NEWS

Drones and Initiative Passes

• 7 Replies

Teknodragon

• Omae
« on: <11-26-10/1927:19> »
Normally, drones have 3 initiative passes when acting on their own.  However, suppose a rigger has the Simsense Booster cyberware. While in hot-sim, how many IP's would he have to act while jumped into a drone?  This may have crazy implications, if the rigger then further added a simsense accelerator.
Life is short, the night is long, and we still have ammo.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <11-26-10/1930:38> »
Normally, drones have 3 initiative passes when acting on their own.  However, suppose a rigger has the Simsense Booster cyberware. While in hot-sim, how many IP's would he have to act while jumped into a drone?  This may have crazy implications, if the rigger then further added a simsense accelerator.
4 assuming that the rigger has 4 matrix IP whit that setup(can't be bother to sheck the books for that)
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Teknodragon

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <11-26-10/1936:16> »
4 assuming that the rigger has 4 matrix IP whit that setup(can't be bother to sheck the books for that)

Yeah-- Simsense Booster plus hot-sim gives 4 matrix IP.  Simsense Accelerator gives 5 IP... which is a huge advantage if a rigger can have 5 passes meatspace via a drone.  Which will likely make a GM twitch a lot.

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #3 on: <11-26-10/1942:55> »
Teknodragon and Max are right, hot-sim VR + Simsense Booster = 4 IP for the rigger, add Simsense Booster, which has that nice line of "this is an exception to the rules that are provided for some semblance of balance everywhere else because we didn't think about the implications" (say that five times fast), and you have 5 IP for the rigger.

To quote the good book:
Quote from:  SR4A, pg. 245, Jumping In
A drone controlled in this manner acts on the rigger's Initiative - the rigger and the drone are treated as a single unit.

That means, every time the rigger's initiative comes up, the rigger/drone gets an action. So with all that happy stuff mentioned earlier, you can get your 5 IP tricked out drone while staying safely and comfortably at home on the couch. Just hope your foes don't trace the signal back to you & kill you before you can come out of VR.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Teknodragon

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <11-26-10/1952:39> »
Teknodragon and Max are right, hot-sim VR + Simsense Booster = 4 IP for the rigger, add Simsense Booster, which has that nice line of "this is an exception to the rules that are provided for some semblance of balance everywhere else because we didn't think about the implications" (say that five times fast), and you have 5 IP for the rigger.

To quote the good book:
Quote from:  SR4A, pg. 245, Jumping In
A drone controlled in this manner acts on the rigger's Initiative - the rigger and the drone are treated as a single unit.

That means, every time the rigger's initiative comes up, the rigger/drone gets an action. So with all that happy stuff mentioned earlier, you can get your 5 IP tricked out drone while staying safely and comfortably at home on the couch. Just hope your foes don't trace the signal back to you & kill you before you can come out of VR.

Yikes.  Now to see if the GM will let me buy the accelerator with Restricted Gear.  And, thanks for confirming what I thought.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #5 on: <11-29-10/0510:50> »
Remember that you'll often have to use one of those IPs for making a driving test, so it's not always as good as it sounds.

-k

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #6 on: <11-29-10/0553:20> »
Better than spending IPs on driving tests without extra IPs to use for shooting etc.
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

Lansdren

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <11-29-10/0838:06> »
Whilst extra IP's are good there are limitations

Pain from hotsimming a drone can be a ass (if it looks like a tank moves like a tank and shoots like a tank, it will be shot at like a tank)
As above mentioned a driving IP will be needed
Switching enermies and multi targeting should get the right negative modifiers which reduces its use when balanced against cost.
The gear needed for this is very very expensive and highly illegal (this will vary as a issue depending on how gritty your game is)
"Didnt anyone tell you as security school to geek the mage first?"  "I guess I will just have to educate you with a introduction to my boomstick"