about embarassing, KE getting caught preferring LoneStar sidearms.

Mantis

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <07-25-12/1634:12> »
That's one way to load them out.
Keep in mind these are cops though, and their job is as much public service/customer service as it is scaring off bad guys. Loading up like they are going to a riot is no way to reassure the population that everything is fine. The image of peace and control is more important than actually having it since you can use spin to turn even the worst events to your advantage. Cops in SR should be responding with drones first, magic if that was reported and then a follow up with actual people. Outside of actual corporate security though, heavy pistols and armour jackets/helmets seem more reasonable. I can see them having an SMG and shotgun in the patrol car, but not as a standard carry around weapon.
Most stat blocks I've seen gear them out with the Jacket/helmet combo, an Ares Predator (of whatever vintage suits the time line), shock baton and a commlink of some sort. Don't forget incidentals, like cuffs or zapstraps/plastic restraints. This is the standard load out. Save the SMGs and APCs for an actual riot.
A few adventures stat them out, like Free Taiwan for example, if you want to check that out.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #4 on: <07-25-12/2014:14> »
...I can see them having an SMG and shotgun in the patrol car, but not as a standard carry around weapon. ...

If they're gonna have a "backup" gun in the car, they're not going to have "just" an SMG. It's more likely to be a full-blown Assault Rifle.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Mantis

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <07-26-12/0255:28> »
Sure, go with that.  :D My point was that they weren't likely to be packing SMGs as standard sidearm. I know in some jurisdictions, police carry assault rifles as the backup in the car today.
Basically I just don't see the cops that are on patrol being geared up as though they are going to assault some place. No need for it for one thing as a SWAT team is just a call away and they have the training to handle the heavy stuff. The other reason is expense. An Ares Predator is 350¥ and comes with a smartgun. Pop a smartlink into that helmet and you cut down on the chance a cop will hit a bystander. Cheap safety at 850 ¥.
Now an SMG is going to cost that much just on it's own. Never mind the mods and accessories needed to make sure it stays on target (recoil comp), the increased rate of ammo consumption and the PR nightmare of accidentally cutting down a crowd of people by accident if you cheap out on those mods. SMGs and larger guns make no sense for a patrol cop. They make no sense for a detective either. They are house clearing weapons and should be used by SWAT teams.
That's how I see it anyway. If you want your world to be that kind of nightmare, where the average citizen only feels safe if the cops are packing serious armour and guns and roam the streets in APCs, fly at it. Your game, your fun.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <07-26-12/0257:31> »
That's one way to load them out.
Keep in mind these are cops though, and their job is as much public service/customer service as it is scaring off bad guys. Loading up like they are going to a riot is no way to reassure the population that everything is fine. The image of peace and control is more important than actually having it since you can use spin to turn even the worst events to your advantage. Cops in SR should be responding with drones first, magic if that was reported and then a follow up with actual people. Outside of actual corporate security though, heavy pistols and armour jackets/helmets seem more reasonable. I can see them having an SMG and shotgun in the patrol car, but not as a standard carry around weapon.
Most stat blocks I've seen gear them out with the Jacket/helmet combo, an Ares Predator (of whatever vintage suits the time line), shock baton and a commlink of some sort. Don't forget incidentals, like cuffs or zapstraps/plastic restraints. This is the standard load out. Save the SMGs and APCs for an actual riot.
A few adventures stat them out, like Free Taiwan for example, if you want to check that out.

Wellll, if it was Lone Star, I'd agree with you. LS, for all the issues with bribery and corruption and racism and handiness with a club, they really *do* have some actual police officers in there who do good ol' fashioned crime-fighting and community service. Armored jackets + helmet, a cannon of a heavy pistol, but, they come in pairs, in a patrol car or on bikes, and they do decent public relations work.

KE comes from a military background first, a corporate security second, and police a distant, distant third. They're riot-breakers and soldiers who operate in units, not in pairs, and who react with overwhelming force, rather than negotiation. They have a whole different philosphy, the core of which is "People that are afraid to fight back are docile." They don't *want* to be nice as it takes away their edge.

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #7 on: <07-26-12/0330:51> »
Scaring the crap out of the Jane and John Does in the city will quickly get them to lose their precious new contract.
I agree, they'll be hardcore military once drek hits the fan; but they can't be patrolling the streets visibly equipped for heavy warfare.
The public won't feel safe. And while they will be too scared to fight back, they will push Mr. Mayor out of his office and vote for anyone who can get those safe-looking cops again.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <07-26-12/0512:23> »
Scaring the crap out of the Jane and John Does in the city will quickly get them to lose their precious new contract.
I agree, they'll be hardcore military once drek hits the fan; but they can't be patrolling the streets visibly equipped for heavy warfare.
The public won't feel safe. And while they will be too scared to fight back, they will push Mr. Mayor out of his office and vote for anyone who can get those safe-looking cops again.

In that vein, and working under the assumption that you need at least Body 3 to pass the Academy, I recommend this loadout:

Victory "Industrious" Jumpsuit* - 4/2
PPP Forearm Guards - +0/+1
PPP Shin Guards - +0/+1
PPP Helmet - +0/+2
Half FFBA - +4/+1 (+2/+0 Encumb)

That puts you at 8/7, (6/6 for Encumbrance) and nobody looking at you is going to see much more armor than you'd see on an NYPD beat cop.

*To represent a discretely armored BDU-style uniform.
― Albert Einstein

― Me

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <07-26-12/0556:29> »
I personally wouldn't worry too much if I see a cop wearing a Bulletproof Vest or something similar, certainly not if I know it's part of their standard gear.
But if I notice a squad of 6 "security personnel" in a armored vehicle, armed with automatic weapons and wearing ballistic masks, rolling down my street, I'd GTFO and feel quite unsafe.

Walks Through Walls

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <07-26-12/0626:43> »
Here is the load out they used in missions SRM4-06 Hard Target:

Gear: Armor jacket (8/6), helmet (+1/+1, with built-in mic, headset, and
smartlink), stun baton, commlink (Device Rating 5)
Weapons:
Ares Predator IV [Heavy Pistol, DV 5P, AP –5, SA, RC —, 15(c), w/ APDS
ammo]
Defiance EX Shocker [Pistol, DV 8S(e), AP –half, SS , RC —, 4(m)]
Stun baton [Club, Reach 1, DV 6S(e), AP –half]

Now it does vary depending on where they will be and what their primary objective is, but this gives a good reference in my opinion. Also I think there is another mission that has them armed a bit better, but didn't see it right off hand.
"Walking through walls isn't tough..... if you know where the doors are."
"It's not being seen that is the trick."

Walks Through Walls

TheWanderingJewels

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <07-26-12/0724:50> »
this looks good for standard cop

so KE uses fireteam tactics okay. So assuming things go to hell, what would a loadout for assault look like?

I've got a Giantess, a Troll, and a Ork in this so far. just seeing what we can come up with :)
Tech dreams of organic toys
And I'm runnin' out on the edge
Soft screams of the rockerboys
Echoing through my head

--Miracle Of Sound, City Of Night

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <07-26-12/0733:30> »
so KE uses fireteam tactics okay. So assuming things go to hell, what would a loadout for assault look like?

For things going "slightly" to hell, take a look at the SWAT armor from Arsenal.

For things going to hell in a hand basket, break out the Military Armor.
― Albert Einstein

― Me

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <07-26-12/1037:00> »
^ And drone, hacker and magical support.

Mantis

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <07-26-12/1602:26> »
For a go-to-hell situation, that is where they break out the bigger guns. Shotgun for entry team lead, SMGs or assault rifles for the rest, especially bullpup style rifles. Easier to handle indoors. Not sure I'd go to Milspec armour due to price. But certainly SWAT and ballistic shields if they would be useful. Also tear gas, flash bangs and smoke grenades. RFID marker bullets to clean up stragglers latter or the odd splash equipped grenade.
Since these guys are ex military, Ares Alphas seem a good idea as the weapon of choice for a go-to-hell situation. Bullpup and grenade launcher plus smartlink and some built in recoil comp to stay on target.
The other thing to remember is KE hired a bunch of LS guys when they took over the Seattle contract. So not every cop out there working KE is some former military bad ass. Lots of them are just cops with a new boss working the same old city.