NEWS

Post Errata Skillwire Technos...

• 19 Replies

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #15 on: <05-25-18/2251:21> »
If your drop to res 1 Gemstar, you're not playing internet wizard anymore.
You're play a hacker who's got a some out of the box tricks. L2 Spirits are cute fuzzy and sure they can do some stuff, but a level 6 will take a lot further a lot faster. If TM are gonna be viable in 5th, then the resonance method has to be viable, and not just kinda it needs to be as strong in the matrix as magic is in the non-electronic world. It's not there yet, we lack a long list of the tool mages have. Until we get those i don't think this gonna go that far. TM's need foci equivalence, the need means to use programs without submersion, and they need the ability to generate a PAN or at-least act like it.

The Smart Gun, Complex Forum would also really helpful, for starting TMs.

If a TM cannot be as effective as a starting Decker then where are we?
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

FST_Gemstar

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <05-26-18/1221:26> »
I agree that technomancers should have a Resonance-based way of being an effective hacker. You know I have advocated for that for a long time. 

They just don't. 

The way the Matrix is set up, technomancer hackers need the same skillset at deckers anyway (plus their technoskills) because they need to be able to get marks to do any host work (basically, they need to max hacking dicepools). This is their fundamental problem. If you have to be as skillful as a decker anyway, it would be redundant to use technomancery powers to get a job done. 

So to me, the way to optimze a technomancer is really to just play one like a decker, trading some benefits of a deck for the benefits/issues of a technomancering. 

This build isn't emblematic of a "brain-decker" (I probably have one posted somewhere), but uses similar concepts (use Resonance just to get a living persona. Use 'ware/drugs to boost living persona stats and matrix dicepools and to cover physical limitations that less 'wared technos usually have). I think most of my brain-deckers end up being something like EDCAB (high natural skills and 'ware boosted attributes instead of the skillwire techno with very low natural skills).

Basically, techomancers are just deckers who choose a Resonance C living persona instead of a Resources C Deck. It's mostly a cosmetic trade-off but not entirely.

Deckers can shove more 'ware into themselves, can often start with more edge (important for hacking), and get the benefits of a configurable deck, programs, agent, and not always taking so much direct damage. 

Technomancers, even at low-resonance, don't have to pay for a deck, can get a living persona that is quite beyond most purchaseable decks (especially with the use of 'ware/drugs), can access sprites and CFs (don't discount OS basically becoming a non-issue), a few meaningful echoes (while skinlink and FFF are basically the only worthwhile echoes, they are both very worthwhile). 

Their hacking style is going to be similar... Configure persona with drugs/programs, do matrix actions (often with assistance of agents/sprites), get out. Skinlinked technomancers with Static Veil/Cleaner get the benefit of taking their time, but often at the risk to their own safety in ways that deckers can more easily avoid.

So I think technomancer hackers work best rules as they use Resonance mostly just for the living persona. As they are, Resonance is generally so much more limited than Magic, and comparing them directly doesn't work. Magic 6 is great for full magicians because they can use that magic rating powerfully in a lot of different areas. Technomancers, not so much. Having a living persona is what makes a technomancer, and you only need Res 1 for that. The value of the persona is based on mental attributes, where investing in 'ware goes a lot farther. 

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <05-29-18/0112:44> »
I do apologize if I seemed like I was questioning your commitment to TM. I know between you and Firebug, I don't think anyone else on the board is even close to being as committed to keeping TM alive.
Thinking
com
speaking

FST_Gemstar

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <05-30-18/1840:39> »
Didn't mean to sound harsh  ;) 

At this point, being able to having a persona and do matrix things without a deck is as "internet wizard" as technomancers are going to be for me. CFs/Sprites don't really have the effect of making a technomancer more effective or unique in their matrix work, just add clunk to the matrix system that was designed for decking.   

Playing a conventional hacking technomancer is just too clunky for my playstyle in a game that is already way too clunky. So my Matrix characters tend to be deckers or "brain-deckers," technomancers who trade a Resource C deck for a Resonance C living persona and play basically like deckers. Actually they are even more streamlined than deckers in many ways because they don't worry about programs, reconfiguring, matrix monitors, have simple ways to make OS basically a non-issue, etc. 

But as you know, my preference are for non-hacking technomancers all together, rebranding them as wizards of the matrix of things aka Diagnostics exploiters. 

We can hope for the future that a Matrix can work both for those who access it with tech/nerdy skillset AND those who access it with Innate Internet Magic and Techno-Mystical skillset.
« Last Edit: <05-30-18/1843:42> by FST_Gemstar »

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <06-02-18/0049:09> »
i do think Diagnostic exploitation is something I'd voted to stomp on. in just about every other edition of SR. I would always seek to protect it currently simply b/c I agree it's really one of the few  viable option TM have. But I'm hoping that all will change we will get some sort of rational changes. Though the Mods do seem to have gotten very quite on Kill Code all of a sudden. Which is starting to make me nervous.
Thinking
com
speaking