NEWS

6E: One Edge expenditure per action - what does this mean exactly?

• 3 Replies

skalchemist

• Omae
« on: <01-20-20/1301:18> »
Some questions about the limit of "one Edge expenditure per action" rules on pages 44 and 45.  Or rather, I'm going to make some statements about how I think this works, and you tell me if you think I have it wrong and how.

* "per action" means any action any character takes.  So, for example, if I am being attacked, I could not spend Edge on both my Defense test and my Damage Resistance test. 

* Edge Actions count as Edge expenditure.  So, for example, if I use Anticipation to get my full dice pool on both targets in a Wide Burst, I can't spend Edge to affect either die roll. 

* The expenditure is by roll (per page 45).  So, again with a Wide Burst, I could choose to spend Edge on either roll against the two targets, but not both.

* Theoretically, everything happening in combat is associated with somebodies action, so once combat starts things like spending Edge to heal a box of damage or spending Edge to change Initiative would also count towards this limit (although also, theoretically, those spends could happen on other people's actions and therefore practically it wouldn't make that much difference).

Do I have that right?
« Last Edit: <01-20-20/1402:08> by skalchemist »

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <01-20-20/1307:12> »
Yes, or at least that is the same way I play it (I didn't write that part so I'm not sure about original intent)

For what's it worth I do edge gain the same way
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <01-20-20/1327:53> »
Some questions about the limit of "one Edge expenditure per action" rules on pages 44 and 45.  Or rather, I'm going to make some statements about how I think this works, and you tell me if you think I have it wrong and how.

* "per action" means any action any character takes.  So, for example, if I am being attacked, I could not spend Edge on both my Defense test and my Damage Resistance test. 

Yep, that attack on you is one action (your enemy's action, to be precise).  Throughout the entire resolution of that attack, you can spend Edge once.

* Edge Actions count as Edge expenditure.  So, for example, if I use Anticipation to get my full dice pool on both targets in a Wide Burst, I can't spend Edge to affect either die roll.

* The expenditure is by roll (per page 45).  So, again with a Wide Burst, I could choose to spend Edge on either roll against the two targets, but not both.

Yep, you spent edge.  Can't spend any other edge throughout that entire action.

* Theoretically, everything happening in combat is associated with somebodies action, so once combat starts things like spending Edge to heal a box of damage or spending Edge to change Initiative would also count towards this limit (although also, theoretically, those spends could happen on other people's actions and therefore practically it wouldn't make that much difference).

Do I have that right?

Yep, although there are times in combat where it's presumably noone's "action".  You can still potentially act during those times, and I don't see why that can't be an "anytime" sort of edge expenditure.  Healing a box of damage is an edge boost that, in my reading, can occur "any time".
« Last Edit: <01-20-20/1335:41> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

skalchemist

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <01-20-20/1401:45> »
Thanks for the confirmations!