NEWS

initiative action clarification

• 10 Replies

Tkeela

• Newb
« on: <03-30-20/1506:07> »
Okay, so I get that you start with one major and one minor. And that you get another minor per initiative dice added.
My question is, since ive read both online, does a toon require synaptic booster rating two or three for two major actions?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <03-30-20/1553:26> »
Wired Reflexes and Synaptic Boosters are meant to only add the Minor that comes out of the extra initiative die. The language for these was adjusted in the January update of the PDFs to indicate that. So Rating 3 for total 4 Minor Actions.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Tkeela

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <03-30-20/2117:47> »
Thank you:)

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <03-31-20/1027:19> »
Characters start with 1 Major and 1 Minor and get 1 extra Minor for each dice of Initiative, page 107.  With no Initiative boosts a character has 1 Major, and 2 Minors because they have +1d6 of Initiative.  To get to 1 Major and 4 Minors Total takes only +2d6 additional Initiative.  Wired 2, Jazz, Increased Reflexes 2, whatever gets a character to 1 Major and 4 Minors.

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #4 on: <03-31-20/1141:05> »
Looking at my original book and the January update it doesn't look like they changed anything in the wording for Synaptic Boosters or Wired Reflexes. the text is exactly the same. I even went to Drivethru RPG to redownload the book to make sure I was not missing anything.

By text you get a +1 initiative die and 1 minor action per level which would give you basically two extra minor actions per level if you go by rules as written. One for the dice based base minor action allocation and one per level of Wired Reflexes or Synaptic booster.

We all know this is wrong of course and you are not supposed to get double the minors for the enhancements but it still needs to be corrected. In my opinion the easiest way to do this is to just remove the 1 minor action text in those entries.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't

Red

*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <03-31-20/1234:10> »
Yes, the Augmentations should be cleaned up, but didn't make it for the second PDF.

Edit, they did make it, Yay!
« Last Edit: <03-31-20/1620:05> by Hobbes »

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #6 on: <03-31-20/1257:59> »
Its all good, I hope I didn't come off overly critical. You all have a lot on your plate and I am really liking this rule set so please know I am behind what you all are doing. Michael had said they adjusted the wording so I thought I might have missed something. :)
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't

Red

Thinking
com
speaking

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #7 on: <03-31-20/1304:43> »
You're right, my bad: Rating 2 is +2d6, so 3d6, so 3+1 Minors. Rating 2 suffices.

As for the wording in the book, I just compared the two PDFs I have.
Before january: "When activated,
each rating point of wired reflexes gives
you +1 Reaction (and accompanying bonus to
your Initiative Score), 1 additional Initiative Die,
and 1 additional Minor Action."

After january: "When activated,
each rating point of wired reflexes gives you
+1 Reaction (with accompanying bonus to your
Initiative Score) and 1 additional Initiative Die
(with accompanying Minor Action)."

As for Synaptic:
"The booster confers
a bonus of +1 Reaction (and accompanying adjustment
to Initiative Score), 1 additional Initiative
Die, and 1 additional Minor Action per point of
Rating."

"The booster confers a
bonus of +1 Reaction (with accompanying bonus
to your Initiative Score) and 1 additional Initiative
Die (with accompanying Minor Action)."

So the wording has in fact changed here, to make clear the mentioned Minor Action comes out of the initiative die, not on top of it.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <03-31-20/1319:13> »
Cool!  Glad those did get in then! 

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <03-31-20/1530:22> »
At the time the Jan 2020 version of the PDF was released, the zipped version didn't contain the new file.  So if your version doesn't have this updated language, you may have downloaded the zipped file and not looked too closely.

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #10 on: <03-31-20/1540:20> »
Yep that is it. The file inside the Zip folder has "(1-20)" appended to it and the text is different. I just downloaded the file that is outside the zipped folder and it is was the older version.

Thanks all. Sorry for my confusion. :)

Red

Thinking
com
speaking