NEWS

5e cowboy style gunslinger

• 29 Replies

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <03-25-15/1352:43> »
My reading is that the data from the smartgun system requires some means of being displayed (as opposed to earlier editions in which a dedicated image link was included).  The method of display can be either DNI (through the normal means) or a wired image link (eqv.).
The smartgun features are accessed either by universal access port cable to an imaging device (like glasses, goggles, or a datajack for someone with cybereyes) or by a wireless connection working in concert with direct neural interface.

Either/or emphasis added--there is no qualitative distinction made between the methods in the text.

Important distinction: displaying data is different than collecting data.  Stuff in the wireless bonus block is its own little island.

To collect enough data to merit a +dice bonus to your attack roll, your smartgun system has to be operating with wireless on.  Just because it's wireless on doesn't mean you're forced to use the wireless method of sending data to your display.  The data are in your gun, but they can take whatever path you want to get into your field of vision.  I can plug my phone into my computer and still use the phone's WiFi, for example.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

ZeldaBravo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <03-25-15/1428:26> »
That's right, you can just put a smartlink to an imaging device, which meat eyes are not.
*I have problems with clarifying my point in English, so sometimes I might sound stupid or rude.*

ProfGast

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <03-25-15/1442:40> »
That's right, you can just put a smartlink to an imaging device, which meat eyes are not.
*Unless said meat eyes are augmented with a cyberware smartlink.

Danny Montanny

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <03-25-15/1611:49> »
The Smartlink is the display device. The Smartgun system and Smartlink need to be connected somehow to gain the benefits. Either wired or wireless with DNI. To get the dice bonus on the attack you must also be using a wireless Smartlink along with the Smartgun system having wireless on.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <03-25-15/1616:47> »
I certainly see where you're coming from, but the text reads (snipped for clarity)
the smartgun features are accessed by universal access port cable to an imaging device

Not some features, or most features, but features.  If I have something from the list, I have access to its features.  What those features are depends on whether or not I have wireless enabled, but that's a distinct question.

ZeldaBravo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <03-25-15/1618:42> »
@ProfGast: The meat is not a device in any way. You cannot plug a cord into your meat eye. Well, you could but that would be extremely painful.
@Danny Montanny: An implanted smartlink is not a visual (imaging) device, it is a vision enhancement and/or a retinal modification.
« Last Edit: <03-25-15/1627:22> by ZeldaBravo »
*I have problems with clarifying my point in English, so sometimes I might sound stupid or rude.*

Danny Montanny

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <03-25-15/1649:48> »
Quote from: CRB p. 454
Eyeware chart, under Device: Smartlink
So... an implanted Smartlink is in fact a device. It's a version of the vision enhancement, not the same thing as just an enhancement to an imaging device (since your natural eyes aren't an imaging device). You can't attach a cord to your eye directly, but you could attach it directly into your nervous system (the same one that the implanted Smarlink is attached to) by a datajack the same way it would connect to your Cybereyes.

I certainly see where you're coming from, but the text reads (snipped for clarity)
the smartgun features are accessed by universal access port cable to an imaging device
Not some features, or most features, but features.  If I have something from the list, I have access to its features.  What those features are depends on whether or not I have wireless enabled, but that's a distinct question.

I'll return with this snipped.
Quote from: CRB p. 433
Smartgun system: This connects a firearm or a projectile weapon directly to the user’s smartlink.
It's the first thing that's stated about the device. Are you implying that you can use it's features by attaching it to an imaging device without a Smarlink?

ZeldaBravo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #22 on: <03-25-15/1700:39> »
You can't attach a cord to your eye directly, but you could attach it directly into your nervous system (the same one that the implanted Smarlink is attached to) by a datajack
That was my point all this time, I'm glad we agree on that.
And by the way:
Quote from: SR 5e CRB p. 444:
VISION ENHANCEMENTS
ENHANCEMENT
Smartlink
Quote from: SR 5e CRB p. 453:
Most cybereye modifications are also offered as retinal modifications to the natural eye.
<...>
Smartlink: An implanted version of the smartlink vision enhancement (p. 444).
Just saying.
« Last Edit: <03-25-15/1716:29> by ZeldaBravo »

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <03-25-15/1707:47> »
Not at all.  And I'll certainly concede that the writings about smartgun systems scattered throughout the core book aren't as clear as they might be--different GMs will think about them differently.

So we have:
The smartgun features are accessed either by universal access port cable to an imaging device (like glasses, goggles, or a datajack for someone with cybereyes) or by a wireless connection working in concert with direct neural interface.

This is slightly problematic from the get-go since you don't actually need the cybereyes to go along with the datajack.  A datajack by itself grants you DNI.  But if we ignore that, this suggests that if you have a smartgun system, you need in addition to the system some way of seeing the data it generates.  The way can be either wires and an imaging device or DNI.  It's totally reasonable to add smartlink to that list--I'm sure most GMs do.  And remember, my point is that the gunslinger doesn't need a datajack, so I'm all for finding ways of making him work without one, but to do that I sometimes have to forgo "reasonable GMs will say" for "what the book says happens."

It's also worth remembering the distinction between things being wireless (everything is) and things having wireless bonuses.  Your smartlink is wireless, even though it doesn't have a wireless bonus, that's the smartgun system.  The two can communicate to one another without a problem sans wires.  The question is how do we insert a (meta)human into the equation?  He can either have DNI and participate in the wireless communication already going on or he can plug a wire into one of the devices (preferably not the one in his eye) and get a data read out with an imaging device.

ZeldaBravo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #24 on: <03-25-15/1741:12> »
Okay, the smartgun system needs the following stuff to work:
A smartgun, an imaging device (or a retinal mod), and:
1. A wire to the device for a wired connection (we can't do that unless we have smartlink glasses or a datajack);
2. A DNI and a wireless on for wireless connection.
You can get DNI with:
1. Trodes;
2. Implanted commlink;
3. Implanted cyberdeck;
4. Implanted datajack.

Friendly reminder that a force 1 Qi focus for Nimble Fingers costs ¥3000 and 2 karma to bind while a reflex recorder costs ¥12000. It is probably worth it if we get smartlink glasses instead of an implanted smartlink though.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #25 on: <03-25-15/1807:30> »
I think that nicely distills our different approaches.  My take on the wireless bonus looks exclusively at the text box under wireless bonus.  It's essentially two yes/no questions: Did you pay Essence?  Is the smartgun system's wireless turned on? 

I don't infer that a wireless "on" system requires DNI to accompany it, although I can certainly see why someone would.  As always, it's best to check with your GM.

Danny Montanny

• Omae
« Reply #26 on: <03-25-15/1825:38> »
The system needs these 3 things to work:
1. Smartgun system.
2. Smartlink.
3. A means to connect the two.

The Smartgun collects the data, sends it out through the connection, then the Smartlink displays the data in your field of vision.

1. The Smartgun is the transmitting end of the system, and can be installed externally or internally on a firearm or projectile weapon. It has all the whizz-bang features as detailed on p. 433 of the CRB.
2. The Smartlink is the recieving end of the system. Without it, the Smartgun is just transmitting data without a means to view it, and no way to access it's features. It is detailed on p. 444 of the CRB. It can be an enhancement to an imaging device, implanted directly into your eyes, or as a part of a Cubereye system.
3. To connect the system you can use a cable or wirelessly in conjunction with a DNI. The cable can be connected to the imaging device that the Smartlink is installed on, or directly into your nervous system through the connection of a DNI.

How you can mentally control the device with a cable connected to just some glasses is beyond me, though. Eye movement, perhaps?

adzling

« Reply #27 on: <03-26-15/1848:01> »
ok so here's my reco for you.

Take two ruger super warhawks with smartlinks and custom grips.

For one of your adept powers choose Nimble Fingers (0.25pp).

In our group we permit Nimble Fingers to allow you to select which chamber of the revolver you wish to fire.

This allows a revolver wielding attacker to choose which ammo he fires almost every time.

Which is really cool because you can load those two revolvers with a mix of APDS (armored opponents), Gel (non-lethal), stick and shock (drones), tracer (cars and people running away) or WTF you like.

Basically it turns your weapon into something that resembles a lawgiver from Judge Dredd.

You may lost out on sheer killing power (a little) but your utility goes way up.

And it's hecka cool!

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #28 on: <04-08-15/1844:27> »
Do you get to "mix loads" in SR?
I mean, I've wanted to before.
But I've never seen anything that lets you mix loads in a clip, magazine, drum, revolver, or even a break action double barrel shotgun.
How is that then handled when you burst fire?

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #29 on: <04-08-15/2124:16> »
In 5e the only thing you can mix is tracer rounds.  Having said that, back in 4e there was a gunmod that allowed revolvers to select a specific round for each shot, which was immensely handy, especially when combined with increased capacity.  It would totally be a houserule, but I'd allow a smartlinked SS revolver to have that function (it would have to be SS though).