NEWS

I love 6E

• 22 Replies

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« on: <10-10-19/1119:03> »
So many of the things I hated about previous editions have been fixed and nothing about the new edition bothers me. This is a huge step in the right direction for me and my group. I just wanted to put some positivity out there. For anyone that is curious about trying the game, go for it! It's impossible to please everyone but you just might love 6E.
Show me your wallet and I'll show you a man with 20 fingers.

topcat

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <10-10-19/1126:52> »
Does not bode well when someone on the Errata Team drinks the Kool-Aid...

ZeroSum

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <10-10-19/1137:19> »
[...] nothing about the new edition bothers me.[...]
Not even the obvious mistakes that haven't received errata (yet)?

I haven't played a game of SR6 yet so I'll reserve judgement on mechanics until I do, but objectively speaking, the CRB has numerous issues that could be chalked up to lack of / insufficient QA/editing.

I'm all for keeping an open mind, but come on... Nothing? Honestly? That seems hard to believe.

Noble Drake

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <10-10-19/1139:21> »
I love 6e too. Many things that were struggles in prior versions have been polished out... and while there are a number of rough patches that remain, it feels less insurmountable for me to smooth them out for myself and my group than prior editions - and with a lot less of me just whole-sale ignoring entire chapters or books worth of rules (like I did with the old-school Matrix as solo-dungeon crawl side-game rules)

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <10-10-19/1150:03> »

I haven't played a game of SR6 yet so I'll reserve judgement on mechanics until I do, but objectively speaking, the CRB has numerous issues that could be chalked up to lack of / insufficient QA/editing.

I'm all for keeping an open mind, but come on... Nothing? Honestly? That seems hard to believe.

There's a difference between saying there's nothing flawed and saying one isn't bothered by flaws.   As for stuff that needs errata but hasn't gotten it yet... maybe he knows something you don't? ;)
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <10-10-19/1253:01> »

Allow me to clarify: The book clearly has quite a few editing issues and that is unfortunate, BUT, I don't really care because I love this fucking game and this is my time to shine, I'm not going to let the editing issues slow me down. The bottom line is this: I'm playing Shadowrun either way, 6E is far more fun for me and I appreciate it, that's coming from someone with a LOT of frustrations with previous editions. I also think the writing in the book is excellent and the layout overall is pretty sweet, things are easy to find quickly.
Show me your wallet and I'll show you a man with 20 fingers.

ZeroSum

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <10-10-19/1257:40> »
@SSDS
Sure, that's always a possibility, and I for one am optimistic about errata addressing some of the glaring issues I personally have seen. Again, not subjectively "I don't like this rule", but objective "this rule contradicts this rule" or "this rule seems to reference a non-existent other rule".

And if those kinds of things don't bother the OP, I have to say that I personally cannot agree with his opinion at all. That's just my opinion.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this:
"All extremes are bad. Except this one."

Love the game or hate it, I don't really care and I don't personally think that kind of opinions are particularly useful. It just further acts to divide the two extremes of "This edition is perfect" vs "This edition is trash". It's just not very constructive, is all.

Whether a person likes a mechanic or not, it should be possible for us as a community to agree that some issues exist, and most can be fixed with simple errata.

Encouraging Catalyst to keep their head in the game and provide excellent after-market support is a goal that benefits everyone. Proselytizing either end of the extreme, in my opinion, not so much.

Edit;
Boy do we disagree on layout, ShadowJack. I'll just leave it at that.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <10-10-19/1309:49> »
Everyone is entitled to their opinion...good, bad or otherwise. Let’s make sure we don’t crap on them because theirs differs from yours.

paw9000

• Newb
  • Can we make the blood flow up the walls?
« Reply #8 on: <10-10-19/1318:49> »
I'm a 6e fan so far.
My first exposure to Table Top RPGs was DnD 3.5 and as DnD has evolved to its current 5e I've found that I missed the simulation aspects that Dnd3.5 supported. Shadowrun 6e is scratching that simulationist itch for me.  I feel a lot more invested in the characters I create in SR 6e then I do in DnD 5e.
I've created a few SR 6e characters now and I love the feeling that I want to advance my characters.  DnD feels so stripped of player agency now that I'm losing interest in it.  In DnD sure I can collect a million gold pieces but I can't think of anything I'd want to spend it on.  If I got a million NuYen in SR 6 I can tell you right now what I'd spend it on.

ZeroSum

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <10-10-19/1356:14> »
[...] If I got a million NuYen in SR 6 I can tell you right now what I'd spend it on.
Is it a pony? I bet it's a pony :)

jman5000

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <10-10-19/1641:51> »
thanks for this thread!

as someone brand new to SR - having never played or run, BUT getting excited about a new edition and deciding to jump into a game that I've heard about for dozens of years, i was STOKED!

Ain't going to lie.  Reading the volume of negativity towards this edition started seeping into my perceptions.  it made me sad.  But nevertheless, I'm gearing up to run a session 0 in a couple of weeks, and hell bent and determined to run a SR game the way I *think* a SR game should be run.  all my players are also new to the game, so we will learn together, adjust on the fly, and some of the more extreme edge cases where the system utterly breaks - my hope - is due to our total newness to any edition of SR will be a rare occurrence, if at all.

is it broken?  don't know
is it beyond repair?  don't know
is the lack of armour calculating into Soak Stupid?  don't know
is the lack of strength factoring into melee damage dumb?  don't know
are certain priorities not making sense as presented in char gen?  don't know.

I guess - the beauty of ignorance, is ignorance...  :), and my (naive) hope is, as our game matures, so too will the 6th edition...

Cheers.

J.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #11 on: <10-10-19/1642:25> »
Everyone is entitled to their opinion...good, bad or otherwise. Let’s make sure we don’t crap on them because theirs differs from yours.
10 karma for you.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #12 on: <10-10-19/1703:02> »
I'm a 6e fan so far.
My first exposure to Table Top RPGs was DnD 3.5 and as DnD has evolved to its current 5e I've found that I missed the simulation aspects that Dnd3.5 supported. Shadowrun 6e is scratching that simulationist itch for me.  I feel a lot more invested in the characters I create in SR 6e then I do in DnD 5e.
I've created a few SR 6e characters now and I love the feeling that I want to advance my characters.  DnD feels so stripped of player agency now that I'm losing interest in it.  In DnD sure I can collect a million gold pieces but I can't think of anything I'd want to spend it on.  If I got a million NuYen in SR 6 I can tell you right now what I'd spend it on.
*Cough*Permanent High Lifestyle*Cough*

I love how an utter newbie to RPGs entirely managed to get into the game at one of my open events, and how fights are much faster to play out now. Also, you can still wallop bad guys when you get the drop on them: We utterly crushed an Assassin by unleashing 2 Trolls and a bunch of spirits on him, I wasn't even needed as backup.

Instead, I stole his bike.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <10-10-19/1705:13> »
A permanent High Lifestyle of course comes with a pony.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <10-10-19/1710:14> »
A permanent High Lifestyle of course comes with a pony.

Do we know when the Advanced Lifestyle options are coming out and who is writing them?  Asking for a friend.