Shadowrun General > Gear

6th - Shotguns

(1/10) > >>

Remnar:
Sorry if this has been hashed out but I didn't see anything recent and just got the rules.

So... What's the point of shotguns in 6th Ed?

Take my favorite since, what Street Sam Catalogue?, The CMDT.  It seems to be objectively worse than the basic AK in ... everything except price (in a relatively trivial amount at CharGen) with slugs and dubiously better(?) with flechette, depending on if +1 AR is worth giving up 2 DV.

Also, why does the Viper Silvergun get a +1 DV for it's flechette when everything else gets -1 DV for using that ammo, seems backwards.

Then again, nonsense and piles of editing errors are expected from CGL but I'm wondering if I missed something.  Didn't see any shotgun rules in combat or anything for choke and spread or whatnot.

topcat:
No reason to ever use a shotgun in SR6 unless you're bad at math or want one for RP purposes.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat:
Combat book is coming soon.  It'll probably have some love for shotguns, I'd imagine.

--- Quote from: topcat on ---No reason to ever use a shotgun in SR6 unless you're bad at math or want one for RP purposes.

--- End quote ---

Eh, I'd say "no reason" is an exaggeration:  They hit harder than SMGs, and have better Close ARs than rifles.

ZeroSum:
Not a whole lot of need for shotguns in the current implementation, I agree.

If there were any special rules for shot vs slugs, especially shot with variable chole, or anything to distinguish them from rifles they might be worth considering.

--- Quote from: Stainless Steel Devil Rat on ---They hit harder than SMGs, and have better Close ARs than rifles.

--- End quote ---
They do hit harder than SMGs (except the P93), but are harder to conceal (except for the short-barrel T-250). SMGs also have superior close Attack Ratings over shotguns, and rifles are barely behind.

The the CMDT, like the OP mentioned. It's DV of 4P is greater than most SMGs and equal to most rifles, but the AK-97 and FN-HAR both do 5P. Additionally, it's AR is 4/11/7 (with Laser Sight included); comparatively, most rifles are in the same range but have far greater range and therefore versatility, as well as Full Auto.

I just don't see any reason to bring a shotgun to a gunfight in the current rules. Let's hope the combat book changes that.

Remnar:
Thanks all, I see I didn't miss anything.

Disappointing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version