NEWS

Importance of Edge

• 54 Replies

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #15 on: <11-19-10/1427:52> »
My characters usually have between 4 and 6 edge. I usually forget it's there just like I used to for Karma Pool. I generally roll well enough it's not a problem ;)
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <11-19-10/1454:50> »
Our group uses Edge regularly, and I'm pretty liberal about refreshing it. Except for special circumstances (like DotA2: Midnight), I refresh after every session, plus bonus points for cool stuff. We have a few characters that use Edge every few rolls, some who save it for emergencies.

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #17 on: <11-19-10/1821:22> »
Our group uses Edge regularly, and I'm pretty liberal about refreshing it. Except for special circumstances (like DotA2: Midnight), I refresh after every session, plus bonus points for cool stuff. We have a few characters that use Edge every few rolls, some who save it for emergencies.

We lifted the "Stunt Dice" concept from Exalted. You pull a really awesome description out of your ass, or come up with a great plan, then you get between 1 and 3 dice.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #18 on: <11-19-10/1901:36> »
That's already in the rules, i think. :P
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #19 on: <11-20-10/0321:43> »
Edge is like magic for mundanes, except that even awakened characters can use it.

Longshot rules particularly so.
It's so versatile.

You can use it to make sure a thing happens, like shooting a high-level spirit and making sure you get enough hits to bypass ItNW by rerolling failures, or you can just tack on an extra IP and kack those final couple of goons.

You need to show your players how using Edge offensively can prevent them from having to use it to save their asses.
Sometimes the "conservative" path is to walk into a room and make everyone's head explode in a shower of pink mist.

As to refreshes, I prefer 1 pt on every sun rise and for critical successes/failures.
« Last Edit: <11-20-10/0324:04> by Kontact »

AJBuwalda

• Chummer
« Reply #20 on: <11-21-10/0721:32> »
Edge is much like Faith Points in Dark Heresy. I always used them liberally because sometimes you just need to make that shot, climb that ridge and so on. It usually also makes for great role playing, giving opertunities for PCs to shine.
Greetings from the Netherlands, comrade!

Dakka

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <11-22-10/1711:26> »
Edge is the best stat for any Shadowrunner to have and I can't imagine why you would want less than near max.  It can apply to any roll, make things that are near impossible into merely unlikely, or let you do crazy things like soaking 2 grenades that landed at your feet with Body 5 and still being alive to tell the tale.  (Needed 2 edge for that one, but it was awesome.)

AJBuwalda

• Chummer
« Reply #22 on: <11-22-10/1746:35> »
Edge is the best stat for any Shadowrunner to have and I can't imagine why you would want less than near max.  It can apply to any roll, make things that are near impossible into merely unlikely, or let you do crazy things like soaking 2 grenades that landed at your feet with Body 5 and still being alive to tell the tale.  (Needed 2 edge for that one, but it was awesome.)
And you ended up looking like hamburger? ;D
Greetings from the Netherlands, comrade!

Dakka

• Omae
« Reply #23 on: <11-22-10/1849:15> »
One hit point is all you need my friend.  ;)

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #24 on: <11-22-10/1949:14> »
One hit point is all you need my friend.  ;)

Especially in Shadowrun - since there is nothing that can make you lose HP in this system.  ;) ;D
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

voydangel

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <11-22-10/2001:18> »
High-edge characters tend to throw it around a bit more, while the low-edge characters are a bit stingy with it. The real knocker is that, no matter what, most PCs should have that last point of edge saved to burn "just in case".

Quote from:  SR4A, pg. 75, Burning Edge
A character can choose to burn a point of Edge - permanently reducing his Edge attribute by 1 - for one of the following effects. . .

It's arguably an interpretation preference, but the way I read the above, they don't need a point of Current Edge to Burn a point of their Edge attribute. Just my 2¥.

I've thought of doing it this way as well, but since it's never come up in a game, I haven't needed to worry about how to interpret that rule yet.

I'm not sure on the Wild Dice idea. If you spend a point of Edge, all your dice explode. Ergo, if you put the wild dice in there, chances are players won't be spending any Edge at all because they probably won't need it.

Well, when you spend the Edge, if you spend it before you roll, you add the extra dice (in voyd's example, 4, for a total of 16) and ALL 16 dice can explode. Whereas, what voyd is suggesting is that even without spending Edge, a specific sub-set of your normal dice pool would always have a chance to explode, making your Edge stat (aka, Luck) more relevant roll to roll. So there's still an advantage (+4 dice, all 16 explodable) to spending the Edge. Even after the fact, you could add 4 more explodable dice to the roll if you don't like your luck.

While I don't think it's necessarily as big an impact as you might think and it does sound like a neat idea, I still probably wouldn't use it myself as I like the limited nature of the current Edge system. Also, I encourage my players to use multiple colors of dice to be able to efficiently roll several dice pools at once, so it'd make that aspect harder at my table.  :P

My main thought in this hypothetical house rule is that it would make people want to bother to buy more edge even if they were of the "stingy with character resources" type that has been mentioned, which I feel is a trend amongst most of the players I know. I don't feel it would weaken Edge point expenditures although I can see where this is a concern to be watched for. I think the idea for this house rule came to me when I was contemplating the optional rule for making the game more cinematic via making hits occur on 4s, 5s and 6s - which to me is way over the top. IMO, if that rule were used there would be almost no call for edge at all except for canceling glitches and hand of god stuff; all of its neat stuff would be ignored because of how easy tests would be. So I thought, "what if you could give the players an edge (no pun intended) without making the game ridiculously easy-sauce?" And that's when it popped in there that you could simultaneously make the game more cinematic via the "wild die" effect similar to SWd6, and make edge more important in the process, rather than making it more or less obsolete.  8)

Maybe I'll do a quickie game (like only 3 or 4 sessions) just to test this out. For Science!  :D
My tips for new GM's

Chaemera

• Omae
« Reply #26 on: <11-22-10/2005:18> »
Maybe I'll do a quickie game (like only 3 or 4 sessions) just to test this out. For Science!  :D

Heh, I'm lucky on that count, my players are usually pretty tolerant of the "let's try a house rule and see if it improves the game" idea. Even if it means having a hard time explaining in-character why something worked last week that doesn't work today. . .

voydangel

• Omae
« Reply #27 on: <11-23-10/2023:24> »
Friend of mine came over and he had a thought as to how to use the "wild die" rule but still make it a bit more balanced. In SWd6, if you roll a 1 on the wild die (on the first roll only) its a glitch. So, why not (when using the "wild die rule" in SR) make it so that if you roll any 1s on the wild dice (on the first roll only) they deduct (cancel out) other hits on the roll. This balances out the partial rule of 6 that's happening and simulates the possibility of bad luck...

thoughts?
My tips for new GM's

Chaemera

• Omae
« Reply #28 on: <11-23-10/2029:20> »
Just to poke a little fun, voyd, weren't you the guy asking about house rules for streamlining the game?

I don't know that this would slow down the game too much, but it would add an extra layer of work (count up hits, subtract hits for 1's on odd-colored dice, count total 1's to see if glitch. . . wait, how'd I end up with -1 hits? is that a critical-critical glitch?)

voydangel

• Omae
« Reply #29 on: <11-23-10/2034:08> »
This is true, I am he. This thread was more for fun than streamlining.  ;D
My tips for new GM's