NEWS

Custom Traditions

• 6 Replies

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« on: <11-10-14/1857:00> »
Okay, its not a character, but, I've been working on a couple ideas for custom traditions.

Figured I'd get some input.

Option #1  Gaea (Terra) worship for lack of a better term

Kind of a derivative of Wicca &/or Druidism.

Spirits:  Combines the 4 Elements with Plant
Combat - Fire
Detection - Air
Healing - Plant
Illusion - Water
Manipulation - Earth

Drain - Intuition

Possession - No

Option #2 - Ancestor Worship

Kind of close to Vodou in stats but different in background

Spirits:  Combines the 4 "human" type spirits w/ Animal/Beast
Combat - Guardian
Detection - Beast
Healing - Guidance
Illusion - Man
Manipulation - Task

Drain - Charisma

Possession - No

(Possible shift to Detection-Guidance,  Healing-Man,  Illusion-Beast ?)

What do you think ?

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <11-11-14/0207:37> »
Do you just want to have some templates for combination of spirits with drain attribute x?
Because I'd have trouble sorting those traditions anywhere backgroundwise. Ancestor worship is done in many traditions, but not as the only concept (e.g. Shamanism).

If you change only one aspect (one spirit) you could flavor it as a subsect or regional speciality and be done with it.
Because technically you'd have problems finding foci and spell formulae for other traditions. Magic is still supposed to be rare and people that are able to craft foci can only be a subset of those. Try now dividing these into even more traditions and you can raise the availability values for magical supplies by 5 to 10.

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <11-11-14/0233:37> »
I think with Ancestor Worship he was going for all humanoid spirits (plus the Spirits of Beasts to round it out) representing the caster's ancestral spirits (and their dog :D)

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <11-11-14/0322:24> »
And if the mage happens to stem from a line of working class people who all hated animals, he'll be only able to summon task spirits?

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <11-11-14/0340:47> »
And if the mage happens to stem from a line of working class people who all hated animals, he'll be only able to summon task spirits?
At this point in history I'm pretty sure it's impossible to find someone who doesn't have at least one warrior in their ancestry.

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <11-13-14/2228:58> »
Do you just want to have some templates for combination of spirits with drain attribute x?
Because I'd have trouble sorting those traditions anywhere backgroundwise. Ancestor worship is done in many traditions, but not as the only concept (e.g. Shamanism).

If you change only one aspect (one spirit) you could flavor it as a subsect or regional speciality and be done with it.
Because technically you'd have problems finding foci and spell formulae for other traditions. Magic is still supposed to be rare and people that are able to craft foci can only be a subset of those. Try now dividing these into even more traditions and you can raise the availability values for magical supplies by 5 to 10. 

Well after I was designing it I noticed that the Gaea one is basically the exact same as the Female Wicca tradition but with Air/Water positions flipped.  And the way I pictured it, worshiping "Mother Earth" was basically a Druidic, Nature, Wiccan type feel.
I think since Wicca mentions that it has many different lineages that I'll chalk that one up to a variant line of Wicca.

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <11-13-14/2238:21> »

At this point in history I'm pretty sure it's impossible to find someone who doesn't have at least one warrior in their ancestry.

And more importantly, not every working class person has to be represented as a Task spirit.
A strong father who raised & protected a big family might appear as a Guardian.  A wise grandma could appear as a Guidance spirit.  Etc etc.
I was more looking at their "role" in the family as opposed to their actual job.

Another way I'm thinking of this one is possibly as a "Psychic Medium" / "I see dead people"  type caster, someone who calls on the ghosts of the dead as opposed to an actual religion.    Thoughts?