Shadowrun General > Gear

Chameleon Armour V's Thermographic Vision

(1/4) > >>

Samflint1:
Does anyone know if Chameleon Armour is resistant to thermographic vision? Reading the rules it is not clear since thermographic vision is fairly common and the suit grants you edge then surely it would? Otherwise, it seems like a fairly pointless system if you blend into your surroundings but can be seen anyway.

In previous editions you could buy thermal damping however this has now been removed.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat:
I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

If you're asking "Does having Thermographic vision mean you can spot hiding people just by their waste heat, thereby ignoring what could have been a potentially good Sneak Test" then the answer is "No".

Samflint1:
The answer you have given is exactly what I was asking, thank you. My GM pulled me up on my heat signature when I was hiding yesterday and I thought it didn't sound right but couldn't find anything in the book. I thought at the time "what is the point in chameleon armour when they can see my heat signature anyway?". But as you have clarified they can't so I'll update my GM.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat:

--- Quote from: Samflint1 on ---The answer you have given is exactly what I was asking, thank you. My GM pulled me up on my heat signature when I was hiding yesterday and I thought it didn't sound right but couldn't find anything in the book. I thought at the time "what is the point in chameleon armour when they can see my heat signature anyway?". But as you have clarified they can't so I'll update my GM.

--- End quote ---

Ok, well first of all that's my interpretation, by no means an official answer.

And also don't take it to mean thermographic is useless.  The GM can still say that depending on the circumstances, yes thermo can be a factor.  Just like hearing or smelling you despite your chameleon suit is possible.  Now, since thermo is a visual sense and the chameleon suit's fluff says (in other words) it works on the visual spectrum, it makes sense to say the suit's optics and polymers ALSO work in wavelengths beyond 700nm, rather than aribitrarily stopping at "red".  Infrared (aka thermographic) is afterall so common, it doesn't make any practical sense to NOT expand the capability into those wavelengths... I agree with you there.

However, the GM is always right.  If, in the GM's view, your body heat is making a discernible impact on the ambient environment (say, you're hiding behind cover in the corner of the room, after 30 mins or so that whole corner of the room IS gonna be hotter than the rest of the room...) then being able to see thermo should come into play.  Should it mean your roll is obviated? IMO, only in extreme circumstances...basically "No."

IMO, if thermo ends up being relevant (and it usually shouldn't, so long as you keep moving from place to place), then the potential advantage in possessing thermographic vision SHOULD manifest as the observer getting circumstantial edge. (but you're still getting edge from the third leg of the edge triad: AR vs DR (irrelevant in a sneak vs perception), circumstances, gear!)

adzling:
Chameleon suits never stopped thermal in prior editions.

Infrared is not visible light.

The mechanisms the chameleon suits uses to fool viewers involves changing the surface colors of the garment to blend into the background.

All of the above clearly indicates chameleon suits do not conceal thermal signature.

Thermal signatures that differ from the background are very easy to spot.

Ergo having the chameleon suit grant edge to an observer with thermal vision is incorrect per common sense and precedence.

However 6e does not follow common sense or any semblance of reality so you may as well grant edge.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version