NEWS

Rook (ongoing)

• 56 Replies

Nal0n

• Newb
« Reply #45 on: <06-01-13/2103:23> »
Really love it. Would be very happy to read more about "Rook's Adventures" ;)

Kinkerbell

• Omae
« Reply #46 on: <08-04-15/2332:02> »
Shameless bump, because this story is amazing and I want to be able to find it later.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #47 on: <08-05-15/0107:35> »
Rook remains a recurring (and highly irritating, at least to me) character when it comes to Ancients storylines - he's the right-hand-mage of the current leader, Belial.  As such, he appears in Critias' latest and official offering, the novel 'Shaken (No Job Too Small)'.  He also plays a recurring role in Critias's collection of convention missions entitled 'Elven Blood'.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Kinkerbell

• Omae
« Reply #48 on: <08-05-15/0148:35> »
Wow! I knew he was in Elven Blood, but I had no idea he popped up in Shaken.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #49 on: <08-05-15/2116:41> »
Thanks for the bump, Kink, and I'm glad you're enjoying the character.  Wyrm's got you all up to speed with Rook's appearances, and yes, they do include the novel that just hit.  :)

BrickyardBabe

• Chummer
« Reply #50 on: <01-22-16/1616:40> »
So I'm going to engage in a little thread necromancy in order to ask, does anyone know when is this intro story set, other than Critias himself? I'm building a character in Seattle and I had toyed with her being a witness to Rook's thorough hoop-kicking of that Gianelli soldato, but I don't know how long ago that was.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #51 on: <01-22-16/1833:35> »
I'd peg it in my head as "a couple years ago," just like when the story was posted (because Rook's appeared in some stuff since then, and I tend to think of things as advancing kind of real-time)...but if you want it to fit better with your character, there's no reason he couldn't've done it last Tuesday or something.

Oh, and for future reference -- and this goes for everybody, I'm not trying to 'pick on' or single out Brickyard, here -- if any of y'all have any questions, please don't hesitate to shoot me a PM or look for me on Facebook or whatevs.  The "other than Critias himself" up there kind of sucked to read, 'cause it made me feel like someone thought I wasn't approachable, and I really, really, try to be.  So, yeah.  Holler at me any time y'all have questions, whether it's about my freebie old fan-fic stuff here in this subforum, about my official sourcebook or adventure stuff, about the fiction I've written, or just whatever, okay?
« Last Edit: <01-23-16/0401:51> by Critias »

BrickyardBabe

• Chummer
« Reply #52 on: <01-23-16/1924:20> »
Oh no no no! I just meant that I didn't know how often you checked here and you're one of the writers. That's like a disciple going up to ask her prophet a question about the scripture! I didn't want to presume to ask about a drab you posted three years ago is all! I never meant to offend or imply that you aren't approachable.

I'm actually building a 'runner that realized she wanted to become a 'runner when she saw Rook beat the ever-loving tar out of the Gianelli who liked to show up and slap her around, so the timeline as written works just about right.

Man, he's an expensive contact!
« Last Edit: <01-23-16/1926:08> by BrickyardBabe »

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #53 on: <01-24-16/1818:34> »
No problem!  Like I said, it was more of a general reminder that folks should absolutely feel free to say hi, not me being genuinely offended or anything. 

And Rook's...hrm...he's got "official" Missions Contact stats (and even a little sheet) in the back of Elven Blood.  That might be floating around the 'net somewhere, but I certainly tried to tag those stats for how he'd play out to a random (likely non-elven) Shadowrunner who got him as a contact during gameplay in those adventures.  You could tweak those contact/loyalty ratings plenty by being an elven gal from Tarislar, a member of the Ancients or Laesa, or what-have-you, instead of just a business contact.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #54 on: <03-01-16/0341:32> »
Hi all! 

I just wanted to take a second to let fans of my fiction know about my latest project.  Don't worry, I'm still writing plenty for Shadowrun (just ask my editor!), novels included, but I'm also trying to branch out and start my own side projects, now. 

If you've enjoyed reading Rook's stories, and my other fic posted around this subforum, please take a second to click this link -- https://www.inkshares.com/books/over-the-stars -- and just imagine the fun I'm gonna have once I'm playing in my own sandbox, with my own toys.  I've got a whole sci-fi universe lined up and ready to go, a dystopian future amidst the stars, with warring nation-states, underdog rebels fighting the system, corporations pulling puppet-strings, a military academy crossed with a reality tv show, and plenty of action.  I'm hoping this first one, Over The Stars, is going to be just that;  the first in a series.  I've got plenty of story to tell.

But I need your help. 

Every $10 preorder gets me closer to my ultimate goal, but, more importantly, every $10 preorder before March 15 gets me closer to a shortcut to that goal.  Nerdist.com is running a contest, and right now -- despite starting that six-week contest three weeks late! -- we're in 18th place.  I know I can do better than that, and I know my readers can help make that happen.  Every new reader, every little $10 pledge from a new person, helps me climb that ladder and get closer to getting full Nerdist.com support and distribution for this novel.

So if you've enjoyed any of my fiction, please check out the link, please share it with your fiction-lovin' friends, and please consider a preorder of just $10 (especially if you can do so before March 15). 

Thanks!

Thanael

• Chummer
« Reply #55 on: <04-01-16/1706:25> »
Love the story and the character.

I just recently got back to SR - skipping 4e completely - and your novel was one of the first purchases. Love the street/noir setting and grounding in canon/setting lore and SR rules. (I have an SR2 char sheet with a dwarf named Hardpoint in my shadowrun folder. Imagine my surprise when reading Shaken ! Mine was not quite a rigger though)

Keep up the excellent work!

I'm seriously tempted to buy the missions just to have a peek at Rook's stats.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #56 on: <04-03-16/1817:41> »
Thanks Thanael, welcome (back) to Shadowrun, and I'm glad you've enjoyed it so far!