NEWS

[5e OOC] And The Rain Keeps Falling

• 575 Replies

Pixelated

• Newb
« Reply #75 on: <07-11-16/1427:42> »
Oh I thought that was the same thing as Stealth.....yes Stealth is the one I want :)

CraterShip

• Omae
« Reply #76 on: <07-11-16/1507:43> »
Never really looked at copying, as the rules have you either run from an RCC across all drones of a certain type, our have the drone individually loaded with the program, which would mean buying several copies of the same thing. However, I do like the idea you present, and I think it would be possible. So I'll go with it, just cause I know how much of a money sink riggers already have to deal with. So yeah, just buy one copy for each drone model.

gwilym

• Chummer
« Reply #77 on: <07-11-16/1547:26> »
whos going to ask him for his clothes his boots and his motocycle?
You are not what you think you are. you are an imitation of what your wish you were

gwilym

• Chummer
« Reply #78 on: <07-11-16/1610:47> »
on a more serious note I do need contacts with flare comp/smartlink/image link, and a better comlink with trodes and a good security set up. just saying.
You are not what you think you are. you are an imitation of what your wish you were

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #79 on: <07-11-16/1633:06> »
The smartlink alone would be more than the 1500 up front in equipment, gwilym. Better learn to live without it for now ;)

CraterShip

• Omae
« Reply #80 on: <07-11-16/2259:40> »
Yes, biomedical, and that's exactly why I brought it up during character creation that you were gonna have an interesting time.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #81 on: <07-12-16/0127:24> »
What does Ichante know about HMHVV? I'll roll Magical Theory, since HMHVV is Awakened.

Logic 2 + Magical Theory 4: 6d6t5 2 hits, I'll say that's worth a bit, but nothing extensive.

Assensing Pixel: Intuition 8 + Assensing 6 + Aura Reading 2: 16d6t5 3 hits, not the greatest, given the dice pool. I can't spot the bioware, just the datajack, reaction enhancer, and muscle replacement.

Can Ichante resist splurging on toys? I'll roll Composure with a self-imposed threshold of 3.

Willpower 7 + Charisma 3: 10d6t5 2 hits, nope, she's splurging. Now I just have to figure out what she is splurging on.

Pixelated

• Newb
« Reply #82 on: <07-12-16/0633:31> »
I have a question I may have missed somewhere.... how are we handling rolls? Our own dice? An app? Online roller we cut and paste from? I do have this neat cyberdeck aid app I found, it looks awesome ^^ Plus other die rollers...should I use those?

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #83 on: <07-12-16/0742:17> »
Pixelated:
Orokos is the roller we use the most on here.
http://orokos.com/roll/?action=roll
http://orokos.com/roll/?action=dicehelp

You can simply use 10d6t5 for example to roll 10 dice that'll automatically count 5s and 6s as hits; note that you still need to count the number of 1s to see if you rolled a glitch, which in 5th Edition happens if you roll MORE THAN 50% of your dice as 1s. If you want to use Edge (unlikely, with your Edge attribute of 1 :) ), you just use 10d6h5 instead.

10 is the number of dice, d6 is the type of dice, and t is target number while h is referred to as "hits" where each hit grans a bonus roll.

For example:
Without edge: 10d6t5: 4 [10d6t5=1, 3, 5, 4, 6, 6, 4, 4, 3, 6]
Straight forward roll with 10 dice, and 4 results of 5 or higher.

With edge to Push the Limit: 10d6h5: 8 [10d6h5=2, 5, 1, [6, 6, 1], 5, 3, 2, [6, 5], 5, 5]
Here the first six granted a bonus roll, which resulted in another six and thus another bonus roll.

When you use the roller you'll get a BB code link just below it, and you can also view the entire roll history for the campaign (if you use the same name every time) or person.
For example, here's my roll history: http://orokos.com/roll/m-Herr+Brackhaus
Here's this campaign history: http://orokos.com/roll/c-And+The+Rain+Keeps+Falling

All
Great roleplaying all around so far, I'm loving this!
« Last Edit: <07-14-16/0802:57> by Herr Brackhaus »

Pixelated

• Newb
« Reply #84 on: <07-12-16/0828:10> »
Okay gotcha. Thanks! Now for the RNG gods to smite me lol By the way though that app is a great quick ref for deckers....lists everything for you, what attribute they use, your dice etc etc and you can input deck stats and char stats. Very handy! saves me from trolling the book for what actikns do what ^^

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #85 on: <07-12-16/0839:31> »
Pff, you youngsters today with your app for this and app for that. In my day we did everything on notepaper in pencil! :D

Pixelated

• Newb
« Reply #86 on: <07-12-16/0905:21> »
Lol ! I dunno if I qualify as a youngster anymore   ;D but....its still neat  8)

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #87 on: <07-12-16/1012:23> »
Pff, you youngsters today with your app for this and app for that. In my day we did everything on notepaper in pencil! :D

yeah,yeah, yeah, and the trix was wired and your elves and trolls had allergies to ferrous metals and drek like that, and Maria Mercurial was all the rage.  Did you play the earlier editions?  Were the rule sets any more consistent when FASA was running things?
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #88 on: <07-12-16/1042:05> »
Pixelated
For sure, references are always good. I still believe in learning things the hard way so you gain an understanding of what the rules are and, in the case of the Matrix, what the different actions are good for. To my mind, it's the difference between learning and understanding formula in math or physics and working through a problem, and being able to plug in the variables on a TI-81 (is my age showing? Those things were SOTA tech during my early years :) ) and getting a result.

rednblack
Yeah, I came from 1st (just a little bit of playing) and 2nd edition (a lot of playing); I'd say the FASA rules were absolutely more consistent, and that was even when they were significantly more complex. I mean, decking in 2nd Edition was an exercise in patience like no other.

Now, that doesn't necessarily mean I think earlier editions were better (I don't, in fact); 5th Edition got a lot of things right as far as I'm concerned, streamlining being one of them. But, you've hit the problem on the head with regards to the rules being inconsistent; there's just so many variables to account for, like what counts as an augmentation, or how cyberlimbs are used to calculate attributes for any given action. Still, I think 5th is an improvement in most cases, and I certainly don't miss 2nd Edition (especially where decking is concerned) from a rules perspective.

And Maria Mercurial is STILL the best damned synth-artist ever. *grumble*
« Last Edit: <07-12-16/1045:23> by Herr Brackhaus »

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #89 on: <07-12-16/1427:01> »
I've been playing for 23 years now, which puts me early into 2nd Edition.

The Matrix of 2E and 3E is fully deserving of its reputation: tons of micromanagement combined with a complete lack of involvement from anyone else who wasn't a decker or the GM. Matrix hosts were a beast for GMs to generate intelligently. The system would be ideal for a video game, where the computer could handle the on-the-fly calculations and where the game developers could take care of the Matrix design, but for a pen-and-paper GMs it was practically a second job.

I really love the tone of 1E/2E, where you got a palpable sense that the Sixth World was strange and unpredictable and that the developers were having just as much fun figuring things out as the players were. The game world has matured over the last 27 years and the changes are more incremental, likely because the current developers grew up playing it and inherited a lot of the lore. Or maybe new players still get that same sense of wonder and exploration that I did, but I just had it for 2E instead of 5E. I have a pet theory that some of the tone differences are due to the physical books themelves. In 2E/3E, the books were black-and-white and usually paperback (very cyberpunk) versus 4E/5E where the books are in color (including just the basic page background) and the pages are glossy in hardback books (less cyberpunk).

That said, I like 5E's rules the best of all. I will be the first to agree that there are gaps and imperfections - my list of proposed house rules grows daily - but I feel like it is improving with each edition. I'll figure out how to elbow my way onto the rules committee someday.