NEWS

Back Up skills

• 4 Replies

JmOz01

• Omae
« on: <06-20-16/2248:01> »
My character, BackUp is designed to not be good at anything, but ok in a lot of different things.  In otherwords he is the guy who finds constant work by being good enough to get a lot of jobs done when others are not available.  Before I am asked, I enjoy him, he is doing fine at my table, and I don't need to be "The guy".

However It got me thinking, what would be needed to fill his four archtypes at your table.  Please note I am looking at the BARE minimums to be able to pull it off, not the average. 

So the question is, with an eye towards being the secondary version what would be needed at YOUR table to meet

Combatant:

Decker

Face

Mage

fseperent

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <06-20-16/2259:33> »
For rolls, I'm inclined to say 8-10 dice for secondaries.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <06-21-16/0700:58> »
For Threshold tests, like Matrix Search or grenades, 10-11 dice is generally enough.  For Opposed Tests, it's trickier.  You may want to look at things that allow you to win ties and/or don't entirely rely on net hits to stage the results, like capsule rounds and shock gloves.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

JmOz01

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <06-21-16/0709:39> »
For what it is worth, he is rolling in the 10-12 range on most things if he is ready (The character is a Health mage who uses a lot of Increase attribute spells).  However I am curious about how he would do in other games

Tym Jalynsfein

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <06-21-16/1432:34> »
I would say 10 Dice to be the solid secondary...
I put together a similar build (No Magic, No Augmentation, No Resonance) in SR4, and my targets were 12-15 for Primary, 9-11 Dice for Secondary, and 5-8 Dice for tertiary. He worked out very, very well...

I would use the same guidelines in SR5 (in fact, My Tecnomancer/Spy does mostly the same thing).
« Last Edit: <06-21-16/1435:26> by Tym Jalynsfein »
The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary. - James. D. Nicoll