NEWS

Trying my hand at making a Decker, how did I do?

• 25 Replies

8-bit

« Reply #15 on: <08-26-14/1138:33> »
You are right about perception, your sensors will do the same job. And you can have both logic and willpower at 6 if you want. Otherwise moving a point of willpower to logic is a good idea.
If you want to get some bioware then get it used, minor essence hit for a huge discount. Get a datajack too, they are really good.

The only bioware that I can get used are the Platelet Factories. Everything else is Cultured, which in my mind is impossible to get used, since it is grown specifically for it's host (aka you). I think a lot of people would agree with that. I already have a datajack in my main post. I'll drop the perception, but how should I configure the sensors? Do I get rating 6 with a bunch of stuff? I'm assuming it will cost a bunch, but I do have some excess cash. Do I drop the cybereyes if I do this? Where do the sensors go, on my Clothes?

Is the CHA 1 important for your idea of the character? Personally, I don't like "dumping" any stat to 1, but that's just preference. You don't really need the 3 in STR, so maybe swap a point so both are 2/2? Will free some contact karma, too.

Also, while LOG is really important for you, INT is very important, too (for Matrix Search / Perception / Defense) but can't be pushed by augmentations. I'd put the 6 into INT and have WIL and LOG at 5 with cerebral boosters.

While I tend to not like having a Charisma of 1, I'm working with Priority D for Attributes here. So, out of all the stats, Charisma is a little lower on my list. It does help kind of give him the loner feeling who spends most of his time on the Matrix.

Also, I agree that Intuition is very important, but I think 5 is enough for now. Logic is honestly used more. I should point out that Defense uses Willpower, not Intuition.

ZeldaBravo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <08-26-14/1308:44> »
Sorry, I meant the bioware ON TOP of what you have. I agree that cultured bioware can't be bought used.
Sensors usually go to the helmet or you can use a handheld scanner (or both). You might also want to buy a spy drone to be on a lookout or to scout ahead. They are pretty cheap and can be controlled via AR/commlink. Cybereyes are purely your choice, I'd keep them.
*I have problems with clarifying my point in English, so sometimes I might sound stupid or rude.*

prionic6

• Chummer
« Reply #17 on: <08-26-14/1354:31> »
I should point out that Defense uses Willpower, not Intuition.

Depends on the action. Hack on the Fly is defended with INT for example.

8-bit

« Reply #18 on: <08-26-14/1400:04> »
Sorry, I meant the bioware ON TOP of what you have. I agree that cultured bioware can't be bought used.
Sensors usually go to the helmet or you can use a handheld scanner (or both). You might also want to buy a spy drone to be on a lookout or to scout ahead. They are pretty cheap and can be controlled via AR/commlink. Cybereyes are purely your choice, I'd keep them.

No problem, just a little miscommunication. In terms of sensors, does this replace my normal vision? Like, how does my using Electronic Warfare help me perceive stuff, since I'm not jumped into a device (unless I wanna shell out a little bit for a control rig). I do like the Cybereyes though, so I'll keep them.

I should point out that Defense uses Willpower, not Intuition.

Depends on the action. Hack on the Fly is defended with INT for example.

Ah, well it makes sense because it's how perceptive you are of someone trying to stealthily hack you. However, your point is made, but it just goes to show you need all 3 (Willpower, Intuition, and Logic). Working from a limited attribute pool, I think I'll stick to maxing out Logic.

Once I get all my purchases done, I'll edit the first post with the changes I've made.

prionic6

• Chummer
« Reply #19 on: <08-26-14/1424:10> »
My decker is actually pretty similar in most areas to yours, far less optimized, though... I love throwing 18 dice (with Codeslinger & Hot Sim) for Hack on the Fly but I'm always sad when I have to do Matrix Perception with "just" 11 dice.

ZeldaBravo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <08-26-14/1528:05> »
In terms of sensors, does this replace my normal vision? Like, how does my using Electronic Warfare help me perceive stuff, since I'm not jumped into a device (unless I wanna shell out a little bit for a control rig). I do like the Cybereyes though, so I'll keep them.
They don't replace your vision but augment it just like the smartlink does. You'll get a little radar at the corner of your vision for motion detector, a microphone will show you where the sound comes from, camera will highlight detected stuff, MAD scanner will put an ARO on detected ware or a gun, etc., etc. Imagine living in the first person shooter game.
*I have problems with clarifying my point in English, so sometimes I might sound stupid or rude.*

8-bit

« Reply #21 on: <08-26-14/2117:20> »
Updated the first post with the changes. The changes are in bold, but I'll list them down here for easy reference. I took some liberties with the sensor array, as it doesn't technically list putting sensors into armor. However, it does list that Sensor Arrays take up a Capacity of 6, so I put them in my Armor Jacket. I also put them at Rating 5, as the book lists that Cyberlimbs can take Rating 5 Sensor Arrays, and an Armor Jacket is about the same size.

Skills B
Resources A

Agility 3 (4)
Reaction 2 (4)
Willpower 5
Logic 6 (8)
Essence 4.16

Initiative - 11 + 1d6
Matrix Initiative (AR) - 11 + 1d6

Physical Limit - 5
Mental Limit - 9
Social Limit - 4

Electronics 5
Cybercombat 6 (+2 Devices)
Electronic Warfare 6 (+2 Sensor Operations)
Hacking 6 (+2 Devices)
Longarms 6 (+2 Shotguns)
Con 6 (+2 Fast Talk)

Rating 2 Cerebral Boosters - 63,000 nuyen
2 Rating 4 Fake SINs - 20,000 nuyen
3 Rating 4 Fake Licenses (Cyberdeck) - 2,400 nuyen
Platelet Factories - 17,000 nuyen
Alphaware Rating 2 Reaction Enhancers - 31,200 nuyen
Rating 1 Muscle Toner - 32,000 nuyen

Armor Jacket w/ Nonconductivity 4, Sensor Array Rating 5 - 12,050 nuyen
Sensor Array Contains: Capacity 5 Camera w/ Low-light Vision, Thermographic Vision, Vision Magnification, Vision Enhancement 2; Laser Range Finder; Motion Sensor; Rating 5 Radio Signal Scanner; Ultrasound; Capacity 3 Laser Microphone w/ Audio Enhancement 3; Olfactory Sensor; Atmosphere Sensor

Again, to everyone thanks for your advice. I've never made a decker before, so you guys really helped.

Yinan

• Newb
« Reply #22 on: <08-27-14/0323:53> »
I also put them at Rating 5, as the book lists that Cyberlimbs can take Rating 5 Sensor Arrays, and an Armor Jacket is about the same size.
I don't think that this works.
It might be the same size category, but if you compare the little space you have in the Armor Jacket when wearing it and how much space you have in a whole Cyberlimb.
I'd go with something like 3, 4 tops.

8-bit

« Reply #23 on: <08-27-14/0355:17> »
I don't think that this works.
It might be the same size category, but if you compare the little space you have in the Armor Jacket when wearing it and how much space you have in a whole Cyberlimb.
I'd go with something like 3, 4 tops.

Well, considering an Armor Jacket has Capacity 12, and a full Obvious Arm has capacity 15, I'd say they have a similar amount of space. However, you are probably right, so I'm changing it to rating 4. I would think it's higher than 3, as a small device the size of a smartphone that you hold in your hand has a rating of 3.

Armor Jacket w/ Nonconductivity 4, Sensor Array Rating 4 - 10,030 nuyen
Sensor Array Contains: Capacity 4 Camera w/ Low-light Vision, Thermographic Vision, Vision Magnification, Vision Enhancement; Laser Range Finder; Motion Sensor; Rating 4 Radio Signal Scanner; Ultrasound; Capacity 3 Laser Microphone w/ Audio Enhancement 3; Olfactory Sensor; Atmosphere Sensor

Yinan

• Newb
« Reply #24 on: <08-27-14/0401:19> »
Yeah, after researching a bit more, 4 sounds the most resonable to me as well.

Shouldn't the Laser Mic have a Rating of 4, as that is the Rating of the Sensor Array (and thus a capacity of 4, which you don't seem to need but which it has because of the array)?

8-bit

« Reply #25 on: <08-27-14/0431:54> »
Yeah, after researching a bit more, 4 sounds the most resonable to me as well.

Shouldn't the Laser Mic have a Rating of 4, as that is the Rating of the Sensor Array (and thus a capacity of 4, which you don't seem to need but which it has because of the array)?

Stuff can be up to rating 4 I believe. Also, don't need Rating 4, since the Audio Enhancement 3 puts Laser Mic at 12R availability.