NEWS

SR5 Norse Mage/Decker

• 6 Replies

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« on: <10-27-14/0051:21> »
Tried to make a decker/mage who focuses more on spirits than spells. Not too sure about his skills at all.
A figured that Raven (as Loki) could become his mentor spirit once there are enough points.

NOT for Missions

Critique is welcome and hoped for ^^

Lokekid

Lokekid is a young man of Scandinavian descent who grew up in the Scandinavian ghetto in Minneapolis. The elders of the community said he has been touched by Loki as that was the only way to explain why the young boy gifted by magic of the gods would attempt to ignore it to dwell in the world of the matrix.
The elders suspected that the God of mischief had a huge influence in the boy's life, trying to keep him out of the electronic world and keep him in the magical. The boy continued to try and rebel about the God's machinations, but doing so causing him all kinds of mishaps until he tipped the line again.
The struggle continued throughout his young life, taking him in and out of the business of gangs of both worlds and into a BTL addiction to block out the persistent voice of his God. However at some point the two seemed to have come to an agreement and the mischief died down. Rumors had it that the boy would attempt to get access to secrets in the electronic world and use them to cause mischief in the material world.
This lead the young man into the shadows of Minneapolis and lately took him to the shadows of Seattle. Here he will be trying to make a name for himself by using his twin talents.

Lokekid is a big man and stands 1,90 tall. Good physique and despite his lifestyle works out often. Has a number of Nordic inspired tattoos including a raven and a wolf on each side of his scalp. Both sides of his head is shaved, the rest of his redish brown hair is kept in short spikes.

Priorities
A - Attributes B - Magic C - Skills D - Resources E - Race

Statistics
Race: Human (UCAS born - Minneapolis)
Body:4 Agility:3 Reaction:2 Strength:4 Willpower:5 Logic:7 Intuition:4 Charisma:3 Edge:2 Esssence: 5,6 Magic: 4 (+1 from Race Priority)
Ini (Meat) 6+d6, Ini (Jumped in, Cold/Hot): (4+DP)+3d6/4d6
Limits: Physical: 6, Mental: 8, Social: 6
Dodge Pool: 6 Soak Pool (Body+Armor): 16 Drain Pool: 12

Qualities: 
Codeslinger (Hack-on-the-fly), Exceptional Attribute (Logic), Magician (Norse), Allergy - common/mild (sunlight), Bad Rep (pursued by unluck, causing runs to fail), Addiction - Mild (BTL)

Skills:
Active: Athletics group 2, Pistols 3, Sneaking 1, Perception 2, Computer 4, Cybercombat 3, Electronic Warfare 4, Hacking 6, Hardware 1, Software 3, Con 3, Spellcasting 4, Summoning 6

Knowledge: mischievous spirits 3, matrix security 4, matrix rumormill 3, Safehouses 3, magical conspiracy theories 4, vice dealers 2, Norse Sagas 3

Spells:
Heal, Ice Spear, Chill, Mist, Control Thoughts, Swarm

Implants:
Datajack, Lowlight Vision, Smartlink

Gear
Silver Credstick (¥460+start), Concealable holster, Squatter lifestyle, Armor Jacket, Metalink Commlink, Microdeck Summit CD (4,3,3,1), All Common programs, Hacking Programs (Armor, Decryption, Exploit, Sneak)

Weapons
Savalette Guardian w/ Recoil Compensation III

Ammunition
Heavy pistol - Regular (120)

Contacts:
Fixer (L1, C6)
Taxi Driver (L1, C1)

Karma Usage (Karma left: 2)
Nuyen (¥20,000), Skills: (Perception, Sneaking, Hacking)
« Last Edit: <10-28-14/0337:37> by PiXeL01 »
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <10-28-14/0338:52> »
Did a little editing.

While I mentioned he wasn't for missions what would you change if he should be mission worthy then?

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <10-28-14/0832:07> »
It seems missions legal to me so far. You'll need a reason to be in Chicago but meh.

As for other things!

Losing a point of essence for datajack, LLV and smartlink seems a bit of a waste. You can get most of the same thing with trodes and contacts - the bonus from Smartlink will be less, but your Magic is worth more than a +1 to pistol shots.

Your Karma expenditure is a bit unclear. I'm assuming you bought up Hardware instead of Hacking? Otherwise, well, don't buy a skill up to 6 with karma. You're going to have to pick up Arcana sooner or later (for initiations) but I guess it's not essential to do that now. Generally though you seem a bit spread out. It's best to focus on less - drop, say, software, con, hardware - and buy some skills up to 6 instead. Maybe get some specializations (summoning, for example, into your combat type. You're not the best combatant, but you can easily summon a force 5 spirit to protect you).

Lifestyle has an effect on matrix access. I'm not even sure if you get it at all with Squatter. Shelling out for at least Low isn't a bad choice, and it's not something you have to do at chargen (you can jump onto other grids with a Hacking test).

You should look into getting a Power Focus after you start playing, probably.

8-bit

« Reply #3 on: <10-28-14/1123:31> »
Everyone gets "access" to the Matrix, the public grid at least. Middle Lifestyle is required for a local grid without having to hack one.

Although this isn't about Missions, I might recommend trying to get the Increase Logic, and Increase Reflexes spells at some point. That way you can have a Logic of 11 and probably be able to hack from AR quite easily.

Also, a 1/1 Contact is fairly useless. I might recommend bumping down the Fixer to 4/1 and getting a 3/1 or 2/2 Contact instead. Possibly a Talismonger/Talislegger.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #4 on: <10-28-14/1139:39> »
Only change I'd make for Missions is switching the 6/1 contact for a named 5/2 contact, so you can get loyalty gains (and losses). Since they buy hits there's no difference for Availability 15- gear, and if you end up at 5/4 it's only +50% for 16 dice for 19- gear, and +150% for 20 dice. A 6/1 contact would require 25% more.

You'd also have to ditch Bad Rep, since it's on the banned list. The Allergy is easy enough to arrange for a GM, so would be legal, and the Addiction would be allowed and cost you money over time.

As for Control Thoughts, you should just read up on the section about Mental Manipulation in the Missions FAQ. Use with care.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <10-28-14/1205:39> »
You'd also have to ditch Bad Rep, since it's on the banned list. The Allergy is easy enough to arrange for a GM, so would be legal, and the Addiction would be allowed and cost you money over time.
Wasn't that Bad Luck before? (The post was edited). But yes, no Bad Rep.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <10-29-14/0134:28> »
How's this then? Magic is hurting but more skills to toy with. He would seriously need a power focus and fast, also more spells could be nice. When toying with skills I thought about a spec for Spellcasting but couldn't really settle on anything.

After reading the faq I Thinking of changing chill with control thoughts again. I know that the spell especially if considering missions is frowned upon but I thought of starting fights with it (making one guardsman his partner stole his lunch or slept with his wife / he's pretty sure there will be a fire drill so gates etc must be unlocked ...)

Lokekid

Lokekid is a young man of Scandinavian descent who grew up in the Scandinavian ghetto in Minneapolis. The elders of the community said he has been touched by Loki as that was the only way to explain why the young boy gifted by magic of the gods would attempt to ignore it to dwell in the world of the matrix.
The elders suspected that the God of mischief had a huge influence in the boy's life, trying to keep him out of the electronic world and keep him in the magical. The boy continued to try and rebel about the God's machinations, but doing so causing him all kinds of mishaps until he tipped the line again.
The struggle continued throughout his young life, taking him in and out of the business of gangs of both worlds and into various forms og addiction to block out the persistent voice of his God. However at some point the two seemed to have come to an agreement and the mischief died down. Rumors had it that the boy would attempt to get access to secrets in the electronic world and use them to cause mischief in the material world.
This lead the young man into the shadows of Minneapolis and lately took him to the shadows of Seattle and Chicago. Here he will be trying to make a name for himself by using his twin talents.

Lokekid is a big man and stands 1,90 tall. Good physique and despite his lifestyle works out often. Has a number of Nordic inspired tattoos including a raven and a wolf on each side of his scalp. Both sides of his head is shaved, the rest of his redish brown hair is kept in short spikes.

Priorities
A - Skills (46/10) B - Attributes (20) C - Magic D - Resources E - Race

Statistics
Race: Human (UCAS born - Minneapolis)
Body:3 Agility:2 Reaction:2 Strength:2 Willpower:5 Logic:7 Intuition:4 Charisma:3 Edge:2 Esssence: 5,6 Magic: 3 (+1 from Race)
Ini (Meat) 6+d6, Ini (Jumped in, Cold/Hot): (4+DP)+3d6/4d6
Limits: Physical: 3, Mental: 8, Social: 6
Dodge Pool: 6 Soak Pool (Body+Armor): 16 Drain Pool: 12

Qualities: 
Codeslinger (Hack-on-the-fly), Exceptional Attribute (Logic), Magician (Norse), Mentor Spirit Loki aka Raven) [for karma], Allergy - Common/Mild (Sunlight), Bad Luck

Skills:
Active: Cracking group 6, Electronics group 4, Summoning (Guardian) 6 (8), Spellcasting 6, Pistol (Semi-Automatics) 5 (7), Club (Batons) 4 (6), Con 4, Perception 4, Arcane 2, Counterspelling 4, Gymnastics 2, Running 2, Sneaking 2

Knowledge: mischievous spirits 3, matrix security 4, matrix rumormill 3, Safehouses 3, magical conspiracy theories 4, Vice Dealers 2, Norse Sagas 3, English N

Spells:
Heal, Ice Spear, Chill, Mist, Swarm

Implants:
Datajack, Lowlight Vision, Smartlink

Gear
Silver Credstick (¥460+start), Concealable holster, Squatter lifestyle, Armor Jacket, Metalink Commlink, Microdeck Summit CD (4,3,3,1), All Common programs, Hacking Programs (Armor, Decryption, Exploit, Sneak)

Weapons
Savalette Guardian w/ Recoil Compensation III

Ammunition
Heavy pistol - Regular (120)

Contacts:
Fixer (L2, C5)
Talismonger (L2, C2)

Karma Usage (Karma left: 0)
Nuyen (¥20,000), Mentor Spirit, Contact