NEWS

[SR] Hero Lab

• 80 Replies

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #45 on: <05-06-19/1808:16> »
There is a summary of what is known doc floating around, and I believe that it mentioned that HeroLab has the 6th ed CRB. 

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #46 on: <05-06-19/2106:01> »
I pinged Lone Wolf on their forums and they said “stay tuned”. I’m taking that as a positive. ;D

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #47 on: <06-22-19/2333:36> »
Lone Wolf has confirmed that SR6 will be coming to Hero Lab Online, though no confirmation of release date.

Check out their June newsletter.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #48 on: <06-23-19/0343:28> »
YES!!! ;D This will be really useful for charsheets.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Singularity

• Chummer
« Reply #49 on: <06-23-19/0459:28> »
I'm wondering if it will be released in the older client, or the newer Hero Lab Online? I've found the newer one a bit clunky for Starfinder (I picked up the beginner's boxed set and was trying to make the sample characters using Hero Lab Online). To be fair, it may just have seemed that way because I'm used to the older program and not the newer one.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #50 on: <06-23-19/0749:37> »
The announcement only mentioned HLO, so I’m assuming it will be specific to that platform. This would follow the pattern of Starfinder and Pathfinder 2.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #51 on: <06-23-19/0938:29> »
Only the new client. They are moving away from development in Hero Lab Classic, focusing on putting everything online. I am hoping they follow D&D Beyond's ability to share characters in a campaign, but right now, you have one license (and have to log out of the current PC/Tablet before logging into the new one).

The Tekwych

• Omae
« Reply #52 on: <06-23-19/0948:01> »
If there is no HL Classic then I will no longer be using LWD. I will not use on line product.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #53 on: <06-23-19/1008:51> »
Can you still use HLO without an internet connection, and logging in/out is simply the way of 'activating/deactivating' your license, basically? And is there caching, or is it like Google Docs, where you can't make changes when the connection is bad?

Edit: Okay, so apparently offline-mode is on the roadmap and as planned right now will not support edit-mode:
"Offline View (Read-only. You will not be able to make changes, modifications, or adjustments to your character in this mode"
And I found a topic with people complaining about the responsiveness, and they replied that they're working on it over time.
« Last Edit: <06-23-19/1018:30> by Michael Chandra »

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #54 on: <06-23-19/1057:44> »
They are basically rebuilding everything they did with Hero Lab Classic, but in web code now, so it's got a lot of growing pains. I wouldn't expect to see Sixth World until October at the VERY earliest, especially since they are still working out bugs with Pathfinder/Starfinder from the past year. The other problem I have with it, is there's currently no way to make custom outside of the rules in the system (i.e., building a new class, race, etc.). So far, WizBro's beating them on the Online character tools with D&D Beyond.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #55 on: <06-23-19/1957:56> »
Can you still use HLO without an internet connection, and logging in/out is simply the way of 'activating/deactivating' your license, basically? And is there caching, or is it like Google Docs, where you can't make changes when the connection is bad?

Edit: Okay, so apparently offline-mode is on the roadmap and as planned right now will not support edit-mode:
"Offline View (Read-only. You will not be able to make changes, modifications, or adjustments to your character in this mode"
And I found a topic with people complaining about the responsiveness, and they replied that they're working on it over time.

This is one of the noted issues with HLO (FJ lists a couple of others). I've hemmed and hawed about it for some time now, but will likely jump on board once it's released.

The Tekwych

• Omae
« Reply #56 on: <06-23-19/2223:28> »
My biggest problem with any online only system or tool, especially one that has a lot of personalized data, designs, or my own IP, is what happens when the company (or its product) goes away. If LWD, or HLO ever goes away then I loose all the work and characters I have put into the system. With a bit of warning and luck I can get a printout of the data but it is no longer editable. With software on my device I have the ability to keep using the product wether the company, or its support, still exists. I have an older computer running older OSs and 'vintage' applications.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #57 on: <06-24-19/0244:47> »
True, I prefer the promise that one company once made (I forget which one) that if they ever go under, they promised they would release all DRM.

I'll definitely go with HLO though, from what I hear it's Android so I could use laptop to set things up and then phone to quickly reference things. And occasionally loan out a login to a player to update their character, so I don't have to do all the work.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #58 on: <06-24-19/1906:39> »
HLO is neither "Android" or iOS...pretty sure it's simply based on HTML coding which lets it be compatible with any browser on any system.

adzling

« Reply #59 on: <06-24-19/1911:17> »
correct, it's a web-app presented in any old browser.

imho that's a superior approach to the offline, app based herolab.