NEWS

Can't repair Matrix Damage, what the drek???

• 5 Replies

FR34K-$H0W

• Newb
« on: <11-05-14/2257:51> »
So in the most recent Missions FAQ I noticed the change to repairing gear requiring the 2% cost per box of damage. Seeing as how there still isn't a lot of detail on how many boxes exist for the damage track on gear that doesn't have a given body score, this seems to be most important for drones and vehicles. Fair enough.

My concern is the line about repairing matrix damage that is now stuck out. Huh? So here's a typical scenario...

Decker starts hacking a host while runner team gets impatient he's hogging all of the time.
Decker rolls poorly on a check and the resulting failure marks him for all security to see.
Decker gets bludgeoned and deck gets bricked.
Decker sits out the remainder of the mission unable to... well... deck.

Granted an hour of downtime needed at a minimum wasn't always easy to come by between combats or situations where the decker might need his gear, but at least it gave you a chance of getting back in the action. Unlike other items taking damage or being destroyed, you can't exactly have a "backup" cyberdeck the way a street sammie might carry around a few extra weapons in case something unthinkable happens to the primaries.

Was this change intentionally trying to remove deckers as a viable option, or is there something else in the works here to give the equipment based classes a break? If I'm dumping all my nuts into one basket by being a decker and blowing more nuyen on a shiny trinket than I would spend on a helicopter, yeah it would be nice to have options if somebody overheats my gear so I'm not left worthless the rest of the game. So, why the change on making matrix damage unrepairable during a mission and only clearing the damage track during downtime?

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #1 on: <11-06-14/0011:05> »
Not sure where you were referring to a section of the Matrix damage repair rules being struck out.  It's right here:

If my equipment takes Matrix damage or is bricked, how long does it take to repair?
Equipment that is bricked during gameplay is assumed to be fully repaired and operational as long as you take at least one week of downtime between Missions. This downtime can be used for any other activity you wish.

Are you sure you're using version 1.2?
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #2 on: <11-06-14/0053:02> »
I think I know what he's confused about.

Repairing Matrix Damage is a core part of the game's rules in the core rulebook, FR34K-$H0W.  The Missions FAQ did not remove that.  It's just adding that during Missions downtime, all matrix damage is assumed to have been repaired.  The basic rules for repairing Matrix Damage with Hardware tests is still there, nothing removed that.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <11-06-14/0057:40> »
IMO it is an either or scenario.  The additional rule from the FAQ that Namikaze references shouldn't make obsolete the standard repair rule for matrix damage.  I think the repair rule from the FAQ can be applied to decks but I think the main intent was for characters that may not have a hardware tool kit and/or a hardware skill to repair guns, comlinks, (god forbid) augmentation or other equipment that can potentially take matrix damage.  Some additional clarification couldn't hurt though.

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <11-06-14/0144:49> »
Decker rolls poorly on a check and the resulting failure marks him for all security to see.
Decker gets bludgeoned and deck gets bricked.
So the IC was already launched when that happened? A host can only launch one IC per combat turn and the book suggests that hosts rarely run something else than Patrol Ice 24/7. So taking more than 8 unresisted matrix damage before you can jack out should be rare.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #5 on: <11-06-14/0312:32> »
IMO it is an either or scenario.  The additional rule from the FAQ that Namikaze references shouldn't make obsolete the standard repair rule for matrix damage.

This is correct - the default rules are used if Matrix damage needs to be repaired posthaste, otherwise the damage is assumed to be healed with one week of downtime.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.