NEWS

A CFD infected Drake ... Am i way off base here ?

• 6 Replies

belaran

• Omae
« on: <06-06-16/1649:40> »
Hi,

With a ten years hiatus before my last game of Shadowrun 3ed and my return to it, over a year ago, with 5ed, I skipped a lot of stuff - including the apparition of Drake. However, looking for a twist for my character next run - when they end up following an agent of SK Prime (Saeder Krupp) on a hunt for a dangerous CFD infected character, I had the idea of using a Drake.

However, taking a pick to 4ed supplemental (Runner Companion) it does mention that Drake are immune to most disease (but CFD) is not really one, and also I'm not really sure how to adapt the stats to 5ed.

So in essence, I'm going here for inputs:
  • am I "off based" here ?(in terms of universe here)
  • how would you transfer the stats ?
  • any other inputs ?

adzling

« Reply #1 on: <06-06-16/1752:22> »
afaik no reason a drake could not be infected with CFD.
It's kind of the super-special-rare-snowflake thingy but if the whole run is built around capturing this NPC then why not?

Take the rules for CFD and mash them together with the bennies for being a drake in Howling Shadows.

Although really in the end the only thing that the players can recognize are dice pools and odd powers.

So give him enough dice pools and remember to use his special CFD/ Drake powers and you shouldn't have to spend a bunch of time making up a "real" NPC.

Unless you want to ;-)

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <06-07-16/0537:09> »
Yep, a CFD infected Drake is a bit of something rare and weird, but it's mostly to make my "monster of the week" a bit more interesting. The all story is the following, they are trying to hijack some cargo from Saeder Krupp, by pretending to be one of their regular transporter.

My PCs plan work like a charm, but the twist is that they get rerouted to deliver an SK Prime agent to a secret Saeder Krupp installation (instead of going there on their own). When they arrive, the scene is a bloody mess, because the CFD infected Drake went maniac on everybody. Now, the SK Prime agent wants to find and kill the damn thing (and also suspect the PCs to be "more than supplier").

Given that the installation is in the middle of a lake into a sort of oil platform, it is more/less a very classical "monster movie" à la The Thing. So I was looking for sort of a monster, and a crazed Drake fit the bill...

You are completly right, PCs will remember only dice pool and weird power. So I was thinking making this drake spit ice instead of fire, and just give him the usual attribute boost from CFD.

BrysenBlue

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <06-07-16/1348:53> »
afaik no reason a drake could not be infected with CFD.

Doesnt the CFD kill them the same way it kills Ghouls that are infected with it?

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <06-07-16/1358:34> »
Drakes explicitly transform any cyberware inside them into their alternate form.
So as long as he looks like a drake, he should be free of the effects
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #5 on: <06-07-16/2231:15> »
Plus, there's the whole deal in the Boston Lockdown going on that suggests dracoforms ain't immune >.>
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <06-08-16/0348:11> »
Drakes explicitly transform any cyberware inside them into their alternate form.
So as long as he looks like a drake, he should be free of the effects

That would be interesting if for instance, my PCs were investigating the character, discover he is a head case, and when they confront him, he switch to drake form and then say "wtf is happening to me ???" (or something like that).

In my case, I need a "monster-of-week", so I will rather say that switching to the drakeform I've make him move from a "manipulator personality" (see Stolen Souls) to a full on "rage" one. He is know stuck in Drake form and on a killing rampage....