NEWS

Point Buy System ... and Qualities

• 2 Replies

Dunedon

• Newb
« on: <02-08-17/1838:35> »
I think this is the correct interpretation but I'm looking for confirmation:

There is no mention of a 25 point limit (positive or negative) for qualities. And it does state that you follow the rules for Character Advancement ... does this mean you can purchase as many positive qualities as you'd like (at twice the listed cost for all of them)?

Similarly, is there a limit to negative qualities? And would you get Bonus Karma for taking them anyways, as I don't think you get karma for taking "negative" qualities from the GM during gameplay.

Or would the 25 point limit count when using the point buy method after all?

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #1 on: <02-08-17/1917:57> »
Strictly speaking, I think you're correct about how it works as written.  No limit, double price on positives, no points back on negatives.

However, that's almost certainly not intended.  Ask your GM; if I was running a game with Point Buy, I would have qualities function the same as they do in Sum to 10 and Priority (25 positive and negative limit, etc).
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <02-08-17/2311:46> »
*EDIT*
Sorry, for some reason I thought you were talking about Life Modules.

But I concur with Firebug.  They are not clear enough, but I get the impression that normal char-gen limits apply.  The Life Modules example shows the character buying positive qualities for the normal (not x2) cost, and I imagine point buy works the same, since both methods use Karma.
« Last Edit: <02-10-17/2312:28> by Glyph »