NEWS

Gear Request from player

• 108 Replies

thalandar

• Chummer
« on: <02-21-11/2039:02> »
This is a real request from a player for a "pistol":

You start with the Warhawk, then you fill up all six slots with Large Mod Firing Selection Change (to add Full Auto) and High Power Chambering from War (+2 DV, -1 AP). After that, you overmod it to give it a Custom Look, engraving the name 'Bessie' on the side of the barrel.

You now have an 8P, -3AP Revolver that can fire a Long Burst, emptying the cylinder in a single shot and jumping the damage to 13P before net hits. Of course, Hambone applies both his Foot Anchors (+2 recoil comp) and his Cyberarm Gyromount (+3) whenever he fires it, nicely negating the -5 recoil mod from full auto. It's a bitch to reload, but its worth it seeing the look on a ganger's face when you pull this massive mother of gun out of your cyber holster and splatter his chrome troll buddy all over the payment in a single shot.

I don't know if I should laugh or cry-I ask for people to flesh out their characters and this is what I get.

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <02-21-11/2043:45> »
I am proud of your player

Billy_Club

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <02-21-11/2051:57> »
I'd say let them go for it, but if they use it more than a couple times have them start picking up levels of the Distinctive Style negative quality from Runner's Companion.  This way, it discourages its use all the time, while leaving the option open for them to use it when it really counts.

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #3 on: <02-21-11/2122:00> »
*laughs*

I like the premise, and it already has some serious drawbacks:
A) foot anchors take actions to get sorted
B) Arm Gyros are not subtle
C) Distinctive style is definitely going to apply

I'd also require the PC to get some serious Firearm/Armourer contacts to validate getting their hands on this prototype firearm that requires a facility to build....

Either that, or the Hunted quality for having stolen this weapon from whomever was building it.

Basically, this gun could not have been jury-rigged by some back-alley workshop. Someone has put serious Nuyen into making it, and they're going to want it back....
« Last Edit: <02-21-11/2150:07> by Charybdis »
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #4 on: <02-21-11/2147:21> »
Finally, this is going to be loud as all hell.

Not, "Wake the neighbors" loud, I'm talking, "WHAT THE FRAG WAS THAT" from a dozen blocks away, past heavy construction, loud.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #5 on: <02-22-11/0041:02> »
Finally, this is going to be loud as all hell.

Not, "Wake the neighbors" loud, I'm talking, "WHAT THE FRAG WAS THAT" from a dozen blocks away, past heavy construction, loud.
Maybe the gun's name should be changed from 'Bessie' to:
- Wailin' Winnie?
- Screamin' Susan?
- Howlin' Harriet?

I remember the Ruger Thunderbolt (Lonestar weapon) had a particular firing noise that anyone familiar with police (for, or against) could recognise instantly.

Maybe it could be two sets of Distinctive style for this weapon...one for seeing it, and one for hearing it.

Either way, anyone in any way familiar with the PC is going to hear this one coming!

Note: It's actually not that hard to get a pistol-weapon firing this big.
I recommend starting with a Savalette, give it the Small mod firing selection change (going from Burst fire to Full Auto), add the same High-power Chambering and Voila! you have almost exactly the same weapon, but with an inbuilt smartlink, some recoil comp and even a few mod slots spare for further customisation....like, I don't know...a Sound Suppressor? :P
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

aimlessfreak

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <02-22-11/0046:32> »
This is a real request from a player for a "pistol":

You start with the Warhawk, then you fill up all six slots with Large Mod Firing Selection Change (to add Full Auto) and High Power Chambering from War (+2 DV, -1 AP). After that, you overmod it to give it a Custom Look, engraving the name 'Bessie' on the side of the barrel.

You now have an 8P, -3AP Revolver that can fire a Long Burst, emptying the cylinder in a single shot and jumping the damage to 13P before net hits. Of course, Hambone applies both his Foot Anchors (+2 recoil comp) and his Cyberarm Gyromount (+3) whenever he fires it, nicely negating the -5 recoil mod from full auto. It's a bitch to reload, but its worth it seeing the look on a ganger's face when you pull this massive mother of gun out of your cyber holster and splatter his chrome troll buddy all over the payment in a single shot.

I don't know if I should laugh or cry-I ask for people to flesh out their characters and this is what I get.

As a player this is the kind of thing I really like having to have.  As a gm is the kind of thing that makes me want to beat players over the head for lol
But I didn't know he was a DRAGON!

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #7 on: <02-22-11/0053:21> »
As a gun nut, I wonder how the mechanics behind this would even work.  Of course, you could always just "Fan" your gun like Clint Eastwood does.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

aimlessfreak

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <02-22-11/0054:33> »
I bet you'd need a cyber hand to fan that beast

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #9 on: <02-22-11/0102:06> »
Fanning the hammer?  No.

Holding onto revolver itself, yes.  Break your wrist otherwise.  It's practically a wrist-breaker on it's own.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

aimlessfreak

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <02-22-11/0108:34> »
either way lol

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <02-22-11/0205:52> »
Can a pistol really handle that kinda stress, long term?  The thing has got to fall apart after a use or two.

aimlessfreak

• Chummer
« Reply #12 on: <02-22-11/0208:54> »
Well I know alot of guns being made now are rated for +P ammo, so its not a huge step up from that

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #13 on: <02-22-11/0217:03> »
Can a pistol really handle that kinda stress, long term?  The thing has got to fall apart after a use or two.
As long as it's properly maintained, firearms are typically over-designed for the ammunition they use.

The actual restriction that exists for powder charge is usually the Brass used.

I'm pretty sure I've heard that a Browning M1935 (AKA:  The Browning Hi-Power) from WWII, if properly maintained as I've stated, can use modern 9mm Parabellum +P ammunition without much problem.  And, well, the Canadian Armed Forces are supposedly still taking those babies out of the packing grease from production runs from WWII to issue to officers, brand new.

But, I'm not a shooter, nor have I ever served, so all I have to go on is research, and that can sometimes be wrong, and I freely and fully admit that.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Rockopolis

• Omae
  • Severe Shadowrun Addiction
« Reply #14 on: <02-22-11/0834:53> »
Make it into an autorevolver that drops the hammer when the trigger is down?  Probably makes a stuttering noise.
Or go crazy and have an electrically powered cylinder and hammer (or use electric firing), kinda like a gatling gun.
Shadowrunners are reminded that the Fashion Police are a real organization and will they will be deployed at the first sign of defiance.
Mossy the Mentat Looking for a game.