NEWS

Random 4E questions

• 1 Replies

Relic_Zero

• Newb
« on: <11-28-16/1816:47> »
Hey Chummers.  Getting prepped to one day play some Shadowrun, and I haven't really ever played before so I had some random questions I've picked up along the way.

My character concept is street sam / face so most of these questions have come from trying to build a character for that role.  Any input is greatly appreciated.

1) Does the Stealth program help hide your commlink from detection/hacking?  I know most people recommend having the wireless turned off and running with skinlink on all your devices, but I was just curious about if stealth would help if you were broadcasting.

2) If you are searching the matrix for information via your commlink with an agent, do you use your data search skill plus the agents rating?  Or whichever is higher? 

3) Would I need the computer skill really if I'm playing a sam/face?  Also would I need the command or edit programs at char gen?

4) How does a subvocal mic really work?  Do you need a com to run it?  Does having cyberware that has a DNI or trodes replace the need for a subvocal mic?

5) If your comm is slaved to a hacker and they go hacked.  Does that mean your comm is then open for the enemy hacker, or would they then also have to go through your com's defenses?

6)  If your using a sensor like a nonlinear junction detector is that displayed on the device or does it show through your image link?

7)  If I have my commlink optimized for say browse, does that still limit browse to my system rating?  So a system of 5 with a rating 5 browse program with optimize on the commlink could run a browse 6?  or still limited by the 5 system?

Again any answers would be helpful, I know they are a bit all over the place, but as I come across stuff I was unsure about I was trying to find some answers.  Thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: <11-28-16/2129:23> by Relic_Zero »

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <11-29-16/1434:09> »
I'll give it a shot.

Hey Chummers.  Getting prepped to one day play some Shadowrun, and I haven't really ever played before so I had some random questions I've picked up along the way.

My character concept is street sam / face so most of these questions have come from trying to build a character for that role.  Any input is greatly appreciated.

1) Does the Stealth program help hide your commlink from detection/hacking?  I know most people recommend having the wireless turned off and running with skinlink on all your devices, but I was just curious about if stealth would help if you were broadcasting.

It does, as it helps hiding you from matrix perception tests and trace user attempts.  But better is running in hidden mode.

2) If you are searching the matrix for information via your commlink with an agent, do you use your data search skill plus the agents rating?  Or whichever is higher? 

it's agent+program (probably browse).  Your own skill doesn't come into play here.

3) Would I need the computer skill really if I'm playing a sam/face?  Also would I need the command or edit programs at char gen?

It depends.  I often take it at 1 just to have it (everybody learns a bit about computers, right), but unless you really plan on going a lot on the matrix, it's not really needed.  For programs you have to have analyse, browse and encrypt, while edit and scan are quite useful.

4) How does a subvocal mic really work?  Do you need a com to run it?  Does having cyberware that has a DNI or trodes replace the need for a subvocal mic?

I'm not sure about this one, but it doesn't cost all that much, so it's not really a problem to have it.  It can also help as a back-up system if nothing else.

5) If your comm is slaved to a hacker and they go hacked.  Does that mean your comm is then open for the enemy hacker, or would they then also have to go through your com's defenses?

I think so, but again, not sure.  But if I recall correctly, if a hacker goes into the master, he can access everything that is slaved to it.  Of course, you're analyse program is still running, so it has a chance to detect any anomalies.

6)  If your using a sensor like a nonlinear junction detector is that displayed on the device or does it show through your image link?

I guess that depends on how your GM sees all these sensors, but for me it should be possible to link them on your commlink and from there to your goggles or what you have.

7)  If I have my commlink optimized for say browse, does that still limit browse to my system rating?  So a system of 5 with a rating 5 browse program with optimize on the commlink could run a browse 6?  or still limited by the 5 system?

No, optimization allows you to go over it, but there is a limit of twice your system's rating.  So in your case it has a maximum of 10.  I'm always run analyse with optimization so I can get it at rating 6 not matter my system and I run it also with the ergonomic option so it doesn't take any resources.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"