NEWS

Help a newbie GM out

• 52 Replies

Belker

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • The Butcher
« Reply #30 on: <06-17-13/1359:53> »
Also on which page of 20th anniversary can i find the rules for AR hacker?

I believe the hacking rules in SR4A assume that the hacker is in AR by default. The benefits to being in VR are listed separately.

As far as the difference between hackers and deckers: it was a terminology change in the transition from 3rd edition to 4th edition that accompanied the removal of the requirement for dedicated cyberdecks for hacking. Functionally, they're the same thing in 4th edition: someone who uses hardware and programs to hack.

With 5th edition, the terminology has changed yet again, we're told. "Hackers" will now refer to anyone who cracks the Matrix, and are divided in to deckers (now that cyberdecks and not mere commlinks are required to hack) and technomancers.
"Dog says to always wear your seatbelts, kiddies."
Missions Freelancer (CMP 2015 - The Tennessee Suite 1-4)

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #31 on: <06-17-13/1551:05> »
Regular applications of a Professor character aside (send the crew on a run to secure a bunch of volatile artifacts, investigate a cult, approach or retrieve a scientist at a convention, help an illegal archaeological dig on Sinsearach turf that's being bothered by ghosts/monsters and lost their main researcher to traps), with high Logic and Intuition, there's a few ways to go besides hacking - with 5+ Logic, 6 BP/Karma (1 level + specialty) is enough to branch out into various useful assist-skills (8 dice means you can just buy 2 hits), like Armorer, Chemistry, Demolitions, any of the Mechanic skills... I'm not sure if you're allowed to 'break' a skill group by getting a Specialty on one of the skills, but if so, he could even get the entire Mechanic skill group for 10 BP/Karma, then take specialties whenever one might be important in the near future.

nikolamat

• Newb
« Reply #32 on: <06-17-13/1558:24> »
thanks for all the help. I think he'll like being an AR hacker, I'll ask him tomorrow.

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #33 on: <06-17-13/1613:54> »
AR means walking around and interacting with your google glass. VR means fully plugged in.
I know I'm not an idiot. I meant the advantages for AR and the advantages for VR what can I do with VR that I can't do with AR and vice versa?

A VR hacker is much faster in the matrix, and has bonuses to certain tasks. An AR hacker is bound to his or her physical init, but can interact with the real world. A primarily AR hacker should pay special attention to the rules for Agents as well.

nikolamat

• Newb
« Reply #34 on: <06-17-13/1622:56> »
is every rule in SR4 rulebook for hacking contained in Unwireds an idiots guide to the matrix, or do i have to read both? I'm kinda on a schedule I have to be done with the campaign and everything until the 25th and I haven't even completely read through the rulebook ( I haven't read the magic and matrix parts).

nikolamat

• Newb
« Reply #35 on: <06-17-13/1627:42> »
Also can AR hackers be technomancers or are tecnomancers exclusive to VR?

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #36 on: <06-17-13/1629:21> »
is every rule in SR4 rulebook for hacking contained in Unwireds an idiots guide to the matrix, or do i have to read both? I'm kinda on a schedule I have to be done with the campaign and everything until the 25th and I haven't even completely read through the rulebook ( I haven't read the magic and matrix parts).

The idiots guide is more of a conceptual framework and you should plan on reading the matrix rules separately (although you might read the idiot's guide first then the matrix rules after). Equally important is making sure that any player who wants to play a hacker, technomancer or rigger has read the matrix rules anfd the idiot's guide.

nikolamat

• Newb
« Reply #37 on: <06-17-13/1630:28> »
Also are the matrix qualities in Unwired exclusive to VR? Sorry for triple posting.

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #38 on: <06-17-13/1637:39> »
Also are the matrix qualities in Unwired exclusive to VR? Sorry for triple posting.

I think you're under a misapprehension. VR versus AR is a tactical choice not a build choice. Any hacker can use VR and any hacker can use AR. For a good idea of what an "AR hacker" might look like try watching BBCs Sherlock.

nikolamat

• Newb
« Reply #39 on: <06-17-13/1640:43> »

I think you're under a misapprehension. VR versus AR is a tactical choice not a build choice. Any hacker can use VR and any hacker can use AR. For a good idea of what an "AR hacker" might look like try watching BBCs Sherlock.
I've watched it and it's great but I ever noticed Sherlock wearing google glass :P. Although i know what you mean seeing text in augmented reality pop up on certain objects maybe even video or audio.

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #40 on: <06-17-13/1642:20> »
I've watched it and it's great but I ever noticed Sherlock wearing google glass :P. Although i know what you mean seeing text in augmented reality pop up on certain objects maybe even video or audio.

He doesn't but the scenes where he's sorting data are a good example of what it would look like.

nikolamat

• Newb
« Reply #41 on: <06-18-13/1355:22> »
Also can you raise attributes above the cap after character creation? Let's say I'm playing a human Hacker and I have a logic of 6. Could I raise it with karma and without getting augmentations? and if so can I also raise it with karma above 9? even if i have augmentations? If I can't raise it with karma is there any other way? Also what's surge?
« Last Edit: <06-18-13/1405:38> by nikolamat »

bannockburn

• Chummer
  • BGMfH
« Reply #42 on: <06-18-13/1411:10> »
Also can you raise attributes above the cap after character creation? Let's say I'm playing a human Hacker and I have a logic of 6. Could I raise it with karma and without getting augmentations? and if so can I also raise it with karma above 9? even if i have augmentations? If I can't raise it with karma is there any other way? Also what's surge?

In order:
Q: Can you raise attributes above the cap after character creation?
A: Yes, with Augmentations or Spells

Q: Could you raise it with Karma above 6?
A: No, but if the GM allows it, the player could buy exceptional attribute as a quality and then raise it with Karma to 7

Q: Raise above 9?
A: No, not even with Augmentations or spells, most certainly not with Karma. Racial Maximum x 1,5 (round down) is the absolute maximum, and you can't go over it. You also can't go over the racial maximum with Karma

Q: What is SURGE?
A: It's shorthand for SUdden Recessive Genetic Expression. In short, mutations. There are multiple qualities available to modify a character with cat ears, satyr legs and other strange features. Full rules are in Runner's Companion
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup
http://bannockburn1981.deviantart.com/

nikolamat

• Newb
« Reply #43 on: <06-18-13/1415:26> »

In order:
Q: Can you raise attributes above the cap after character creation?
A: Yes, with Augmentations or Spells

Q: Could you raise it with Karma above 6?
A: No, but if the GM allows it, the player could buy exceptional attribute as a quality and then raise it with Karma to 7

Q: Raise above 9?
A: No, not even with Augmentations or spells, most certainly not with Karma. Racial Maximum x 1,5 (round down) is the absolute maximum, and you can't go over it. You also can't go over the racial maximum with Karma

Q: What is SURGE?
A: It's shorthand for SUdden Recessive Genetic Expression. In short, mutations. There are multiple qualities available to modify a character with cat ears, satyr legs and other strange features. Full rules are in Runner's Companion
Thanks one of my players insisted on it being possible having a character with 13 logic (he saw a purely hypothetical post on what a character with 13 logic would act like) and there was no way I could change his mind. Maybe this will help:P.

nikolamat

• Newb
« Reply #44 on: <06-18-13/1417:53> »
Also I've read that the Matrix system in 4e is broken. Is that really true? Should I use a houseruled system? I haven't read it yet and plan to soon, but there is no point in reading it if it's really that broken as they say.