NEWS

What does an armor jacket look like?

• 7 Replies

haiiro_okami

• Newb
« on: <12-17-13/2324:42> »
Just one of the things I always wondered, mostly a note of curiosity. What exactly does an armor jacket look like, am assuming at the moment like one of the more heavy-duty armored vests soldiers nowadays can be seen wearing, but am not certain.

Critter

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <12-18-13/0627:51> »
OK going to feel old here.

Armor Jacket: Available in a wide selection of tailoring, from chic street styling to the harsh ribbed and padded aesthetic of macho mitiliarism, these jackets offer substantial protection. - Shadowrun 2nd edtion.

Later the "Secure Line" of armor came along, you had Secure Jacket, Secure Longcoat and such they were a little more expensive than the basic stuff but they were much more concealable. Mind you this is still in the 2050s and 2060s (don't quote me on that, going mostly by memory and see the start of the post).

In my mind, as technology started to move towards nanites and spidersilk I would think that the older, more obvious forms of armor have fallen into disuse. The actioneer business suit for example offers really good protection and still looks like a business suit.

So maybe like this:

Or like this:
There's always one PC who just can't go with the flow.  They have to have something that sets them apart.  Something blatantly obvious to everyone who plays with them.

Moonshine Fox

• Omae
  • Proudly serving our dragon overlords
« Reply #2 on: <12-18-13/1004:05> »
The above are two good examples of the more subtle and stylish styles of armored jackets. Also look to the modern day flak jackets for a good idea of the more mill-spec style look or to the armored motorcycle jackets for another style.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #3 on: <12-18-13/1118:16> »
Those are good examples, but I think the Armor Jacket is also traditionally a long coat that can cover your legs, which is why it provides so much more armor than the Armor Vest.  That first one though looks like it'd be a good example for the top part of the Urban Explorer Jumpsuit.  One thing worth noting is that the Armor Jacket is noticeably armored, and people can tell you're wearing one.  It just doesn't stand out because it's not weird to wear a bit of protection in the Sixth World, especially if you're within shouting distance of Redmond.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

martinchaen

« Reply #4 on: <12-18-13/1156:57> »
<znip> It just doesn't stand out because it's not weird to wear a bit of protection in the Sixth World, especially if you're within SHOOTING distance of Redmond.
Fixed :-)

Critter

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <12-18-13/1423:41> »
Those are good examples, but I think the Armor Jacket is also traditionally a long coat that can cover your legs, which is why it provides so much more armor than the Armor Vest.  That first one though looks like it'd be a good example for the top part of the Urban Explorer Jumpsuit.  One thing worth noting is that the Armor Jacket is noticeably armored, and people can tell you're wearing one.  It just doesn't stand out because it's not weird to wear a bit of protection in the Sixth World, especially if you're within shouting distance of Redmond.

Sure, I wanted to have an example of obvious and subtle.
There's always one PC who just can't go with the flow.  They have to have something that sets them apart.  Something blatantly obvious to everyone who plays with them.

Vidnaut

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <12-18-13/1941:33> »
Well it's not like there's much room for interpretation on what a "jacket" entails for articles of clothing.

An outer garment extending either to the waist or the hips, typically having sleeves and a fastening down the front.

anything that stretches further down than that is a coat.

Sure, I wanted to have an example of obvious and subtle.

Obvious and subtle are as subjective as determining where the Blandness positive quality applies and does not apply.  If it looks out-of-place in the location you're at, it's not subtle, simple as that.  The lined coat and armored jacket have been popular garb in the sprawl Street/Squatter/Low/Middle-class areas for 30+ years, people there are usually going to be paying more attention to your style and metatype (walking/driving while trog).  Maybe you'd get minor hassling by a beat cop while wearing a matte-black lined coat like they see in all the shadowrunner trids.

It's not about how much is covered but what you cover and how thick it is there and the materials composing the article of protective garb.  Armor vests are thinner since they're built to be worn under clothing without revealing bulk but is worn in the highest priority protection area for most combatants.  The armor jacket covers arms but it's much thicker in the same places that the armor vest covers which offers overall better protection.  Lined coats cover more area overall but I'm thinking most of the thickness is concentrated in the torso sections as well as sacrificing protection for ergonomics oriented towards concealment which leaves its abstracted value of protection similar to an armor vest.

EDIT: ARGH!  MY EYES!  WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT TO US CRITTER!?
« Last Edit: <12-18-13/1943:25> by Vidnaut »

martinchaen

« Reply #7 on: <12-19-13/0930:04> »
I always envisioned the armored jacket as something between a bomber jacket and a leather motorcycle jacket, or, depending on where you are as Vidnaut points out, a fully obvious (to us) armored jacket.

Something like the top and bottom right for the armored jacket and the armored vest is what I was thinking.

The top jacket is obviously armored, hence you wouldn't wear it to a fancy dinner party, and the vest is a vest, but they don't stand out like full body military armor. They might not be subtle, but they provide good protection for all vital organs.